The Assumption Widely Ridiculed .. But Rarely Discussed

by metatron 32 Replies latest jw friends

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

It's worth noting that there is a great conceptual difference between believing in intelligent extraterrestrial life and believing that UFOs are alien spacecraft, and that their pilots abduct people late at night.

For one, that a species could evolve independently from our own on another planet and look exactly like us, only with bigger, blacker eyes and pale skin without deliberate intervention is utterly untenable. As another poster already pointed out, such depictions of aliens are too similar to past supernatural figures to ignore their psychological, archetypal significance.

Put another way, extraterrestrials would look a whole helluva lot different than we do. They'd probably have some kind of fur and eyes, since these evolved several times independently on Earth, but there the similarities would end.

• Valis
    Valis
    They'd probably have some kind of fur and eyes,

I wished I was alive when Chewbacca comes to eath.. *LOL* really though, meta, thanks for thi thread, I think about it all the time actually. It would be interesting to see the response globally from religions about what it means for them to have to share a universe.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hey valis, aren't you extraterrestrial?

Sincerely satan

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Wait just a darn minute I thought all aliens were quantum prespetarians!

• Valis
    Valis
    Hey valis, aren't you extraterrestrial?

No I am from hell so that would be Interterrestrial or Innerterrestrial? Or the moon would do fine...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Satanus
    Satanus

Umm, ok. *Passes spliff* So, that's where i saw you before.

S

• Satanus
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Metatron:I don't have any trouble with the concept, though you do make a few assumptions of your own.

There is no logic in centering your life around a potential 'castle made of sand' - based on an assumption you can never prove.

...because of an assumption that at this time you can't prove??
    Religion survived the discovery that the earth travels around the sun, and that the stars in the sky are just other suns...

Asian cultures wouldn't have much of a problem with it, particularily Taoist, Confucian, Buddhist, and Hindu.

So this is specifically another Christian bashing thread?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Religion survived the discovery that the earth travels around the sun, and that the stars in the sky are just other suns...

As tenacious as a cockroach, isn't it?

So this is specifically another Christian bashing thread?

I think Christianity would have a harder time than many other religions if it were proven that there are intelligent beings in the universe, for whom Christ did not die. Could they be redeemed by his death as a human? Did he also go to their planet and die? Are they in need of redemption? Are they also created in God's image? And so on. Of course, my belief system would take a blow if the risen Christ returned in the clouds, but until one of those things happens, it's all just speculation

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:

As tenacious as a cockroach, isn't it?

Given that they are expected to survive a nuclear holocaust, I would place it at about that, yup
    Note that I use the term religion, not just Christianity.
    Though the Catholic church fought against those concepts, they ultimately had little theological impact, for all the initial fears. Man's religion tends to be as versatile as the mind that contains it, hence its' longevity.

...it's all just speculation

Aye, it cuts both ways, as you rightly (and fairly) point out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit