my take...

by teejay 74 Replies latest jw friends

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I have to agree with many of the others....

Confidence, public speaking skills, values, sales ability...all great things I took with me from the Dubs. In my case I got something else as well. I have a physical disability and the Dubs actually gave me a supportive, accepting environment to grow up in. Unlike society in general there was no ridicule or preset notions of limitations. I was accepted and encouraged to excel even if now looking back I see it was probably just to get me to sell more magazines. Whatever their motivation was I left the org with a sense that I could do anything I set my mind to and because of that I now have a wonderful wife, two kids, own my own business, sucessfully ran for public office twice, met four US Presidents and am pretty happy in general.

I don't like that I was misled and hate that I am shunned by my parents simply because I was honest and admitted that I no longer believed. I also don't discount the horror that many others lived through because of abuse or other issues. There is no justifiction for actions such as that. I am merely acknowledging my experience and what it has brought to my life now, outside the org.

RGW

• Brummie
    Brummie

I hear ya stopthepain, for anyone to underestimate you're experience just because they can see positives in the JW life is pretty insensitive to say the least. Maybe in the future you too will look back and be able to grasp something positive but right now is obviousely not you're time for doing it. It took me a few years to dig out the positives, even if we all had the same up bringing we may have expereienced it differently.

The Watchtowers mental abuse doesnt allow me to pat them on the back for anything. We were just investments for them, even when they were offering us paradise is was for selfish reasons. Nonetheless, we have to dig out the positives if we are to ever get over it

Brummie

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

good thread..

i have nothing bad to say about my upbringing as a jw. my parents are great people and were loving balanced people in an unbalanced world. if i'd married a jw as wonderful as my parents were i'd probably still be a member . but i didnt. i married a butthole. his controlling abuse was what opened my eyes to the flaws of the wtbs. no apostate did it. the way i was treated as a woman of the congregation helped.

my parents were appalled at the way i was treated as well. they are elderly and only attend on " good health" days. i think they see that the religion isnt the same as it was when they were young , but neither is the world the same.

i have great childhood memories.i never minded service (cept missing cartoons on sat morning),i didnt mind being moderate in dress, i never minded not celebrating holidays and all that was to the credit of my parents not the wtbs.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    all that was to the credit of my parents not the wtbs.

Yes! Credit where its due.

Edited to add: Teejay, great thread, great opening post!

Brummie

• alias
    alias

Logan,

I heartily agree with your thoughts. I too believe that framing the past into positive light will make going forward all the much better. The past is history.

Thanks for sharing,

alias

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Sorry im not happy enough to "frame" as you put it,my past.Isnt that what a catcher does in baseball to make a bad pitch look good.

I really enjoyed TJ's post,and I understand the point of positive thinking---but to trick yourself into thinking something that was personally bad into something good seems a little strange.

If someone slightly enjoyed being a jehovahs witness,thats fine.Was it the worst thing on earth,no.But why do I have to accept it as a positive.Things could always be worse,thats a fact,but why can't you be upset because things weren't better.I'm pissed because all of this religous crap was useless.

People act like you couldn't have had things without the organization-----name one thing you couldnt have gotten without it.

frienship-no

structure-no

faith-no

speaking skills -no

• one
    one

HS

have seen many XJW's who are complete dysfunctional wrecks due to their experience within the walls of the WTS.

LOG

I would say much more depends upon the individual

themselves.

I agreee with the later, many may have become "dysfunctional wrecks" anyway, jw or no jw.

During the last decade or so i have seen too many jw and nonjw people go "bipolar".... euphemism for crazy, schizophrenic or someone who could not confront reality, for whatever the reason. In the case of jw they can not face their jw reality: no paradaise, no money, hardly making ends meet etc etc

ht tp://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/82420/1.ashx

There are many thing i dont regret about jw

learning from jw about cristmas is one of them

The jw were very open about cristmas, going against the "system" require some strenght and that in itself attracted many to the jw org.

It teached me not to accept anything at face value and to question just about anything.

I concluded at early age that anybody and everybody could be wrong. I have benefit all along from such early conclusion, thanks to the jw..

But for some reason I did not question most jw teachings... I did questions some teaching and rules long ago..

I think it was due to lack of references. The "messengers" that passed around some weak messages against jw lacked credibility, in the first place they beleived in cristmas, a celebration that have been proven to be "pagan". Anything I ever read or heard did not refute jw doctrines.

There many other things i consider positive about jw, dont you?.

On the other hand, as Ray Franz says in his books we are not free of blame for accepting unfounded jw teachings, the most we can say is repeat that we have been "victims of victims", but the victim is not always without responsability... but if feels better when the victim can totally blame someone else.

• logansrun
    logansrun

stopthepain,

I guess your avatar says it all.

I really enjoyed TJ's post,and I understand the point of positive thinking---but to trick yourself into thinking something that was personally bad into something good seems a little strange.

There's no "trick" and this isn't some Tony Robbins positve thinking pop-psychological ploy. "Reframing" is a term used by real cognitive psychotherapists with their patients. There's no need to "trick" yourself into thinking that a bad event is really all good --- but the point is to take whatever positive experience can be gleaned from it and certainly not to exagerate the negative (which you have done in spades).

If someone slightly enjoyed being a jehovahs witness,thats fine.Was it the worst thing on earth,no.But why do I have to accept it as a positive.

Again, this is dichotomous, cultish thinking as well as an overgeneralization. Your Witness experience can't be summed up as "good" or "bad" in it's totality. Nothing can. You can, though, see that some aspects were good, some were bad and some were neutral. To say "it was all good" or "it was all bad" is going to get you in trouble. But, I understand. It seems to be the natural human reaction to bounce in the exact opposite direction when changing a viewpoint. Like children raised by conservative parents who become liberal hippies. There is a nice middle position, however. And I do hope you find it.

Things could always be worse,thats a fact,but why can't you be upset because things weren't better.I'm pissed because all of this religous crap was useless.

There you go again -- "useless." Sorry, it wasn't all useless, even if it was -- ultimately -- wrong. I'm not going to get into what was useful about the "religious crap" -- I'm an atheist, by the way. I'll leave that project for you.

And, yes, you can be upset. But you seem -- and many, many ex-JWs seem -- to go beyond just "upset" and engage in the overgeralized, totally blown out of proportion type of emotionalism that you are currently engaging in. That's okay, dude. I was there and have posted my own pampers cry baby crap myself. Fortunately, things have gotten better for me.

People act like you couldn't have had things without the organization-----name one thing you couldnt have gotten without it.

frienship-no

structure-no

faith-no

speaking skills -no

That's extrememly irrational. Rarely is there any organization that truly offers something totally unique that you can't find anywhere else. Think about a university education. Do you need to have one to get a good job? No, look at Bill Gates the college dropout. Do you need a university diploma to be intelligent? No, you could be a self-made man through personal effort. Do you need to go to college to make friends? No, just hang out at bars.

Using your logic, because you don't need a university education to get any of the things I listed you really shouldn't go to college and it's not that important, nothing special. Big deal, right? Of course not. Just because the "good" that you or I experienced in the organization was not something unique to the WTS does not negate the good. Every good quality you indubitably have within your personality is not something only you possess, but that doesn't mean it doesn't count.

I strongly suggest you do some reading in the area of cognitive psychology. Go to your library and look for any book by Albert Ellis.

Only you can "stop the pain" for yourself.

Bradley

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies
    The part about not being afraid to stand up and be different is good.

I haven't read the rest of the posts, so please forgive me if this has been covered. I tried to stand up and be different. Different from the JW's!!! That sure as hell does not fly with them, and so it taught me that it's bad to be different from your "crowd". The good that I can come away with was not from the JW's, I've questioned and been beaten down by them since I was a child. The good that I came away with was from seeing in action the human spirit, people who cared for us. None of them were JW's. My third grade teacher actually took me in when we were living cold and homeless, with my family on the run from CPS. Many people helped us and took us in over the years, and none of them were JW's. I also learned the bad. The people that hurt me, none of them were JW's. So, for me, the religion had no effect. I lived in many neighborhoods that were of mixed ethnicity, and all my friends were of different races and cultures. I didn't need the JW's to teach me tolerance. To me, it also doesn't depend on the quality of ones parents. Mine were far from exemplary. But I turned out alright. Look at people who never grew up as JW's. I know many who were raised by crackheads, who turned out fine. I know many who were raised by wonderful people who shake their heads and say "where did my child go wrong". It's me who has all the power in the world, period.

On a side note:

Bradley, STFU.

You are a totally jaded individual. I'm sure stopthepain knows that he is the only one who can fix his/her life. Why do you harp on someone who needs to vent and greive? I'll be goddamned if I will be little Mary Sunshine, "framing the negative in a positive light". "Oh, I think being molested was a good thing now!" Bullshit. If someone is hurting they need to go through the grieving process. If you have, good for you. If you haven't, isn't that what this F*&KING board is for? Why don't you back off and save your self righteous psychoanalysis for someone else?!?!??!??!

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

listen bradley,my avatar was meant to be funny-----maybe your the one reading a little to deeply into things,and thank you for the phsyco-analysis,its truly appreciated.

I understand the point you make,and I'm sorry I disagree with you.

You obviously get off on figuring people out,so good,you have me all worked out.I overcompensate for years of being mind [edit],sorry.

I'll try to glean what I can from this.

Framing is also a term used in baseball when the catcher tries to make a ball look like a strike.

Please tell me how Ive exagerrated the negative-everything I write is true about my experience.you cant exagerate the truth.

I will admit you are slick when you type behind your computer,i'd like to see how slick you are if you were in the same room as me right now.

by the way,how long did it take you to think up all those big words to berate a stupid and obviously unstable person as myself?just curious.

bye bye

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit