Why did you get baptized?

by NoLongerAjw 34 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

I was too young to know better. When you think about, even 15 or 16 is far too young to commit one's entire life to a cause.
    Especially if their baptism is the end point of years of indoctrination with no exposure to any other point of view. A question for Godrules. At what age could one legitimately claim to have been too young to have been fully aware of what they were doing? 12?? 9?? When the society rips other religions for infant baptism, it's the greatest hypocrisy. When it comes to determining what one believes about the meaning of life and how it should best be led, there is no difference between 12 days and 12 years.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Troll alert.

Well I always said that the Society discourages young marriages because you aren't old enough to make that kind of commitment.

Baptism is different somehow? Gotta' get 'em all!

Slipnslidemaster: "The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
    - Salvador Dali

• GodRules
    GodRules

voltaire: I know you can't be serious. How can you compare baptism of infants to baptism of a 12-year old? You must have been an idiot at 12. I know 12 year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

GR,

Are you saying YOU are as mature as a 40 year old? Or just telling us you still think like you were 12?

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• GodRules
    GodRules

When JC said to be as a child, did he mean think as a child?

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

it was for a damn girl..."uh my father wont let us be together because you are not baptised"..........i was 17..so i took the plunge...funny thing is, we umm...sinned..the very night of my baptism...she later got pregnant by some other guy and was df'd.....that stupid whore

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

If God dropped acid, would he see people? -- Steven Wright

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I did it for two reasons:

1. I thought it would repair a bad relationship I had with my father. I knew it would make him proud of me.

2. All of my best friends were either already baptized or getting baptized that DC. I was very convincing when it came to answering the questions. I think I learned as a JW to say whatever I could to fit the goal of the moment.

Sad reasons and it was totally MY doing. But wrong reasons none-the-less.

Billygoat

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Slip,

Well I always said that the Society discourages young marriages because you aren't old enough to make that kind of commitment

I totally agree...there were so many things we 'young people' weren't mature enough to handle responsibly but when it came to making a life altering decision, that was no prob!!! Sheesh, the hypocrisy makes me ill.

I was 13 when I got baptized...interestingly enough, this came less than a year after the nightly rapes stopped...so what say you all?? That I was 'mature' enough to make such a decision?? Funny how when I broached this very subject with certain elders, I couldn't get any kind of direct answer from them...they treated me like I was trying to shirk responsibility or something...hmmmmm, now why does that sound familiar???

I forgot to mention that my entire extended family was JW...there was a great deal of pressure to get baptized...in fact, two of the elders who went over the questions with me were my uncles. And hey, I couldn't let the family down now could I?

Dana

"A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born."
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Hey GodRules, I have a question about your statement here.

voltaire: I know you can't be serious. How can you compare baptism of infants to baptism of a 12-year old? You must have been an idiot at 12. I know 12 year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds.

Does this mean you are 40?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit