Favorite Book as a Child?

by whyamihere 37 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I don't actually remember many books from before I learned to read for myself. I do have a dim memory of a book about a little girl who tried to keep a lion in a basement apartment, published sometime in the 1920's. It was a cute little story, but what I liked best was the stylized artwork. I must have been learning to read already at that time, because I was surprised to discover that the word "fruit" had a silent i in it.

The earliest books I can remember clearly are

• My Bumper Fairy Book, a cheap reprint of popular fairy tales with (as I remember it) illustrations not much better than the average dollar-store coloring book.
    • My Book of Make Believe, a collection of different fairy tales with an attractive format: Tall, narrow pages and colour pictures (I think). I remember discovering this in my elementary school library and checking it out as often as I could.
    • A hard-back turn-of-the-century reprint of Grimm's Fairy Tales in tiny print, with no illustrations. I was a fluent reader by that time. I think "Iron John" was my favorite story in the book.

I seem to detect a trend here...

Anyway, by 6th grade I had discovered science fiction and began reading books faster than I could fix them in memory.

edited to add: And how could I have forgotten John Martin's Big Books For Little Folk? My parents picked up a set of seven at the Alameda Flea Market one fine day when I was possibly seven or eight. I kept them until I moved out of my parents' house to marry. Didn't find out until a couple of years ago that they were a collection of annuals, and that "John Martin" was a psuedonym for - I don't know who now, but he was a friend of Mark Twain's, I think. The original copyrights range from 1919 to 1929 or so.

gently feral

• Mulan
    Mulan

Must be the Nancy Drew books. I also read some from an old, old book store about a similar detective. They were from the 20's I think, and lots of them. I loved those.

My brother and I also had the entire Bobbsey Twins set. Loved those. I had them all until the 70's when they got ruined in a flooded basement.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Misty of Chincoteague

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Little House on the Prarie series

The Secret Garden

Nancy Drew

I read quite a lot as a child and I'm happy to say that my daughter is a very voracious reader too at age 7.

Josie

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i read a 1930's era Pinnochio book till it fell apart..(it was pink and if i ever found another i'd be astounded!)

the little house on the prairie books i've read a million times.

our school library had an old series of books i read a lot i think it was about a girl named betsy but i cant remember. i just remember reading them a lot from age 7 -9.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Where the Wild Things Are.

Something about being a "naughty" kid being made king of the monsters was something I loved.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Curious George books

Nancy Drew and Little House on the Prairie books

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Life Story, by Virginia Lee Burton

Little House, by Virginia Lee Burton

Rain Makes Applesauce, by Julian Scheer

Richard Scarry books

Trumpet of the Swan, by E. B. White. I must've read this four or five times.

There was also a series of books I really liked when I was in fifth grade, but I can't remember a single thing about them other than the name of a chapter title!

• Valis
    Valis

Where The Wild Things Are?

Oh The Places You WIll Go, Dr. Suess

The Little Engine That Could

And one I can't remember the name, but it was about a boy and everything turned into food...very funny..

Then by the time I hit 4th grade I was reading Dr. No...

SIncerely,

District Overbeer

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

• Just William
    • Biggles
    • Hornblower
    • Swallows and Amazons

Then again, I am giving my age away here.

lol

Eyeslice

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

charlotte's web. little house books numerous times. harriet the spy. curious george. many by dr. seuss, margaret wise brown, richard scarry. the once and future king by t.h. white

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit