Do you tell your friends your were a JW?

by eljefe 34 Replies latest jw friends

• eljefe
    eljefe

Last night I was out with my friends and I ran into another ex-JW. Based on the conversation with this ex-JW, my friends could tell that I was hiding something.

I think I will have to tell my friends that I was a JW.

Anyway, what have you told your friends about being an ex-JW? Do you tell them from the beginning?

• upside/down
    upside/down

Most people understand we all "came from" somewhere, beliefs wise.

I just say I have a JW background- it usually suffices. Most "worldy" people are polite enough to understand that just let's them know where you're coming from!

Here's to manners

u/d

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

I think you will receive a little less criticism than if you were still in the org. I really don't think it would hurt to tell them. You might get a lot of questions thown at you. It happens to me sometimes when someone I meet asks me about that (I don't know how the conversations actually get to that point).

laters

kaykay_mp

• missy04
    missy04

Well I was never actually a JW...I was never baptized. But some of my friends know I used to go to the meetings at the KH.

~Sarah

• minimus
    minimus

Yup...It's theraputic, actually!

• Jesika
    Jesika

I tell them.......and I usually get one of two responses.......

1) WHO?

or

2) Oh MY GOD....I am so sorry.....those people always gave me the creeps.

Alot of the time they confused JW with Mormons.......but it is close enough I think.

Then the ?'s start and it seems to be a good conversation. I run into alot that have a relative somewhere that is a JW or used to be.

I have never had a bad reaction.

Jes

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If it comes up in conversation (and it's often other friends who bring it up) I'm happy to mention it. It often gives an opportunity to counter-witness. I don't labour the point, though, as that would just be bad manners.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Most of my friends are cast-offs of JW land like myself. Most of my friends who were never JW's laugh at me for ever being one in the first place. People who I meet now can't believe I ever was one. They're always like "You were a Jehovah" in that shocked tone. Then I say "Yep it was a freaky cult". Then they say, "That must have really sucked". That's where I usually get talking to them for a while and rip on the Oranization. That always makes me feel better.

Dustin

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Alot of the time they confused JW with Mormons.......but it is close enough I think.

If I ever had a choice of religion between JW and Mormon, I'd pick Mormon. At least they get to celebrate Christmas (I think). But it would suck too, because they will only let you have sex if you wanna procreate, and that's when you're married!

laters

kaykay_mp

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Anyway, what have you told your friends about being an ex-JW? Do you tell them from the beginning?

if it ever comes up in conversation, otherwise no. not out of shame but just 'cause it doesn't seem important. they'll usually say oh they are weird and ask questions like why don't they celebrate birthdays, etc. but for the most part no one's keenly interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit