THE GENERATION OF 1914

by Mary 54 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    understanding change and not a major change in teaching.

Now that is some double speak!

• Mary
    Mary
    they said it was merely an understanding change and not a major change in teaching.

Oh vomit, vomit, vomit...........'not a major change in teaching?' If dropping a central doctrine like this is not considered "major", then I wonder what these goombas WOULD consider a major change in teaching. They made a pathetic attempt at making it seem like a minor adjustment, but fortunately, people weren't that stupid and they knew exactly what was going on. That's why so many have left over the last 9 years----they're tired of broken promises and bullshit prophecies that never happen.............ya, my grandparents were never going to die in this wicked old system of things either....and they've both been gone now for many years.......

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I believe that many families and younger generations are involved with the organization out of convienience.The organization gives them the sense of being different,with all the perks of a social club.Thats why these huge screw ups don't effect therm.they like what they have.What would they do without it.Many young ones{30 and younger}who were raised jdubs cant explain jack about these prophesies,its just a routine they have gotten used to.As long as they go out to TGIFridays after the meeting,thats all they care about.If the dont swear and sin in the meantime ,thats a bonus,thier going to "live forever".People need a crutch,and jehovah witnesses have all the gimmicks for an effective one.

My mother just says "I know its the truth' AND "Its a imperfect organization,but who else is diong the worldwide work".She wants to believe it,she NEEDS to believe it.She couldnt live without it,thats why 1914 and the UN thing dont phase her.

"Theres a sucker born every minute "---------truer words have never been spoken

• steve2
    steve2

Well said stopthepain: "I believe that many families and younger generations are involved with the organization out of convienience.The organization gives them the sense of being different,with all the perks of a social club.Thats why these huge screw ups don't effect therm.they like what they have.What would they do without it."

Given the fact that the Watchtower Society has chopped and changed so much of its "eschatology" (i.e., end times beliefs), it raises the question, "What would have to happen for the "average" JW to really begin to actively question the organisation?"

• Mary
    Mary
    The organization gives them the sense of being different,with all the perks of a social club.Thats why these huge screw ups don't effect therm.they like what they have.What would they do without it

Truer words have never been spoken. This describes my sister to a T. Her husband is an elder and she absolutely loves having a prominant social standing in the congregation, not to mention all the inside knowledge on everyone else. She loves people sucking up to her and she and her husband are always invited EVERYWHERE even though she knows that alot of people are just fairweather friends. We've had a few conversations over the years and she admitted that she thinks the whole Jesus-returned-in-1914 is bullshit, but there is no way she'd ever stop going to the meetings as that's her social world and that means everything to her.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I agree on the social status. I always remembered the PO's wife being sort of the "first lady" of the KH. Always got what she wanted. The other elders wives also had some sort of status, it was of course so bogus, but nonetheless, perfectly evident.

Why don't they join a charity that actually does something good for the world?

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I have a question:

If you pioneered today and continued to place the "Live Forever" book and have bible studies (which is what I did 10 years ago) and continued to preach the 1914 doctrine WOULD YOU BE DF'D??? Since that has changed and is totaly hocus-pocus?

I really wonder if you continued with their own teachings if they would DF you!!!! I am actually thinking they might.

How about someone starts going door-to-door with a green Bible and the "truth" book and see what happens!

• garybuss
    garybuss

They studied with me from the Let God Be True book before I was baptized. How much of that is seen as true today by the Jehovah group? Did they change? Or did I? Who was the first apostate? (That'll be the title of my book:)

• Mary
    Mary
    If you pioneered today and continued to place the "Live Forever" book and have bible studies (which is what I did 10 years ago) and continued to preach the 1914 doctrine WOULD YOU BE DF'D??? Since that has changed and is totaly hocus-pocus? I really wonder if you continued with their own teachings if they would DF you!!!!

Well here's something along those lines that really happened. After Charles Russell died and Judge Booze Rutherford forced his authoritative position on everyone was elected president, we know that he started changing alot of the doctrines that Brother Russell had taught. There were many who were appalled at the changes and they broke off and became known as Russellites and they're still around today. I've seen them on TV and they're still promoting the Studies in the Scriptures book! The funny thing is, the WTS views them as "apostates" for not "keeping up the the Organization", while the Russellites view Jehovah's Witnesses as "apostates" for deviating from what Charles Russell taught.

I don't know if the Borg would actually DF you for continuing to preach that the generation of 1914 is the generation that Jesus was talking about, but you'd probably have your sorry ass hauled in the backroom for a little chat about "keeping abreast of the Organization" and "keeping up with "present truths".

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Something occured to me about the "new books" that always come out. You used to study out of the "truth" book, then the "live forever" book came out, and I guess now it's the "knowledge" book although I have never read it.

But the Bible hasn't needed to update in thousands of years. Its still the same book, so why publish new books and magazines all the time based on the Bible? Why the need to "new" spiritual food at the proper time if all you do is quote from the Bible and it hasn't changed?

Why not stop writing new mags and books and just stick to the ones already in print?

Maybe the answer lies in the CHANGES always being made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit