What's your nicest souvenir of your time spent as a JW?

by JH 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Can you still recall nice moments you spent as a JW?

When it poured down with rain over the weekend and so the entire family decided it best to stay at home rather than go out on field service. Toast and coffee never tasted so good!

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

we'd go up to the high country every winter and play in the snow, carloads of people... in the summer we'd go to the mountains and make a campfire and have singalongs...one of the sisters was a really good guitar player, and we'd all accompany her, singing kingdom songs and even some folk songs. some of the kids would have house parties, where they would stand in line and play "pass the grapefruit". i was never allowed to go to those. but one night i spent the night at my girlfriend's house and we went to one of the parties where those kids were and we played it. i got a little thrill out of it, but prayed hard that night to Jehovah, full of repentance and guilt. sheesh.

• Preston
    Preston

Souvenir?

Well.... I did get a sweet looking Bible for my graduation as a present, cover of genuine cowhide with my name on it

- Preston

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

The winter hockey, ringette and broomball games... those were a blast.

The teen parties and Weddings when I would finally be able to come out of my shell a bit and dance with the JW cuties.......

Brad

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I must admitt that I loved conventions and staying in lovely hotels.

And I enjoyed having good friends and my dearest friend left the org. years before I did and when I was disfellowshipped we pick up as if our lives never skipped a beat. We are the best of friends and I am so grateful to have her.

I really cared for the sick and elderly when ever I could.

I in no way miss any of this former life.

Orangefatcat.

• Unfettered
    Unfettered

Marathon pioneering days where we drove all around distributing old tracts and magazines for free and counting hours sitting at star bucks lol

• morty
    morty

The yearly barn dances that Frank Mottreal held once a year...They were the bomb!!!...The only good souvenir of time that I remember being in the congo....

• Soledad
    Soledad

I really liked being a JW during the time I lived in Venezuela. The brothers/sisters knew how to have a good time and not feel guilty about it. There were 2 congregations in our little KH and we all had the public talk and WT study early on Saturdays so we could have huge gatherings on Sundays. I remember going to the mountains and bringing food and beer, dancing until late in the evening on the roof of a sister's home, going to the parks.

During the Christmas and New Years break all meetings would be suspended---whoopeee!! The reason was because of "security concerns" due to all the people out on the streets lighting fireworks and shooting, but that wasn't the real reason---many friends (ex: the congregation PO) had extended family members all living in the same home who werent JW and not going to meetings just took some pressure off. It was nice. Everyone seemed more geniune---the WT facade was only for the meetings and field service, but among ourselves everyone was really relaxed. None of this "marking" nonsense--and the body of elders never DFd anyone, only public reproof, and even those on public reproof would be invited to the gatherings! As strange as that sounds, but an elder once told me that inviting friends who were on private reproof made them "want to be part of Jehovah's people" again and that it aided in their "spiritual recovery" a lot.

OTOH, I didn't enjoy the assemblies. They were always held very far away from where we lived, there werent any accomodations available as far as hotels/motels--not that most of the friends would be able to afford a hotel anyhow. It came down to driving, sometimes for 6-8 hours to where the assemblies were held, and once we got there, it was so hot and there were no seats--concrete blocks made up the "seats" and no there was shade at all. There usually were no adequate toilets either. I much preferred the assemblies here in the US!

• duffy
    duffy

My son.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

What's your nicest souvenir of your time spent as a JW?

the overseer's baby. (oops) --jk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit