Shunning via US Postal Service

by Thechickennest 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

The last time we saw my husband's family, I noticed the professional photos of our children were missing from the mantle. Someone in the family made a point of asking if we had any current ones. MIL said she did. She had to dig them out of a stack of garbage (she is a slovenly packrat). She said she can't bear to see such beautiful children who have no chance at a 'real life'. I wish she would return them, as we did not have enough to go around. Neighbors on both sides of us are like grandparents. Would it be bad of me to ask for them back?

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Duane - just when I thought I had heard it all!

To me, it really underscores the mean spirit that seems to underlie JW shunning. I would interpret her action as that of someone who leads a dreary life and has limited control over hers and others' lives, so gets her sense of importance by engaging in an explicit act of rejection. If she were genuinely happy in her life as a Jehovah's Witness, she wouldn't need to reach out to you in an act of rejection. There's a blatant sense of manipulation behind her actions. JW shunning amounts to little more than emotional blackmail - pure and simple.

Did the sender provide a return address? I suppose you could play dumb and write her a thank you note saying that you had lost your copies of those photos and appreciate her thoughtfulness in providing her with much needed copies!

Imagine spending 1,000 years with such people!

steve2

• freedom96
    freedom96

Just when you think you have heard it all............ then this.

I can't imagine people such as this think they have God's blessing on being so cruel. By giving pictures back, as described, do they really think you will come back to the WTS?

I also love the Christmas card idea. However, to make it work, make sure the envelope does not show what is inside, as we want to make sure that they open the card each time. And inside, make sure you have happy pictures of yourself.

You will have to change it every year, and make sure your address is always different, as we don't want these cards and pictures going to waste now, do we?

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

There's a blatant sense of manipulation behind her actions. JW shunning amounts to little more than emotional blackmail - pure and simple.

Steve2: Thank you for this. I think this sums up the JW shunning about as well as I have ever heard...Emotional Blackmail. I really appreciated hearing from all of you and your experiences and advice. I am ready to become the apostate from hell from this point on! No mercy! The Christmas cards are going to fly! New photos of God only knows what are going in the mail! I have been happy up to this point to quietly move on. Joined my old church, Serve on the church boards, teach Sunday School, the whole nine yards. Now after all these years we get pictures back in the mail...Holy Crap! I have an additional mission now! Let me add one more antedote about this: Our teenage daughter took a look at the envelope this evening that came in the mail... and low and behold the mean spirited former friend used a Catholic themed Christmas stamp to send it!

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Funny people those witnesses...

About 15 years ago my mom disowned my brother because he is atheist. At that time he had already been faded for well over 10 years and was married with two children.

I flew out and spent a few days with him and his family, took pictures and one came out particularly well. I decided to have a bunch of copies made. Gave one to my dad, one to each of my other siblings and several for his in-laws.

My mom showed up at my house one day demanding a picture. "I'm sorry. I didn't make a copy for you." "How can you not do that. How dare you!!. That's my family, too. Why would you humiliate me like that? BLAH BLAH BLAH"

"But mom. You've told us all that you have disowned him. You gave me grief for even going to visit them. WHY would I give you a picture? I didn't think you'd want one. Wouldn't that have been flaunting my relationghip with my brother?"

She stormed out. Crying and sobbing.

Those people. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Bit of an opposite story, I know. But it sort of related...

-Aude.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Would it be bad of me to ask for them back?
    Little Red Hen -

I would absolutely ask for them back.

Apparently you have inadvertently thrown your pearls before swine. Try to get them back before they are rudely pooped on.

-Aude.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think this is the best advice you got, right here:

I suppose you could play dumb and write her a thank you note saying that you had lost your copies of those photos and appreciate her thoughtfulness in providing her with much needed copies!

I think this would be a bigger eye opener than trying to hurt this lady.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Dave is absolutely right:

Yeah. Like that's going to encourage you to go back to the KH. How pathetic.

Considering JWs are forever saying "There's always hope" to the effect that someone might return to the KH, it looks like it's already been decided you're a lost cause! Join the club!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit