Reggie White died :(

by xenawarrior 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

I live in a city where Reggie White played- there was still more coverage of the disaster overseas here.

And yes, he did so much more than "do tricks with a ball" and it's pretty shallow of you, IMO, to minimize him to that without knowing anything about him beyond that he was a football player.

Although I was not in their circle of friends, I knew Reggie and Sara. I worked with them on certain projects here and I can tell you that the man had a heart of gold-as does his wife. They did some wonderful things in Green Bay while he was here. And a lot of their work continues on now.

Honoring his life after his passing in no way diminishes the effects of the tragedies overseas. Unless one thinks in black and white and expects others to as well.

Read my initial post as a reminder not to forget the big picture.

Thanks, but I think that we are all perfectly capable of prioritizing things in our lives on our own quite well.

XW

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

What does the earthquake/tsunami tragedy have to do with Reggie White? Or Americans' interest in sports or world events?

XW started a thread that noted the death of one man who happened to be an athlete. I do not see anywhere here where anyone is downplaying the deaths of those victims by participating in this thread. It is inappropriate and just plain bad manners for you to pop in just to lecture and wag your finger at others. You don't like sports? Fine, but don't be giving attitude to people who do.

As for the news and any video, realize White died earlier in the day, giving a station hours to edit the hours of video that was already available to them. The same could not be said for the situation in the Indian Ocean. A little perspective is helpful before condemning.

Chris

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    it was the person he was OFF the field when the cameras were not rolling that made him special to a lot of people.

Amen. And something to aspire to.

A hug to Reggie's mom and dad, and family

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Big Tex: I woke up at 7:00 AM on Sunday and sporadic reports were coming in. Not much more was put together for the 10:00 PM news. The station likely had more images to air of Reggie White than of the tsunami, so they adjusted their coverage accordingly. This makes the news more eye-catching, which improves ratings, but as a side effect dumbs down most viewers by only presenting TV-friendly news. Sports has everything to do with the tsunami because both are considered news events. Why are the results of a game considered news? It's ludicrous to consider an event like the kind of megadeath that took place akin to a sporting event, yet the sports section takes up ample time and space in news programs and newspapers. What if half the newspaper was devoted to soap opera updates?

11,800 died in the Indonesian eathquake. Let's not forget that just because a ball player died on the same news day. And I mean no disrespect to Mr. White, but his reasons for notoriety are insignificant compared to the equivalent of 4.5 September 11's.

I know, I know. Guess who's not a footbal fan.

I don't see any condemnation or finger wagging. At least not from my post. Could you please show me a specific quote, if you have one?

Xena: It's awfully naive to think Reggie White is getting any attention for anything other than his football career. Perhaps as a football player he set himself apart with being an "outspoken Christian" as someone said, or doing volunteer work, etc., but his football career is the only reason his death is a news item, and his personal life is but an anecdote to anyone who didn't know him. I'll prove it: what if Dennis Rodman died? Would he get any less attention? No, unfortunately Rodman's "bad boy" image garnered him more notoriety than White's philanthropist reputation. If Rodman was just another freak off the street, and he died, would the nation pause to notice? Of course not. There are many freaks in the world, and there are many devout Christians who do volunteer work. But only when they're famous for something else, ie doing tricks with their respective balls, do you hear about it on the evening news. You knew him, so your perspective is different. But if I asked 1,000 people on the street "Who is Reggie White?" how many do you think would respond with anything other than variations of "he's a football player?" Was he a good man? Sure, if you say so. I never once implied otherwise, did I? If I did, show me.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I don't see any condemnation or finger wagging. At least not from my post. Could you please show me a specific quote, if you have one?
    I find America's obsession with professional sports distressing, when tens of thousands of lives are ended, and one man's death gets equal attention in the media because he can do tricks with a ball.
    That kind of celebrity worship is the ultimate act of condescension
    Entertainers are no more human than the rest of us.
    11,800 died in the Indonesian eathquake. Let's not forget that just because a ball player died on the same news day

At least in my opinion, and I think others feel likewise. As I mentioned before, I think the reason there was so little video about the tsunami is at that point in time there was little or no video to be had, as well as credible information was scarce. I don't see (again, at that point in the reporting of the disaster) this being about America being disinterested in other countries. I turned on CNN the next day and it was practically wall to wall coverage with plenty of video and more each day.

For you to be consistent with your 'reminder' would not this quote

11,800 died in the Indonesian eathquake. Let's not forget that

be applicable to nearly every thread on this board? I'm sorry but I don't see this thread as putting Reggie White above the tsunami story, or glorifying sports. Isn't it possible that these are people who are simply saddened by his death?

If you want to make the argument that our society is glorifies celebrity, I think you've got a valid point.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

11,800 died in the Indonesian eathquake. Let's not forget that just because a ball player died on the same news day. And I mean no disrespect to Mr. White, but his reasons for notoriety are insignificant compared to the equivalent of 4.5 September 11's.

I know, I know. Guess who's not a footbal fan.

I guess I was taken aback by your "instruction" to us as to what we should remember- as if we were misguided children who weren't able to put the proper perspective on things ourselves. That's the way it read to me and that is the way it continues to read each time you post in this thread. I'm sure that all of the people who responded here would have totally ignored the disaster if it weren't for your sage advice.

Xena: It's awfully naive to think Reggie White is getting any attention for anything other than his football career.

Now I'm naive? Ya know what Mungo-bite me.

but his football career is the only reason his death is a news item, and his personal life is but an anecdote to anyone who didn't know him.

First of all, Reggie White wasn't just "a" football player. He was one of the greats. He is said to be one of the greatest defensive players to have ever been on the field. For that he is famous. He was loved and admired for who he was and what he contributed to this world off the field.

Why you felt the need to enter this thread and throw around your "wisdom" and instruction is beyond me but I for one was doing quite well in life without it-go figure.

XW

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I'm sorry he died. Yes, a fantastic football player.

However, I witnessed his ignorance, and hatred, for homosexuals one night when channel surfing on Christian TV. Apparently, he had made some controversal comments regarding gays. I watched, and listened, as he, and his wife, justified their stance and would not be "pressured by the sodomites" to change it.

• flower
    flower

BG, I remember when he made those controversial statements. Back then, I had a warped christian/jw view of life also and so I was fairly close to agreeing with him. Some of the kindest, nicest people in the world have their minds so warped by religious garbage that they say and think these kind of judgemental things. JW's do not have the monopoly on harmful religious teachings. But its fairly easy for me now to separate a person from some of the stupid things they say or do. I see it as a good person having a warped christian view of homosexuality. That doesnt take away from the good he did with his life here in the Delaware Valley area and in Wisconsin.

• gumby
    gumby

Well I wanna say is.... Xenawarrior isn't Xena. Xena is someone else here.

Gumby

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

I remember watching the packers/patriots super bowl....so happy he got his ring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit