Why did you get baptized?

by NoLongerAjw 34 Replies latest jw friends

• madelmars
    madelmars

I guess that i got baptized because my friends were already baptized. I waited longer than most of my friends, i was 16, they mostly got baptized at ages 12 or 13. I guess i did it to make everyone else happy, but all it did for me was give me more pressure and stress to auxillary pioneer.

• Sherri
    Sherri

Like larc, I got baptised in 1974 at the age of 14 because I really thought it would please Jehovah. From my first exposure to the jw's at the age of 10 or so, I swallowed all the "theology" whole, never questioning, just soaking it up like a big sponge. I took the concept of dedication very seriously, actually postponing my baptism once because I was afraid I wasn't quite ready for the level of commitment I knew was involved. At any rate, it was a happy day for me and I was very proud.

I've been out since the age of 27 and now, at 41, am just beginning to shake off the effects of being part of that organisation for my entire adolescence and young adulthood. I'm now a Christian and have attended services in a variety of churches, but have held back being baptised anywhere else. Rightly or wrongly, it would feel like relinquishing some kind of control over my life. Maybe in time, who knows?

• kes152
    kes152

Larc,

I must be the one of the exceptions here, because I did it because I really did want to dedicate my life to Jehovah.

I'm with you on that.

When they went over the 'questions' with me... i REFUSED to bring my book and i only had my bible. I was 'counseled' on it the "three" times i met with them (by "not" being prepared). I merely told them... "all I need is the Bible." Of course.. when it got to the point about the 'faithful and discreet slave' and about being known as a 'Jehovah's witness'... I kept hearing this voice say 'That's not right, that's not right.' so when I 'tried' to show scriptures on it.. I was stumbling through the scriptures.... Go figure!

Man! I wish I knew what I know now. then again.. I think its better for me to know now, than before. For no doubt I would have been more of a coward. Anyways...

Peace!
    Aaron

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

Cuz everyone else was doing it

FEELIN BEROEAN "Just making sure!"

• joelbear
    joelbear

Peer pressure
    Parental pressure

Plus, I actually thought it might turn me into a heterosexual.

didn't work though.

hugs

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit