OK whos read some books here?

by Zep 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Zep
    Zep

Crisis of Conscience,GTR, and all the rest etc

I just recieved Getile times by COJ...i ordered it 2 months ago when i was full into analysing Dub doctrine...but since then, i just dont care anymore about dub doctrine or refuting it...but its still an interesting read though.I'm going through it V E R Y S L O W L Y....
    Has anyone else read some books from here: [url]www.commentarypress.com[/url]

"In search of Christian freedom" looks interesting?...sign of the last days?...dont all Xdubs have to read COC...isn't it a sort of right of passage for you guys?.

Edited by - Zep on 17 August 2000 2:32:15

• Simon
    Simon

Yes..
    Crisis of Conscience
    In Search of Christian Freedom
    Sign of the Last Days
    The Gentile Times Reconsidered
    Apocalypse Delayed (excellent early history)
    Tons of books about cults, spiritual abuse, archeology, biblical history etc... (not all directly to do with JWs)
    If anyone wants to buy then I have links to [url= http://www.jwtruth.com/jwt/books.asp]the Books on Amazon[/url]
    Or you can buy them (and more) from [url= http://coldfusion.affiliateshop.com/Link4.cfm?AID=004858]The Watchtower Store[/url] (Randy Watters Freeminds)

• somebody
    somebody

I've read COC, and I have In Search Of Christian Freedom and Apocalypse Delayed on order. They've been on order for 2 months! ( at my local bookstore) Still waiting imapatiently.

somebody

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I've read all the books Simon listed except Penton's. I'd like to read that one too, but as you say Zep, at this point I'm rather sick of the whole thing.

I'm at the point where I know and can prove 100 things that show its not "the truth", why waste more time searching for 101?

Its very clear. I must move on.

Somebody, you will like ISOCF. Not so gripping a story as COC, but every bit as good in its own way. Basically dismantles the illusion piece by piece, and shows how all religions are basically the same.

Path

• Carmel
    Carmel

Path,

In what way does he indicate they are "all the same"?

In a negative way?

Carmel

• Seven
    Seven

Hi Zep, I've read COC and Apocalypse Delayed and don't plan on reading another thing on the subject. I find nearly all the necessary information on the websites I frequent and like Path anything more seems like overkill at this time.
    Seven

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Carmel,

Perhaps instead of saying "all", I should more accurately state "most organized Christian religions" (thanks Friend )

They are the same in that most religions are founded on similar high ideals and progress along a certain path ending up in control and corruption. What starts out as good intentions and to protect and promote Christian freedom ends up limiting and destroying it as a religion grows in size.

The book is a good place to start if you still want to hold onto Christian ideals and is helpful in explaining why you felt the way you did and why you did the things you did as a JW.

Path

• waiting
    waiting

Hey,

Read, or have in my possession, all the books mentioned. Very good, exhaustive, and like some other posters, getting tired of them - for the moment, too much too fast for a staid jw.

I personally like Stephen King & John Grishem(?) for just reading.

Surprisingly, no one's mentioned the Bible? Curious.

waiting

• Simon
    Simon

That is a brilliant synopsis Path.
    I guess the general feeling is that these books are useful in providing a certain amount of information but once you have enough to prove to yourself what is and isn't 'the truth' then there is no reason to read all the others except for acedemic interest.
    I've read 'em all. Does that make me sad or obsesive or something ?
    I just read a lot. Honest.

• Seven
    Seven

Simon,

I've read 'em all. Does that make me sad or obsesive or something?

Yes. It Does.
    I'm reading Lord of the Rings,for about the 5th time, in anticipation of the Spielberg movie.
    Seven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit