just curious, whats wrong with the smurfs?

by embeth2525 18 Replies latest jw friends

• embeth2525
    embeth2525

Was reading the older posts and noticed a christmas display with smurfs, why don't JW's like smurfs? I guess I wasn't informed about that one. thanks Beth

• Gopher
    Gopher

It's an urban legend that was spread around the JW's in the early 80's. It shows the absolute paranoia about innocent "worldly" things that the JW's had. (Anything "magic" had to be demon-inspired !!!)

Check out this link:

http://www.freeminds.org/stories/urbanlore.htm

Here's a quote from that webpage by someone who was a JW kid back then:

Around 1983 or 1984 Smurfs were the all the rage among the kids my age. Somehow stories got started and spread like wildfire about how the Smurfs were demonic. At first I wasn't allowed to watch the TV show because of the characters Gargamel, who was a wizard, and Papa Smurf who practiced magic, if memory serves. Then it became known that several JWs who had overlooked this and bought Smurf items began to have demon troubles. The one I remember best is a story I related to my JW neighbor's grandmother, who was "worldly" (my mom was furious that I told her this story because she knew the grandmother would think we were all nuts; of course, my mom believed this story, so I guess we were nuts!) Supposedly, a little girl had been given Smurf curtains for her bedroom and the first night the evil Smurfs were there, she awoke to find they had jumped off the curtains and began dancing around her room, laughing demonically.
  • embeth2525
    embeth2525

Thank you, hahahahahaha!!!!! that is so funny!!!!1 they really go overboard.

• Valis
    Valis

Don't forget that smurfs like to hang out w/Canadian Apostates. A big no no as we are all aware.

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

Valis, your smurf collection is TOO COOL!!!!!!

That '80's childhood memorabilia is so in vogue now, but I have always liked it. Just got (for christmas) the plug and play TV Games classic arcade controller with the 5 Namco games including Pac Man. I am so psyched! As a kid, I traded my Atari 2800 and games for another friends sizeable Transformers collection (I obviously was not raised witness). I wish I still had either one. Anyway, love the Smurfs!

Will

• yucca
    yucca

In our kingdom hall we were told that a little girl brought a smurf to the kingdom hall on sunday and it came to life and ran out of the hall. wish i could of been there to see it. It was hard to believe but would never say that to anybody. yucca

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I was at a circuit assembly when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, and in an actual talk at this assembly an elder brought up the dangers of ignoring the warnings of staying away from demonic things, no matter how cute a toy ect...anyhoo, he related a story about a sister that had a smurf pin that she wore to a kingdom hall. And of course, during the metting it sprang to life, screamed and jumped off the sister and ran out of the kingdom hall.

Jeez loueeezzz....I have to tell you that I had heard stories like this from other witnesses, but to hear it from the stage during an assembly gave me the creeps. So, my mom and I took it pretty seriously, because if it was heard at an assembly, it couldn't be gossip, right?? see me roll my eyes hahaah.....

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Valis! I'm shocked! You groped that oversized Smurf's no-no spot!

• Valis
    Valis

OldSoul, no I did not grab Big Blue's crotch. That is Brother Beans. When he was done Big Blue got passed to Sixofnine, and there still is no clear picture of what went on between them, but lawsuits are pending...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Different but the same: Who here decided to smoke marijuana just because those backward messages on "Another One Bites the Dust" (Queen) told you to? Show of hands?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit