Memorial Season

by moomanchu 18 Replies latest jw friends

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I was wondering if someone ever made up a tract or card similar to what the witnesses hand out

for the memorial , but with the opposite agenda , maybe with some thought provoking questions or scriptures .

Like : Why do you celebrate the memorial christ is already present since 1914 . 1 Cor. 11:26

That way we would have something to hand back to them .

• Dustin
    Dustin

I haven't, but I should. I'm dreading the elders coming around again. It's one of those things where I could just not answer, but I will anyway. So maybe I should make my own apostate tract for them. That's a damn cool idea.

Dustin

• gespro
    gespro

Dang Moom!!!!

Why do you celebrate the memorial christ is already present since 1914 . 1 Cor. 11:26

Splendid! What a great idea to have literature waiting for these [heretics] ur, uh folks! I don't really want to regard the R&F like that because they are just lost/controled!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Moomanchu,

Unfortunately the WT makes a difference between Christ's parousia and his "coming" or "arrival". E.g. Watchtower 1998 9/15:

Jesus showed that during his "presence" (Greek, pa·rou·si´a) he would come with power and glory. Concerning such "coming" (denoted by forms of the Greek word er´kho·mai), he declared: "Then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. . . . Now learn from the fig tree as an illustration this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he [Christ] is near at the doors. . . . Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. . . . Prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming."?Matthew 24:30, 32, 33, 42, 44.

Why

Does Jesus Christ Come?

Although present as King since 1914, Jesus Christ must yet judge systems and individuals before executing judgment on those he finds to be wicked. (Compare 2 Corinthians 5:10.) Jehovah will soon put it into the minds of political rulers to destroy "Babylon the Great," the world empire of false religion. (Revelation 17:4, 5, 16, 17) The apostle Paul specifically stated that Jesus Christ will destroy "the man of lawlessness"?the apostate clergy of Christendom, a prominent part of "Babylon the Great." Paul wrote: "The lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will do away with by the spirit of his mouth and bring to nothing by the manifestation of his presence."?2 Thessalonians 2:3, 8.

In the near future, Christ will judge people of the nations on the basis of how they have acted toward his brothers yet on earth. We read: "When the Son of man arrives in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. And all the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left. . . . The king will say to [the sheep], ?Truly I say to you, To the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.? . . . And [the goats] will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life."?Matthew 25:31-46.

As shown in the parable of the sheep and the goats, Jesus executes final judgment upon all the ungodly. Paul assured suffering fellow believers of "relief along with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus. These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength, at the time he comes to be glorified in connection with his holy ones." (2 Thessalonians 1:7-10) With all these exciting events ahead of us, should we not exercise faith and eagerly keep on the watch for Christ?s coming?
    What is actually amazing is that according to the WT (1) this distinction is supposed to be based on Greek vocabulary (and even morphology, since the WT ascribes different meanings to different forms of the same Greek verb); (2) as far as the Gospels are concerned it is supposed to reflect Jesus' teaching; but (3) Jesus didn't speak Greek with his disciples. I wonder if this very simple problem was ever addressed...
  • moomanchu
    moomanchu

Brainstorm an idea for one ,

then post a downloadable one on one of the web sites

then we can print them out at home . Just like Bethel !!!!!!!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't really have any problem with the religious things the Jehovah group does. I have a problem with the secular things they do, like their use of dishonest recruiting practices, and advising people like my 18 year old son to shun me.

I think it's fine to lobby against religious practices for those who are affected by those. For me the religious issues are like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. They can't prove it's 10,000 and I can't prove it's 12,000.

I can prove people have needlessly suffered and died due to the Witness people meddling with medical treatment. I can prove the Watch Tower Society directed us to hide who we represented when going door to door. I can prove the Witness people advocate the practice of the shunning of minor children as well as adult family members.

I can prove the nickles and dimes the Witness people collect and send in to the group leaders do add up and are used to build plush communes for the group leaders to enjoy while many, maybe the majority, of their supporters live in substandard housing below the poverty level.

I can prove the Witness people do not protect their children from pedophiles and I can prove the Witness people will side with the pedophiles in court and in private, and the Witnesses will shun the victims.

I have been treating the Witness people the way they have behaved . . . . like my enemy. My messages have been to the community they have to face at the doors.

I know former Witnesses have been helped by confronting Witness people. I am in favor of whatever works and whatever helps. You have my support and blessings.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I'm thinking of using it for relatives .

nothing ugly just getting them to think .

• heathen
    heathen

Better yet , why not just ask a simple question of " why do you keep rejecting the symbols of christs suffering ? I think it a form of idolotry when they gather together and bless the food but do not eat and drink because the food is somehow holier than they are . I think the answer for the 1914 question would be something like , it wasn't until 1914 that God started calling Israel out of the world to adopt them as spirit sons and join the reigning king in rulership .

• 3rdEye
    3rdEye

It seems to me that the memorial practices have pagan origins, like most things associated with Christianity. The symbolic drinking of blood, and eating of flesh doesn't sound like something God would approve of.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

3rd eye...I don't see a problem with the eating of the bread and wine, that is what Jesus said to do to remember him. It is not just the JWs...I believe the Catholics do this during mass, some every day (I am not catholic..so if I am off here, please correct me).

I think it funny that some believe that the wine actually becomes Jesus' blood and the bread his flesh...that is creepy..

I just have to add that out of all the meetings that we had during the year, I think this one really was the most important, and I really cherished it. I wasn't a fan of the lack of parking and over flow of people, as the once a year JWs attended...that was just too crowded! This was the meeting where we focused on Jesus...and to me it was the meeting that proved that JWs really did appreciate Jesus, and didn't reject him like so many non JWs claimed.

Now, I am not a JW anymore of course, but I still get a kick out of how non JWs clamor how they reject Jesus...blah, blah. They don't reject him totally, they just put him in second place.

ANYHOOO....I think giving them something in return is a great idea. Just don't make it too wordy...it has to be short enouggh that they read it before they remember it is "apostate" hahah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit