WTS Cashes In On Tsunami

by ezekiel3 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    Her group, Utah Teens for International Outreach, is also sending letters to area high schools asking for help. The donations, to be collected for two weeks, will likely be sent to a Jehovah's Witnesses office in the disaster area, she said.

Leolaia - thanx for that find.

Can't any web savy super sleuthing poster on this board find a way to contact Cassie? The thought of that generous soul and all her hard work being horded by the WTS is sickening.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here's another article on her work:

Students formalize their relief efforts
    By KALLEE NIELSEN
    [email protected]

ST. GEORGE -- A group of high school students has formalized its efforts to help collect money and goods for victims of the tsunami and earthquake that killed more than 58,000 people from Asia to Africa.

The student-formed Utah Teens' International Outreach on Tuesday placed donation cans at St. George Maverik stores and will begin Monday to collect money and in-kind donations at Snow Canyon High School.

The group was formed by Snow Canyon senior Casie Mcnaughton and sophomore Jordan Street. They read about the destruction caused by the earthquake-generated tsunami and wanted to help.

Mcnaughton and Street spent most of Monday calling local businesses and the Region 9 student body presidents for support. Dixie High School Student Body President Kenzee McDonald said she was happy to join the cause.

"It has to be so hard on them, and I want to do what we can to help them out," McDonald said. McDonald said she will be making frequent announcements at the high school when classes resume next week encouraging people to donate.

The teen group will direct money and in-kind donations to nationally recognized charitable or religious organizations, which will be asked to deliver the items to victims. The group has found a faculty adviser, Street said. Mcnaughton said that while students will do as much as they can, they need support from the community to make the desired impact.

http://www.thespectrum.com/news/stories/20041229/localnews/1801302.html

Nothing here about the Witnesses. I wonder how many people are in this group though. I would have a hard time imagining Mormon kids and other non-Witness kids not caring about the money being sent to the Watchtower Society and not to a recognized charitable organization.

• chappy
    chappy
    The donations, to be collected for two weeks, will likely be sent to a Jehovah's Witnesses office in the disaster area, she said.

Am I missing something? Why is this sentence suddenly thrown into the article with no reason or explination? Why are the donations being sent to the WTS in the first place? Is this girl a JW? If she is then I'd never know it from reading the article.

Also it was mentioned in a couple of posts that the WTS discouraged donating to charities and encouraged donations to itself. I saw no evidence of this from the article. I just read that they prefered contributions go to the branch office of the country in question, specificly for the worldwide work.

chappy

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The donations, to be collected for two weeks, will likely be sent to a Jehovah's Witnesses office in the disaster area, she said.

Don't ya just love little "out" words? That money is GONE and will be used to fly a GB member first class to another country where he will give yet another talk demanding the JWs sell even more books.

• sf
    sf

http://thespectrum.com/news/stories/20041229/localnews/1801302.html

Students formalize their relief efforts

By KALLEE NIELSEN
    [email protected]

[write to this articles author as well]

For More Information

How To Help

• Drop off in-kind donations or money for the tsunami and earthquake victims starting Monday at Snow Canyon High School, 1385 N. Lava Flow Drive in St. George.
  • [area code 435]

• Snow Canyon High School -- 634-1967, ext. 111.

• Casie Mcnaughton -- 632-3439.

• Jordan Street -- 229-8846
  • Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

SF

Hopefully the cash hasn't fallen in to the WTS' clutches yet.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Another great thread.

Bangalore

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit