RE: SASSY'S PLEA FOR HELP WITH TSUNAMI DISASTER

by azaria 41 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

I'm broke, and waiting on social security. Thanks for reinforcing exactly how impotent and ineffedtive as a person I am.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Avishai...there are many ways to give! And you're often on the giving end on many very important issues. We would be so lucky to have an avishai in every neighborhood.

Please don't place too much importance on one person's unreasonable outburst. She might regret it already, and even if she doesn't, others here have made it clear that there are other ways to look at this matter.

• missy04
    missy04

Azaria,

I can understand how you would feel like this...because it's a completely heartbreaking situation.

There are alot of reasons people didn't respond much, I imagine. Maybe they don't know what to say, or maybe they did donate and know that's all they can do, or maybe they are in a situation where it is impossible for them to donate and they feel guilty and sad about it. All some people can do is pray for the poor people, and hope that their suffering did not last long. Unfortunately that is all I can do right now, and I am sure that is the situation alot of other people are in right now, too. Doesn't mean their hearts didn't break over it, though.

~Sarah

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

With all due respect Azaria, What on Earth makes you think people here or anywhere else are doing nothing??? Are you serious? You do realize that just in America, shortly after 9/11 over $500 million dollars was donated to different charities. This doesn't include Government assistance and Volunteer efforts. What makes you think this catastrophy will be any different? Look how much money has been raised (see above links) in just the short time after the news.

Is that an easy way out for you?

Surely you do not think that you are the only one moved by this disaster - right?

Some here are more interested in what avatar somebody should use.

How the F#@% do you know what I'm interested in?

I don?t see too many people on this board being generous or even going to these posts.

Call me crazy, but my first instinct was NOT to first consult with fellow members of a discussion board.

How can we sit back and do absolutely nothing?

Maybe you should pause before you presume... it's offensive, pompous and naive.

You need to apologize.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    For those who have given, god bless, for those who have not, god bless you too for surely you have nothing and must be living in poverty.

Brummie

brummie i know you werent being sarcastic. you do know that some of us do live in poverty?i live on 430 bux a month and food stamps. poverty lives but poverty gives. generosity doesnt just come from those comfortable. what i was able to donate was a mere drop in the bucket but i was able to give some. after reading this thread i feel the need to state that publicly , theres this little girl in me that wants to freakin fit in. . . the local hindu temple has had families gathered together waiting for word from their ken over in the afflicted areas. there has been an effort to gather money together to help them fly over to be with their injured relatives and try to bury their dead. thats who i chose to give to. the need was there, the money that was collected was given to ones who were able to take it straight to the source of need.

• Brummie
    Brummie

No candidly, I really mean it, god bless those who live in poverty, when nature hits like it has done this week then surely only poverty could stop us from giving. Like you, what I gave is a drop in the bucket compared to what some can give, but we can only give what we have got, there is no sarcasm intended.

kiss

Brummie

• LDH
    LDH

WHAT TSUNAMI DISASTER?!?!?! Someone tell me!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

No candidly, I really mean it, god bless those who live in poverty, when nature hits like it has done this week then surely only poverty could stop us from giving. Like you, what I gave is a drop in the bucket compared to what some can give, but we can only give what we have got, there is no sarcasm intended.

kiss

Brummie

thats a great reply thanks. i think if your not coca cola or another big company anything given will be just a drop ya know? but a lot of drops add up.

not to change the subject but i was watching the news today and it had to have been msnbc or fox.. some man from a relief agency said it costs 3000 dollars to get 100 dollars of aid to india. i thought that was a rediculous ratio! they need a frugal housewife handling the money. lol

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

If 100,000 could donate just 2 or 3 bucks it is a lot of money.

I know there are PLENTY on this board that have given to help in the relief one way or another. Instead of getting hysterical and critizing people for not posting what they have given...do what some other posters have done and post links to reputable charities to give to.

Simon has banners on the site to donate to the cause as well. You need to understand that demanding people respond like this really makes people uncomfortable, and it won't help the situation over there. Encourage people to give, but don't demand and demeanor.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I'm sorry but i don't agree with the line of argument here. It goes like this: you see, we may beilieve, and sincerely so, that our 'cause' is just and right, then what happens when others don't join us? - we accuse them of being what in the Borg's terms would be "unrighteous'.

It ainb't necessarily so that people have to do things the way we want. There may very well be sincerely held beliefs about helping these people in another way. Ever considered that? Probably not. That's the Borg for you! Exactly their approach. Don't support my idea - you're bad, man!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit