Obesity vs. Smoking - which is worse?

by Why Georgia 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I had no end of hassles from people at the KH about my weight problem. Personally, I find it extremely offensive when people center out obese people and just assume they are gluttons. I am overweight due to a medical condition and I'm sick of having worthless pieces of shit assume I am somehow obligated to explain my personal medical history to them. Guess what? I'M NOT!!!

Maybe some people should realize that a big mouth is FAR MORE OFFENSIVE than a big stomach.

If my life was so worthless that I had nothing better to do with my time than look at other people's stomachs for the purpose of criticizing them I would probably kill myself.

Walter

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I think they really couldn't disfellowship every gluttonous Jehovah's Witness, where would they draw the line, and just how many people would they lose? I'm pretty surprised they haven't put more pressure on overweight JWs to "do more" about it, but that might take away from time spent in field service! Working out can be so time consuming for those time wasting fools at watchtower hq.

Besides, being in the cult causes most of the unhappiness that causes people in the cult to overeat.

The thing that would offend me the most would be obese people that smoke.

Really? I really get offended by people involved in more serious crimes than that. You know, murderers, theives, child abusers, rapists, and so on. But whatever makes you feel superior to other people. I'm sure the fat smokers out there are glad they can help you with that.

• Englishman
    Englishman

WT,1986, May 1:

Questions

From Readers

·

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses as firm about gluttony among their members as they are about the harmful tobacco habit?

Jehovah’s Witnesses take a Bible-based stand against tobacco, and they equally accept the Scriptural condemnation of gluttony.

They believe that smoking violates Bible principles. Smoking involves a nicotine addiction. Further, it is unnatural to inhale smoke. Smoking defiles the body, causes health problems, and has shortened lives that should have been used to God’s praise. Smoking also dangerously pollutes air that others breathe; certainly, that is not neighbor love.—2 Corinthians 7:1; Romans 12:1; Mark 12:33.

What, though, about gluttonous overeating? Frankly, the Bible condemns gluttony, which is greedy excess in eating, or voracious overeating. An Israelite son who was unrepentantly "a glutton and a drunkard" was to be executed. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) Proverbs warns against "having companionship with gluttons." (Proverbs 28:7; 23:20, 21) Gluttony is also wrong since we are told that "greedy persons" will not inherit God’s Kingdom. (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10; compare 1 Peter 4:3; Philippians 3:18, 19.) Christian overseers are to be "self-controlled," not "unemployed gluttons." (Titus 1:8, 12) This is so serious that some overseers have been removed because of their uncontrolled eating.

It must be recognized, however, that determining when gluttony exists is not easy. Eating (in contrast with inhaling tobacco smoke) is natural and proper. Nor is being fat the sole criterion of gluttony; a very thin person might be a glutton. It is not being overweight that the Bible censures but, rather, overeating, which may or may not result in obesity.

Some people are overweight because of glandular disorders or disease, though Professor Judith Rodin holds that only "5 percent of all cases of obesity are caused primarily by medical problems." Heredity may incline a person to stockiness. Dr. William Bennett comments: "Lots of fat people maintain their weight by eating about what an average-weight person does . . . They are metabolically different." Certain scientists even feel that if a fat person eats less, his body lowers its metabolic rate so that he burns calories more slowly. But even if a fat person is not a glutton in the sense of being a voracious eater, he (or she) may need to apply more seriously God’s counsel.

For example, Christians should cultivate self-control, which applies to eating too. (Galatians 5:22, 23; 2 Peter 1:5-8) The apostle Paul urged the Christian to be like a runner who "exercises self-control in all things." Paul ‘pummeled his body and led it as a slave that he should not become disapproved.’ (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) A stout person may have reason to ‘pummel his body’ as to how much, what, when, and how he eats.

Being fat can be dangerous. Reports show that obesity can lead to higher blood pressure and cholesterol levels, adult-onset diabetes, several types of cancer, heart and gallbladder disease, arthritis, and respiratory problems. "A person who is 20 percent overweight faces a death rate one-third higher than average; for those 30 and 50 percent overweight, the rates are 50 and 100 percent higher, respectively." (The New York Times, February 27, 1985) Similar reports of health problems come from England, Germany, and Italy.

A Christian truly wants to ‘love Jehovah with his whole heart, soul [or, life], mind, and strength.’ (Mark 12:30) Many, upon studying Christianity, quit smoking to preserve their health and life. Should not Christians be just as concerned that being overweight because of overindulgence might undermine their health and their life that is dedicated to Jehovah?

Some people eat more when they are sad, frustrated, lonely, or angry. While being a Christian does not wholly prevent such feelings, rather than finding relief in unnecessary eating, the Christian can turn to God and to his brothers. In this regard read Philippians 4:6, 7, 11-13. Even scientists who hold that a person has a natural inclination toward a certain weight admit that this can be changed. They stress cutting down on high-fat food and increasing physical activity. Interestingly, in many areas a Christian who shares regularly in the door-to-door ministry does much healthful walking and climbing. Paul, too, ‘labored and toiled’ in the ministry.—2 Corinthians 11:26, 27.

Thus, Jehovah’s Witnesses disapprove of gluttony because of what the Bible says. Whatever their weight, they strive to ‘exercise self-control in all things,’ including eating. This is not primarily because of a cultural judgment about fashion but because they want to live by Bible principles and be active Christians having God’s approval.

[Footnotes]

How much: consistently eating less at each meal. What: cutting down on starchy junk foods and sodas, and on sweets and fats, such as butter and oils, in favor of a healthful, balanced diet. When: not snacking between meals or secretly. How: eating more slowly.

Englishman.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

If obesity is/or can be considered a medical condition,hasnt science proved that alchoholism and drug addicction can also be genetic or a disease.They shouldnt have the right to df or judge someone in either case.what ever happened to "you reap what you sow".If someone destroys thier mind and body,they will be held accountable.The only job of people around you is to show compassion and love,not threaten to excommunicate people in the name of doing whats right.The whole dfing process is stupid.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Well one thing is for sure.

No one becomes worthful by being slim

and

No one becomes worthless by not being slim.

That is nice about the internet is that people are accepted for what their soul is not what people see and judge.

(Screw'um Walter. You just hang out with us!)

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

As someone who has been extremely obese - morbidly obese - as the doctors call it.

And now as someone who is thin.

I definately notice a difference in my personality and physical wellness.

I am happier now that I am thin.

I feel less like people are judging me and definately less defensive.

I'm not the obnoxious fat lady - now I am the spunky thin lady.

There is a difference - if you are fat you're obnoxious - thin you're spunky or vivacious.

I also used to smoke although have quit for many years....but I still crave a menthol cigarette from time to time.

I find walking through cigarette smoke to get into a store or restaurant repulsive and I think I was definately a considerate smoker.

I never smoked around people unless they were smoking too.

Both are extremely dangerous to the body unless you have super healthy genes and nothing will phase them!

Today though, I will take a frozen 3 muskateers bar over a cigarette.

No more smoking for me - I have kids. No no no.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Compared to smoking, drinking ethanol is much more dangerous, yet it's fine with the Jehovah group. I never heard of anyone dying the first time they smoked from nicotine poisoning or driving their car into a tree under the influence of nicotine. I'd much rather meet you driving your car under the influence of nicotine than under even mild influence of ethanol. For me, it's another reason not to like the Witness people. They are guilty by reason of stupidity.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

To tell ya the truth, out of all the people I would consider "gluttons" most are of an average weight or maybe slightly overweight. I know many, many very overweight people. Yes, some it is medical. Sometimes genetic. Sometimes poor eating habits. Sometimes a combination. Unfortunately, as a culture, we tend to critisize the things we don't understand. I have a child with ds, and sometimes people really stare at her. Sometimes people say some of the most stupidest things and don't bat an eye. How many times does a person use the word retarded to describe something that they think is dumb? Ignorant or stupid is NOT the same as retarded. Just as gluttony is NOT the same as obesity. The reason why I personally think dfing someone for smoking is wrong is because it is just plain wrong to put yourself Above people as their judge when absolutely no one has the right to judge another's relationship between them and God. And as Gary touched on.... I know of so many jw's that wouldn't go to a dinner if there weren't booze. Their alcohol resistance is very high and these people are elders and elderettes and pioneers. Double standards every where. Jw's and nonjw's do it. What about some people's serious addiction to coffee? Caffeine is soooooo bad for your body. I know some people who drink 1 or2 pots of coffee a day! That causes serious health problems. It stays in your body, and bloats a person. So, why is That ok?

Well, I am definitely going to be more sensitive to those with weight problems. Not that I've ever been a bitch about it. But hey, I am not going to say I've never made the occasional stupid comment. I hate stupid comments about "retards" so, I am going to definitely put more effort into watching what Isay about people with weight problems.

Now I'll go have my morning cig and coffee. =) Maybe a piece of cake too

Blackswan

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I'm sure the fat smokers out there are glad they can help you with that.

Glad I can be of help!!! =)

Candid...the third boob remark...oh my god that is a riot. I told my husband that, he laughed, but he doesn't see it that way for me hahaha....what the hell, he still is a good guy.

• heretic
    heretic

My little brother was really hungry one day and we were cheering him on and he ate 24 weetbix, he was about 10 and mustve had a rubber stomach. My mum heard us and went off her brain, she told him jehovah was very angry at him and he wouldnt get into the new system. I thought he was a legend.

now hes 6'1 and greek god.

my uncles record was 16 we had to ride our bikes to his house and get more sugar, he never mentioned his RECORD again at the relo bashs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit