My Phone Conversation With Watchtower on Tsunami Disaster!

by Voyager 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Lynne...what xjw_b12 said. Times 2

Doubtfully Yours sez:

Voyager,

First, you've got way too much time in your hands and need to get to working on the really important things in life.

I don't think you can be a judge of how "much time" he has in his life. He had the guts to make the call, transcribe & post it here for our benefit and that of lurking JW's who need to know what the GB is doing in their names.

Jesus only gave 2 commandments...Love God...& LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR !

The NEIGHBORS need love and help right now ! Not a magazine or Free® Bible© Study*?

The Witnesses are not showing Christ-like Love!

Rabbit

• jgnat
    jgnat

Fresh from the KH meeting today, a short announcement, "In regards to relief efforts to Asia, please read the Question Box in your January Kingdom Ministry." Here is the text in full:

Our Kingdom Ministry, January 2005 For Canada km-E 1/05 Vol. 48, No. 1, p. 7
    Question Box

"What is the best way to make contributions for the benefit of needy brothers in other lands?

At times, we hear about brothers in another land who have come into material need because of persecution, disaster, or other difficult circumstances. Some brothers have been moved to send funds directly to the branch offices in such lands, requesting that the money be used to help a certain individual, a particular congregation, or a designated building project. - 2 Cor. 8:1-4.

While such loving concern for fellow believers is commendable, often there are needs that are more urgent than those that the contributor has in mind. In come cases, the designated need has already been cared for. Of course, we can be confident that when contributions are sent to the local branch office for the worldwide work, the Kingdom Hall Fund, or disaster relief, those donated funds will be used as directed by the contributor.

The brothers in all the branches have been thoroughly trained to respond quickly to unanticipated needs. In all cases, the branch keeps the Governing Body informed regarding the matter. If additional assistance is needed, the Governing Body may invite nearby branches to help or funds may be sent directly from headquarters. 2 Cor. 8:14, 15.

Therefore, all contributions intended for the worldwide work, building projects in other lands, or disaster relief should be sent to the branch office in the land in which you live, either through the congregation or directly. In this way, ?the faithful and discreet slave,? through the organizational arrangement set in place by the Governing Body, cares for the needs of the worldwide brotherhood in an orderly manner. - Matt. 24:45-47; 1 Cor. 14:33, 40.?

• Valis
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell
    WT rep--Sure, let me give you the latest information that we have. As of Monday the reports are: India, Malaysia, Somalia, Sri Lanka, and Thailand report that there was no great loss of life among the local brothers. Sadly in Thailand (2) brothers who were vacationing were known to have been killed. There have been of course loss of homes, personal possessions, and Kingdom Halls have damage. We are asking that if individuals would like to donate to the relief work, if they would please donate to the (Watchtower Worldwide Work), and it will be distributed from there.

Translation, all we care about is the Jdubs and kingdum halls and to hell with the rest of those poor bastards.

Will

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

JUST SEND US THE MONEY!

DON'T ASK QUESTIONS!

WE'LL TAKE CARE OF IT.

TRUST US WITH YOUR MONEY.

Outoftheorg

• D.Rigg
    D.Rigg

Hi I just joined this site. And I was interested in the letter Voyagers article on his/her conversation with the WBTS office.

I am Irish by the way. So Hi from the Emerald Isle. I thought it was nice of Voyager to try and find out how an emergency such as the Asian disaster is handled by this organisation. He started off telling us that he sincerly wished to know what happens.

It was also noteworthy that ' V ' did not treat the personal unkindly while posing his questions.

Unfortunatly the place he should have gone for this information would have been to a Branch headquarters nearer the disaster area. The personel answering the phones there would have been more in touch with what was happening and have updates as to all ongoing progress. What some of your readers may not know is that all of the work in any part of the world is performed by volunteers. Every so often people are moved around to gain other experiences within the Branches. Some volunteers are very green when moved to new departments and need to ask for assistence from those more experienced. There is a Branch office in Ireland with a larger one in London. This one has a printery too. However a lot of material is printed in Europe. All with the help of Volunteers.

Someone already pointed out that the WBTS are a bible based organisation who sometimes are able to send aid to area's where disaster hits, if it is within their power and is advisable and safe for all concerned. This method of assistance has been succesfull on several occasions in various places.

Depending on where it was needed a commitee would be set up to examine the situation and act accordingly with advice from the country or place concerned.

- example below from a flood in Spain

WELCOME rains began to fall over southeastern Spain, the rich agricultural areas of Valencia, Albacete and Murcia. The often dry region of Alicante also got its share. But the rain outstayed its welcome. In a few hours it rained more than it had in three years! A refreshing change was suddenly converted into a nightmare. The rivers began to flood as the rains swept down off the mountains.

Some 50 kilometers (31 mi) from the coast a new danger suddenly developed. The dam at the Tous reservoir began to crack. Too late for some, a warning was sent out. The dam gave way and a wall of water, in some places nearly 9 meters (30 ft) high, rushed down the valley of the river Júcar, swallowing up all in its path.

The flood left behind a trail of desolation: 60 towns were ravaged, 3,000 homes disappeared, another 8,000 were severely damaged and 5,000 vehicles were lost in the sea of mud. Some 140,000 people suffered loss in one way or another; in some cases it was the loss of dear ones. In the province of Valencia 42 dead and 19 missing was the count at one point. In the small town of Carcagente alone 11 people perished. More lives were lost in the provinces of Albacete and Alicante.

Local organizations, such as the fire departments and the Red Cross, as well as many other volunteers, swiftly rushed in to help the affected region. The day after the devastating flood, an aid committee, appointed by the branch office of Jehovah?s Witnesses in Spain, also managed to establish contact with some of the Witnesses in the affected areas. Two days later, with great difficulty, a truck entered Alcira loaded with food, clothing and other provisions. Because of the traffic difficulties and the danger of epidemics from the rotting carcasses of animals, the authorities controlled access to the worst-hit towns. However, the aid committee got permission to enter the blocked areas to attend to the most urgent needs of the congregations of Witnesses in the zone. In addition to a supply of food and clothing, it was necessary to clean the homes of the layer of mud that had entered. In the first weekend after the catastrophe, some 200 members of the congregations in Valencia city and province helped in that work . Others who were not Witnesses were also aided, such as neighbors and those who lived near Kingdom Halls.

A commitee would get in touch with the nearest Branch headquarters to the Disaster. This Branch may need assistence If like the Tsuname disaster where the aid needed is widespread. Then they would advise maybe to send donations to particular Branch offices possibly with a list of where to send what you desire. Any Donations sent to the Headquarters in the U. S.are forwarded to these branches. In some cases there is a special box set up in Kingdom hall to accomodate all who wish to help within a congregation. I have assisted in counting these sort of contributions and co-signed the receipt for the record of the donation prior to it's being forwarded.Because we care for the members of our congregations we look after them. In any disaster they would be looking to us to help them.

There were a number of Irish people on holiday during the disaster our country was holding its breath to find out if any survived. We all shared a great relief to see those who did survive, arrive at the airport.

Sadly one 27yr old beautiful girl was seperated from her boyfriend and died. He survived. But is broken hearted as is her family.

I received this e-mail from Concern an Irish charity run along with many others in Ireland for the poor of the world. The reason I recieved it was that I am already a monthly subscriber to this charity to help people in Sudan.

Dear Friends,

I am sending this email to update you on the action Concern is taking to help the victims of the Asia earthquake disaster. We are so grateful for the truly wonderful response of our supporters, which has allowed us to respond quickly and effectively. If you have not yet had the opportunity to give to the Earthquake Appeal you can do so by clicking here.

Within hours of the tsunami wave Concern teams were helping the rescue effort in Tamil Nadu state, India one of the worst affected areas. We spoke to Mrs Thangamma, a 62 year old woman from Thazankuda village in the region.

On Sunday 26 th December, Mrs Thangamma was helping her daughter-in-law sort fish to be sold in the daily market. Suddenly she saw that there was something approaching their village which seemed like smoke. As it neared, she realised it was huge waves. Together with her daughter-in-law she ran for safety. She said,

"I tried to run as fast as I could, but slipped and fell down and became unconscious. When I regained consciousness, I thought I am already dead".

Concern is assisting Mrs Thangamma and thousands more like her in Tamil Nadu. Working with partners in the region, we have provided Survival Packs containing locally produced food, basic shelter materials, blankets, fire wood, rice, buckets and basic items of clothing.

This has been possible thanks to the generous and prompt response of our donors and I am asking you, if you have not already done so, please respond to this appeal. You can donate now by clicking here.

A gift of ?50 could purchase one Survival Pack.

Our assessment team in Sri Lanka reported the following on New Year's Day:

'From all that we have seen and heard it is clear that the situation here is as bad as anyone would imagine from media reports - indeed worse. The intensity of the effect on people is difficult to comprehend. Many, many families have lost relatives, homes, livelihoods and are injured and displaced. For many the land on which their houses stood, no longer exists - to where do they go back? Who would want to go back to live where disaster and death came so suddenly, where the very source of their food and their means of earning a living turned against them so violently? Their fear is both real and strong.'

A Concern Rapid Deployment Unit arrived in Indonesia on 2 nd January. They have identified urgent needs:

• Equipment to bury the dead i.e. body bags, masks, breathing equipment, disinfectant, gloves etc.
    • Food and shelter are also priorities - particularly food for children.

Please click here now to make a donation of ?50, ?100, ?250 or whatever you can afford.

Concern has over 30 years' experience of responding to disasters and needs at least ?8 million to provide relief and rehabilitation. If you have not yet had the opportunity to make a donation to the Asia Disaster Appeal please do so now by clicking here or by calling 1850 410 510. Thank you for whatever you can give and thank you if you have already given.

Yours sincerely

Tom Arnold
    Chief Executive Concern

Dispite being pensioners like many others we live on a limited income. But of course I am going to contribute to this appeal. I found myself in a predicament where I was wondering who to support. Especially after hearing on news programmes of the difficulties in getting even food to some places. Now I know where my help is being directed I am at ease knowing it will be used in the best way. Concern always give a choice of ways to help.

I thank you all for being gracious enough to read all of my mail. Maybe it will help some not to expect The WBTS to be what they think it should be. After all one wouldn't expect to know how to do any task without first going to one who has experience in order to learn the tecnique. WT personal have to ask for help from those more experienced in any field and also from the authorities. Especially so in this awful and unusual tradgedy.

Thanks D. Rigg

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

D. Rigg,

Thanks for your post. Most of the people here have spent the majority of their lives as Witnesses (35 yrs for me) we do realize that the Watchtower Soc. is not set up primarily as a relief org. That is really not our problem with them. The problem is, as shown in your post about the flood in Spain...the WTS simply BYPASSES the organizations that are out there for relief...so they can help out their own first !

For the life of me I cannot understand this: If I was a JW volunteer, driving Emergency Relief Supplies...to my fellow brothers & sisters 'in the faith'...I would end up PASSING OTHER INNOCENT VICTIMS on the way !

How can anybody DO that in good conscience ?

Why not simply DONATE MONEY & Supplies to the folks that ARE Emergency Disaster Relief experts ?

People & Trucks that go in for only a select few people, likely just get in the way of the experts.

How would a so-called starving, injured "worldly" family feel...watching Jehovah's Witnesses...drive by & away, ignoring them & others, then, watching needed aid being given only to a select few, simply because 'they' are members ? The words "shameful, disgusting and un-Christian" come to my mind.

Churches of all types, businesses of all types and individuals all over the world are not set up as "Relief Agencies" either, yet, BILLIONS of $$$$ have been collected in hastily arranged "Donation Drives"...which were then set to the Red Cross, Red Crescent or other experts who KNOW how to give equal aid to everyone...INCLUDING JW"S !

"Jesus wept." ----------------------->What Jesus would do if he saw how hypocritical the JW's are in matters like these.

Rabbit

• Preston
    Preston
    Administration rep--Exactly, actually right now we know of (2) known Jehovah's Witnesses that were killed, washed away, and (2) others who we are not sure if they were witnesses or that it was their wives that were witnesses.

No wonder there hasn't been a push by the WT to ask for contributions....only 2 known witnesses were killed. Praise be Jehovah (obvious sarcasm here) for futhering any funds on hand for the greater need... of the world wide preaching work (obvious vomiting moment here).

- Preston

• lynne
    lynne

Well - I didn't know it til I stumbled in on you, but this really is a room of bitter obssessed haters. One of you said most of you are ex jehovah's witness? So that's what the problem is?

Then NOTHING would appease you about the jehovah's witness group; even if you saw evidence with your own eyes that you were mistaken in your judgement against them. That's because you NEED to believe the jehovahs witness - are EVIL in order for you to feel validated.

What a crummy way to live.

I'm sorry I encountered this room. I was looking for info on Google - on the tsunami - and found you all. Im a psychology major and couldn't help being awed by the atmosphere - couldn't help being appalled at the rage factor.

But - as long as you all know you don't HAVE to stay in the rut you're in - I guess it's a matter of to each his/her own.

But again, like I said before - I still stand by the advice to join another church; one that accommodates your conscience in matters like natural disaster relief. You can find personal fulfillment in more positive ways. If that means donating your time and money to help people in pro-active ways - well - there are loads of organizations who specialize in that. Not just chat rooms to perpetuate negativity. that's just not healthy and it doesn't take a psychology degree to see that.

Other than that - you must know there are countless churches and religious organizations that should appeal to you're religious needs.

I guess you really believe you're performing some great public service by posting this obsessive rage. I think you're only prolonging your own healing and that's a shame. Well I wish you all good luck. Really I do - oh and save the profanity in return. That's just bad manners.

I'll leave you all to your subject matter from now on - I can't stomach it - If I had known what this was all about I would have saved myself the heart-rending experience of witnessing this enormous stagnation of scorned self-pity.

You know - i bet jehovahs aren't wasting a fraction of their time obsessing about what you think of them. So why should you? Goodbye forever!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Lynn, my dear, you are projecting. Do you know what that means?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit