Obesity vs. Smoking - which is worse?

by Why Georgia 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

When I was going to the Kingdumb Hall people were being actively disfellowshipped for smoking because it was bad for you and an insult to Jehovah.

How come nobody disfellowshipped the 400 pound sister who brought her own chair or stood in the back because she couldn't fit in her chair?

Why didn't anyone disfellowship the bookstudy leader for looking pregnant when he obviously wasn't.

Why is cigarette addiction bad but not food addiction.

Just wondering?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Smoking cures obesity. Eventually. ;-)

Seriously, your point has much merit for JW's. Their doctrine is stupid.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Hell, it's no comparison. Obesity is way worse. Talk about defiling the temple that is your body. My dad used to pick this lady up for the meeting every time. 350 pounds, stinky, and obnoxious. I can understand if it's a medical condition. That is simply unavoidable sometimes. But when they get out of control and don't try and help themselves I find that worse. It's sad. Neither is great. But I know alot of good looking, in shape people who smoke. Ironicaly the chick who my dad gave a ride to the meeting decided to try and clean up and slipped in the shower and broke her neck. Talk about bad karma.

Dustin

• Forscher
    Forscher

Actually one can be Df'd for Gluttony. It is among the sins which are condemned strongly enough to merit Df'ing. The problem, according to some of the Watchtower material itself, is that obesity is not in and of itself proof of gluttony. Some people are obese due to genuine medical problems and will be obese whether they eat normally or even diet. So what has to happen is that the elders have to have witnesses to the actual gluttony. Or, an elder who wishes to Df an obese person has to get two other elders who will agree that the person is a glutton.

I know, An elder once tried that number on me. I suffer from one of those rare metabolic and have copies of the testing that proves it! So he didn't get very far with that one!

• Forscher
    Forscher

OOps!!! I meant to say metabolic diseases where I only said metabolic.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Actually one can be Df'd for Gluttony. It is among the sins which are condemned strongly enough to merit Df'ing. The problem, according to some of the Watchtower material itself, is that obesity is not in and of itself proof of gluttony. Some people are obese due to genuine medical problems and will be obese whether they eat normally or even diet. So what has to happen is that the elders have to have witnesses to the actual gluttony. Or, an elder who wishes to Df an obese person has to get two other elders who will agree that the person is a glutton.

can you imagine the logistics of trying to prove actual gluttony or just a medical condtion? what would they do, tail them to the nearest Taco Bell, then go inside and watch what they order while doing calorie, grams of fat counts, etc.? i'm surprised the witnesses haven't resorted to this, as wacky as they are.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    can you imagine the logistics of trying to prove actual gluttony or just a medical condtion? what would they do, tail them to the nearest Taco Bell, then go inside and watch what they order while doing calorie, grams of fat counts, etc.? i'm surprised the witnesses haven't resorted to this, as wacky as they are.

muhahahahahaha

Girl you make me laugh every time!

• Incense_and_Peppermints
  • Stefanie
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

The thing that would offend me the most would be obese people that smoke.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit