Do you tell your friends your were a JW?

by eljefe 34 Replies latest jw friends

• heretic
    heretic

I told the people at my new job because it was my birthday and they were throwing me a little party and they asked 'so do you call your parents or what are you gonna do' I replied 'no my parents are both JWs in fact this is my first birthday party ever' after a pause someone said 'well we better make it a good one, susan start cutting' we all laughed, there was about 3 people that gave me sideways looks of about 15. But i didnt care peoples opinions are their own, the beauty of being out is that you can CHOOSE your friends, so if theyve got a problem with me, theyre losing out, cya!

After that I didnt mention it anymore except to my girlfriend and people that needed to know. its a subject i dont want to discuss because ive moved on from it. i did too much opening up to strangers in the truth and it gives people power over you. and i think it makes you look

1 stupid for being able to be brainwashed 2 you left so disloyal, not able to follow thru.

its a tricky decision to tell someone, how you say it too 'yeah i wanted to find god and got stuck in a cult' 'what happenend?' 'well luckily they realised what im really like and kicked me out' laugh it off.

cheers

life

• Number 6
    Number 6

When the occassion arises yes.

It then gives me the opportunity to anti-witness to them thus ensuring that they will forever be a no go area for the Watchtower.

In all my years as a dub I never once studied with anyone to baptism, but as a direct result of my educating people about the dangers of the Watchtower cult I can personally vouch that at least 40 people will never become Jehovah's Witnesses.

:-)

Craig

• under74
    under74

It's hard sometimes...I haven't told all my friends but it's been easier to talk about it lately. I don't think any of my friends (some of which are very close and dear to me) could ever really understand it all but those that I've told try.

• eljefe
    eljefe

Follow Up:

Well I finally talked to my friend about being a JW. He seemed OK with it and seemed to understand. He even said that his aunt was going to become a JW, but never did. He understood how messed up religion is and that I made the "right choice".

However, both of us had some beer and I am curious to see how it will be once we are both sober.

• under74
    under74

eljefe-

Look if he's really a friend it's not going to matter to him. Don't be so worried-- a lot of people have things in their background that they struggle with...if your friend really has a problem with the fact that you used to be a JW then he's crazy. It may not be something you're proud of or something that you want to talk about much but it could be a lot worse. For pete's sake it's not like you murdered someone. If your friend can't except that then you're friend isn't being a friend. Stay strong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit