what sin is facial hair supposed to lead to?

by little1 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Neo
    Neo

So, who is the most theocratic??

• little1
    little1

who's the 2nd guy, Neo?

• Neo
    Neo

J. F. Rutherford, Watchtower's second president.

If male dubs nowadays don't wear beards, it's because of him. They don't have a clue.

Neo

• one
    one

Ruherford went as far as to promote the idea that facial hair was the result of sin.

I am not sure if the "theory" was ever printed but i know for fact that when i was very young it was told to me by top guns when i asked about it

That is why Adam and jesus were not shown with facial hair in wt literature prior to the early 60. They may still keep such books at the kh libraries. Check the most widely wt distribuited book at the time, the pink book "Paradise lost..." printed around 1960

• PinTail
    PinTail

Extra extra extra read all about it, I will soon scan a letter that was mailed to me from the GB that says its Ok to have a beard as a witness. It will be under its own sub-heading. I had so many elders asking for copies of this letter for the past seven years to keep in their files, its so *^$! funny.

Shane

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Rutherford came to power around World War One. We all know there was a spike in nationalism and militarism (is that even a word?) around that time. Prior to this, it was fashionable for men to have both beards and shoulder-length hair, afterwards the clean-cut military look was in: no beards and short hair. So much for "quit being fashioned after the things in this world." Now they defend it with circular logic, "You shouldn't grow a beard because none of the other brothers grow them."

Seriously, though: isn't the beard rule the most pharisaical thing you've ever heard of in modern times?

• avishai
    avishai
    Seriously, though: isn't the beard rule the most pharisaical thing you've ever heard of in modern times?

It's up there, but I'd say not reporting child molesters so as not to bring shame on the name of Jehovah is worse.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

MungoBaobab said

afterwards the clean-cut military

I once grew a beard on vacation and on my return, I conducted a couple of meetings and went to an elders meeting without shaving it off.

I had already shaved it off when the PO took me to one side and dressed me down about it. I said that in my opinion that the no beards rule had more to do with a "right-wing clean-cut military requirement that all the soldiers look and therefore act the same" than with any Bible principle. He then defended himself by saying "it was a cause for stumbling in the congregation" to which I replied that all the comments I had from the members of the congregation were favorable. He then said "oh it's not the congregation, it's some of the elders". Right, some of my fellow elders could be stumbled by my vacation beard!

I was strong in the truth then but even at the time couldn't help thinking that this particular rule was nonsense.

Eyeslice

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    If you dont shave, you may stumble the others in the congregation

Lostreality - just a brief edit here- dont you mean;

If you dont shave, you may stubble the others in the congregation

lol Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The one sin that it leads to is - independent thought and decisions - and that is what the organization fears more than anything else!!!!!!!!!!!

Just My Opinion

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit