Some people followed Jehovah's Organization, and God killed 'em

by AlmostAtheist 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I agree that dubs might take issue with the "Aaron and the golden calf" episode because the people pressured him, even though, as AlmostAtheist points out, it would be a weak protest. Perhaps a stronger example would be one from 1-2 Kings, as Leolaia points out. How about when Jeroboam set up the golden calf for the people who lived far from Jerusalem. I don't have a citation on that - I'm sure someone will be able to find that text (pretty please?). There again you had God's channel directing the people to evil.

I still like the Aaron episode better because by the time we get to the kings, there is some confusion as to who is really "God's channel." Is it the king? The priests? What if they disagree? (And what happens if the Writing Department disagrees with the Service Department? )

SNG

• upside/down
    upside/down

All the points here point to individual responsibility, remember when Jehu called a festival to Baal? Obedience to the "org" was not what was most important!

As for Aarons problems, remember there were non-Israelites in the bunch "a great mixed company". And the calf was merely used as an "idol" in a "festival to Jehovah", and we know "God " hates idolatry and obviously was making a point. Either way "God" played judge in that matter and He had every right to do what He did. Again, how can we question a direct act of "God". Now if Aaron had been on a JC on the other hand I might raise an eyebrow.

To the extreme critic- is "God" ever right? Is He capable of any decision or action without our "arm chair expert" opinion. Does He have to disclose every detail of every matter inorder to be justified? Hell the government I live under doesn't even do that. They hide EVERYTHING.

Let's be fair

u/d

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Don't get me wrong, U/D, this isn't a "God's unfair" thread. It's a "Personal responsibility is what counts to God, not obedience to any organization" thread. The point is not that God was unfair in who he punished, but that the people who disobeyed God's organization (Aaron) and refused to participate in calf worship were the ones favored by God after the event.

It's meant to make a point to JW's that blindly obeying the organization isn't such a great or blessed idea.

Why Aaron got away with his involvement in the affair is not relevant to the thread.

Dave

• upside/down
    upside/down

Absotively, Posolutely!

This is an excellent point, Aaron although acting as the "visible channel" was WRONG, and people did not have to follow his lead. As a matter of fact most didn't. But the consequences for the "error" rested on the individual.

The Dub's cannot reconcile their shunning and "never question us" stance, or you're an apostate. They are wrong, and where they are wrong I refuse to go along with it, even if I'm shunned or worse. what takes more courage and "faith"?

u/d

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well this is another example of how wishy washy the whole religion is. They tell us, "Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." (Hebrews 11:1 NWT)", and yet, they also tell us their whole faith is based on study of the bible and they are the only religion I know of to arrange British Museum trips to back up the bible with historical "evidence". In other words, have faith in God, who you cannot see, but actually, you don't need faith... instead look at this evidence.

In my mind the religion does not only lack faith but love, but I digress.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I still recall an elder saying, if you follow the faithful and discreet slave and they are wrong, you will not be held accountable or words to that effect and I just thought..... isnt that what you criticize all other religious people for doing?

sounds like nazi propaganda, sounded that way to me then.... one of the things that kept making me wake up from the JW trance was something my non-JW mom told me.... what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hondo....Note that I said "according to the WTS". :)

• upside/down
    upside/down

Zen- I agree, that way of reasoning didn't "wash" at the Nuremburg trials- did it?

If they really believed that line of BS, than how could they ever make a "disciple"?

Illogical

u/d (Spock)lol

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Devils advocate here-

Ex 32:1; And when the people saw that moses delayed to come down out of the mount the people gathered themselves together unto aaron and said unto him, make us gods which shall go before us; for as for this moses the man that brought us up out of the land of egypt we wot not what is become of him

Ex 32:7; And the lord said unto moses go get thee down for thy people which thou broughtest out ot the land of egypt have corrupted themselves

So even god didnt' blame aaron it was the people who had rebelled... just my .02

Actually to me Ex 32:14 is more interesting- "And the Lord repented to the evil which he thought to do unto his people... WTF I thought this jehober dude was perfect????

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Let's get the JW version of the antetypes correct:

Moses = ???, that's right, Jesus. Jesus is obviously not part of the earthly organization today.

Aaron = ???, that's right, Jesus.

The Faithful and Discreet Slave = ???, that's right, the Jews released from captivity.

The vast mixed company = ???, that's right, the other sheep who hitched a ride on the skirts of the Jews.

So, the earthly organization today is prefigured by the ones responsible. Individually responsible. I have source material for anyone who needs to prove that this is the proper current "light" regarding the typical players.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit