Regarding Dates---Have The Witnesses Ever Been Correct On Any Of Them?

by minimus 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Simon, why is my text coming out as a solid block when I separate them into paragraphs?

Edit: If I double tap on the paragraphs it comes out like the above. ??? 

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    VI, good post. Of course they weren't correct on guessing WW1. The connection of the war to the date only occurred much later.  What we have related to the date and the organization is - good marketing.  They were masters of the spin.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

They got the horn-blowing in Cedar Point Ohio in 1922 correct.

Rub a Dub 

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    From the date of creation itself to the date 4026 BCE (I think) for Adam's creation past 607 BCE and past 1975 and right down to "the 20th century" prediction for the last days (or Armageddon or whatever they now deny), they have always been wrong.    
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not only they never get any dates right, but they don't even leave anything for anyone else to do better.  At least when I try predicting something with astrology, someone who is a master at astrology can one-up me and probably do better.  Also, there is usually a lag between when the aspect happens and the manifestation, due to the trigger event happening on or just after the aspect being unseen (and the event we see happening later).  The washtowel, and all these other religious nuts that cannot even provide a sensible model to base their predictions on, don't even have that going for them.

Nor can anyone else who is more an expert in that aspect of divination do better.

• smiddy
    smiddy

They had two dates for the end of 6000 year rule by Satan , the first in the late 1800`s and the second one was 1975 .

One thing Rutherford got right was his statement " Religion Is A Snare and A Racket"

smiddy

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

None of this matters.  It's the fact that they have been "watching" that placates Witnesses when challenged with this. I have mentioned this to a few friends as well as my wife.  I have asked them to name one date or event that was predicted that came true.

1914 is the classic but they all have to admit that the expectation of what would actually happen was wrong.

Regardless, they just say that the fact that the F&DS were looking for something is proof enough.  Who else is doing the witnessing?  What other religion has the growth of the Witnesses?  Who has a worldwide, united brotherhood like the Witnesses?  Who is talking about God's kingdom like the Witnesses?  

Cognative dissonance is a mighty, mighty, mighty strong force.

• minimus
    minimus
    Do JWs recognize any of the chronology from their publications as being correct at the present time? Do they still believe in the date of creation, 4026, as accurate? Jesus' birth, October 1 or 2 , 2 bye?
  • minimus
    minimus
    B.c.e.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

smiddy:

"They had two dates for the end of 6000 year rule by Satan , the first in the late 1800`s and the second one was 1975 ."

They claim that they corrected a 100 year error in the original chronology. That made 1874 turn into 1975 (maybe there was another 1 year error).

In any case one thing that is never mentioned is their assumption that the years were supposed to be 360 days long instead of 365.25. They claim that the Babylonian year was 360 days long but that is utterly false. With an actual year you would have 365.25 X 7 = 2556.75 starting at 607 B.C.E. (according to their claim about that date.). That would give a 7 year period ending in 1949 (I may be off by a year.).

Correct 607 B.C.E. to 587 you add another 20 years. Let them spin that! 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit