The Assumption Widely Ridiculed .. But Rarely Discussed

by metatron 32 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Tx Midget. I've read Communion and Transformation. No, not all are menacing. I, however, felt as violated as I did when my apartment had been broken into and robbed. I was trespassed upon, even though the target wasnt me.

I'm actually no longer interested in pursuing any more info on it. Right now, Theorhetical Physics has captured my attention...

I believe we are onle of many, many one intelligent species in the universe(s). Even on our own planet!

That there are angels, fallen angels, and so on, is only a god-based description of another life form in a different dimension.

• jws
    jws

Wasn't the round earth theory supposed to collapse Christianity? Wasn't the fact that the earth wasn't the center of the universe supposed to collapse Christianity?

Fact is, they've all survived it. Maybe with some reinterpretation, but they survived. The problem seemed to be with people making assumptions from scriptures. Today, some people may think that scriptures show that there is no intelligent life out there. Yet there are many Christians who believe in ET. So the two are not mutually exclusive.

If ET ever does show up, I think there might be a reinterpretation for some people, but I think the "revealed religions" will survive.

I'm only familiar with Christianity. Where does the Bible specifically state there can't be other planets with life. I think these are mosly inferences (like the earth being flat or the earth being the center of the universe). Our Bible could refer only to our earth and humans. As a person, you could run several businesses, each with their own employees and each with different functions and different employee handbooks.

• metatron
    metatron

I don't see how "reinterpretation" fits into a scenario wherein Jesus and Angels and such are just ET visitors brought here

by flying saucers! I suppose Unitarians ( "the church for atheists with kids") wouldn't be affected much but fundy types would have

a fit. Lots of people would freak out and I can't really blame the Pentagon types entirely for trying to stifle this stuff.

metatron

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

. . .don' t Bogart that joint.

• Tigerman
  • Tigerman
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Christianity would suvive if intelligent alien life was found, or found us, or has already found us and reveals itself. The ideological threat could even bring about a circling of the christian wagons effect. Aliens could also become the new 'pagans that must be converted w the gospel'.

Christianity/the bible has so many internally conflicting ideas/fuzzy logic that a stream of thought that goes w the new development would be siezed upon to perpetuate it. Those who have learned some of the 10 letter theological terms know about what i am speaking (but they might not agree w me).

Carry on christian soldiers

S

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Christianity would suvive if intelligent alien life was found, or found us, or has already found us and reveals itself. The ideological threat could even bring about a circling of the christian wagons effect. Aliens could also become the new 'pagans that must be converted w the gospel'.

ok, now that would bother me. especially if the JW's got their claws into them. converting an advanced, intelligent race of creatures (they conquered Space travel) into a bunch of bible-thumping fundamentalists. the first thing i'd ask if i were an alien who christians were trying to convert is 'ok if your human bible is the word of the god of the cosmos, why doesn't it mention us anywhere in there'?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Whatever the case, it is most unwise to devote your life to ANY REVEALED RELIGION - particularily at this time.

Now, the other side of the coin (playing the Devil's Advocate...excuse the pun) Why would THIS time be any different than any other time? All we have is the "present"... that's all anyone has who has ever lived. "Unwise"? -- how so? One can devote their time as they see fit, only they can walk in their own shoes....it's no one elses business. If there's no God, Heaven, after-life, then everyone's in the same boat and they're going to miss nothing when they're dead, 'cause they'll know nothing. But, if there is a plan to this Creation, i.e. Heaven, etc. then their devotion will probably pay off.

There is no logic in centering your life around a potential 'castle made of sand' - based on an assumption you can never prove.

Of course the assumption that their is no God, etc. carries the higher burden of proof since you can NEVER prove a negative. And between the two, there is more logic in the affirmative than in the negative.

• Justin
    Justin

When the first flying saucer I ever saw landed, a little green alien came out and asked, "May I take a moment of your time? I'm in the neighborhood today to share some good news with you . . ."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit