WTS Cashes In On Tsunami

by ezekiel3 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

hmm ....

.... I can't believe this is actually in the January 2005 Our Kingdom Ministry. There sure are a bunch of "optic" challenged people in Bethel.

Interesting things about long term disasters. First off the press does the story on the disaster .... but after a few days it needs more stories so they start looking for making a story. Such as the beltway press went on a tear over Bush's so-called lack of a speech. Our press in Canada went after our government too for its supposed lack of money being given.

I wonder if the press would be interested in this angle.

If someone would kindly scan this document I will send it to Laurie at the NY Times and James at CP.

hawk

• Neo
    Neo

It's good to remember that the Question Box on disasters in the January KM is merely a coincidence. The article was written at least since november.

Neo

• willyloman
    willyloman

This is just a devious way to shortstop the charitable giving that will result from this horrible tragedy. The WTS only organizes relief when a significant number of brothers and sisters are affected by a disaster. Check the latest Yearbook: how many dubs are in Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and other Hindy/Bhuddist countries? Then numbers are pretty small, I bet. The amount of relief sent there will be measured out accordingly.

The Red Cross gets my donation.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Wtachtower, Jan1, 2001 :

Keep in Step !

22 Kingdom interests on the earth have been entrusted to "the faithful and discreet slave," which is represented by the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (Matthew 24:45-47) The Governing Body is primarily concerned with providing spiritual instruction and direction for the Christian congregation. (Acts 6:1-6) When fellow worshipers are affected by natural disasters, however, the Governing Body asks one or more legal entities to provide relief and to repair or restore damaged homes and Kingdom Halls . If certain Christians are dealt with harshly or are persecuted, steps are taken to build them up spiritually. And "in troublesome season," every effort is made to keep the preaching work moving forward.—2 Timothy 4:1, 2.

Englishman.

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

A useful tool in determining which charities are worthy of your cash is Charity Navigator:

Charity Navigator, America's premiere independent charity evaluator, works to advance a more efficient and responsive philanthropic marketplace by evaluating the financial health of America's largest charities.

Out of curiousity, I searched their database of over 3400 charities with the keywords "Watchtower" and "Jehovah," and no results were returned. That's a shame because it would be interesting to see how they stack up in the various efficiency ratings and peer analysis.

Of course, the WTBTS probably isn't registered as an official charity, so it may perhaps be unfair to compare them with organizations that are. However, when the WTBTS suggests that you give to them in lieu of contributing to official charities, aren't they putting themselves on an equal plain? Since that appears to be the case, they would do well to adhere to the spirit of the industry-recognized Donor Bill of Rights: (emphasis added)

I.To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
    II.To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
    III.To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
    IV.To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
    V.To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
    VI.To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
    VII.To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
    VIII.To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
    IX.To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
    X.To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers."
    -P
  • Neo
    Neo

The WT doesn't have special funds for disasters, but they found plenty of time to write an entire brochure on how you can donate money to them. Check the link.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Thanks for the link Neo. Is this brochure new? I didn't see it before I left the Org over a year ago. Is this a brochure that has been annouced publically for all JWs to see or do they keep this one in the back room for those with special needs who want to donate large amounts of cash?

cybs

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

THe Society response to this will be most interesting. Witnesses in general do only help their own and in htese lands there are very few witnesses compared to the general population. So will the society show real love of man by sending a large amount of relief? or will they ignore the disaster as few witnesses are likely affected?

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    I think i just get fed up of the Hypocrisy of someone going to Meetings,probably answering up,doing Talks etc,etc and then rushing here to slag off the very Org he is claiming (to his Religious Peers anyway)to be part of.It probably pisses me off because i would hate it if my Parents (devout Jw,s but very good,genuine People )were duped by People such as Ezekiel.

Before I roll up my sleeves on this matter, I want the issue of this thread to stay on topic, and encourage everyone to contribute to a reputable charity for the myriads of victims affected by the tsnami.

Now to Knat. Before you pick a fight with me in the third person on my own thread, step back and consider that we share this site as recovering JWs. Just because I am cloaked as an active JW doesn't mean I not in the same boat with you. I made the difficult choice to stay active to maintain my family and friends - who would otherwise be torn away from me in typical cult fashion. And I respect everyone here who have made an even more difficult choice: to leave their JW life entirely.

Instead I have made use of my status to inform exJWs of the rediculous policies that continue to oppress and misinform JWs "in the bubble." Yes Knat, that includes your parents. But remember this well. I'm not the one duping them, the WTS is. The fact that you contribute to this discussion shows you to have little or no respect for JWs. So let's play nice and try to respect each other's positions. I'll assume you were raised JW as I was. So we understand that about each other.

Within 3 months the Awake! will have a full spread on the tsunami disaster for immediate distribution and the GB will be laughing all the way to the bank. But what will they have really done to help? Proclaim that Jesus could calm the sea and to trust in God's kingdom coming soon, very soon? Let's focus on the real hypocrisy here, shall we?

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman
    ValiantBoy

Welcome and Happy Birthday

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit