Reggie White died :(

by xenawarrior 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• prophecor
    prophecor

What freaks me out is that he died from complications due to sleep apnea, a chronic condition that complicates one's breathing during sleep, a condition for which I'm deathly familiar with. I suffer from the same malady.

Godbless the Dead, Please.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

He was a good guy who terrorized QB's and yet they didn't hate him.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    11,800 died in the Indonesian eathquake. Let's not forget that just because a ball player died on the same news day. And I mean no disrespect to Mr. White, but his reasons for notoriety are insignificant compared to the equivalent of 4.5 September 11's.

I know, I know. Guess who's not a footbal fan.

I might be misreading your post, but I think you are being terribly insensitive. Just because he was an amazing football player and that's how many people knew him, does NOT mean his life was insignificant otherwise. That man and his family did MUCH to serve their community and to serve those that had little. We all know how ONE person can make an effect on many people's lives. Do you believe those 11,800 lives outweigh his? Try being Sara White today. So you don't believe he should get recognition just because you're not a football fan? You've shown some lovely colours here today. Andi

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    11,800 died in the Indonesian eathquake. Let's not forget that just because a ball player died on the same news day. And I mean no disrespect to Mr. White, but his reasons for notoriety are insignificant compared to the equivalent of 4.5 September 11's.

I know, I know. Guess who's not a footbal fan.

Gee Mungo- you can believe whatever you want about Reggie White- it's a free country. I would offer that you might have heeded your own counsel and that your time would have been more wisely spent thinking about those 11,800 who died in the Indonesian earthquake instead of taking that time to enter this thread only to throw some condescending instruction at those who feel differently about him. XW

• jws
    jws

I was certainly shocked that this man died so young. I know he certainly was a man of faith.

I also remember the other Reggie White. The one who made racist comments. The one who was acting like a real a-hole in the Nov 18, 1996 game here in Dallas, when Chris Boniol was trying to tie/break the NFL record for most field goals in a game.

I didn't like the man. Probably mostly because I'm a Bear and Cowboy fan and hate the Packers. But I am sad for his passing. At least he got to know the Packers won the NFC North.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Okay. Yes, I absolutely feel that lives of the 28,000 (new death toll) far outweigh the life of one man. I find America's obsession with professional sports distressing, when tens of thousands of lives are ended, and one man's death gets equal attention in the media because he can do tricks with a ball. That kind of celebrity worship is the ultimate act of condescension. Entertainers are no more human than the rest of us.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Okay. Yes, I absolutely feel that lives of the 28,000 (new death toll) far outweigh the life of one man. I find America's obsession with professional sports distressing, when tens of thousands of lives are ended, and one man's death gets equal attention in the media because he can do tricks with a ball. That kind of celebrity worship is the ultimate act of condescension. Entertainers are no more human than the rest of us.

Where is he getting equal attention??? So XenaWarrior (and Mercurious I think) post two threads on him with a few comments. The earthquake thread has pages of comments. He isn't getting more attention here. You don't see him getting equal attention in the media that I know of either. Compared to the Tsunami news, this has maybe been a blip on the radar. As for celebrity worship? Are we worshipping because we post a thread on it? Good God that is the most ridiculous line of thought. What I tried to point out earlier was that Reggie White's life is no more and no less important than the people who've suffered from the Asian earthquake. Instead of trying to weigh what is more important (earthquake v. Reggie White) why don't you see the important of ALL LIFE. The two tragedies have nothing to do with each other. Do you really feel it necessary to compare them? Life is lost. It's that simple. There is tragic loss for thousands of families today. Mr. White's happens to be one of them. Maybe it will make you feel better to compare your life to Ghandi's or Mother Theresa or all the people lost in the Holocaust. Oh wait...maybe not...that would be celebrity worship.

• flower
    flower

For your information Mungo..

Reggie White was so popular a PERSON not just because he was the greatest defensive player in history. If you actually read any of the articles or watched any of the broadcasts about his life, you would know that it was the person he was OFF the field when the cameras were not rolling that made him special to a lot of people. That is when he was in the community helping kids or donating his time and money in so many ways.

Reggie White was a special person...period. Anyone who KNOWs anything about sports or life or ANYTHING who met Reggie would have agreed. There are not many people alive who can say that...and now there is one less. Even if you take away his football accomplishments Reggie would have been someone worth honoring.

• cypher50
    cypher50
    I find America's obsession with professional sports distressing, when tens of thousands of lives are ended, and one man's death gets equal attention in the media because he can do tricks with a ball.

That is a generalization that I think is unfair & untrue...I have seen much more coverage on this earthquake & tsunami then on Reggie White's passing. Unless you are constantly watching ESPN or live in maybe a city where White played, that statement you made isn't close to being true; also, if you aren't a football fan then you wouldn't know that White was known for his outspoken views on Christianity (well, outspoken for a football player)...I would expect to find at least a couple of people posting about his death here given the religious nature of the site. No one in this thread even tried to establish that this was more important or less important then other news of the day...it was just important enough that it warranted a thread to discuss it.

As for Mr. White, I find it funny that a reporter on ESPN who was working on a piece about Reggie stated that he hadn't attended a church in 4 years and was learning Hebrew because he felt that he didn't know the truth of Christianity. He also did state that the biggest regret he had in life was that speech he made in front of the Wisconsin legislature...

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

None of my comments about the media were ever directed at any members of the forum or this thread. Sunday night, when I wrote my initial post, I was desperate to find information on the earthquake. It wasn't there on my local 10 o'clock news. Granted, information was scarce for both stories, but someone had plenty of time to put together a montage of newsclips and soundbites from Reggie White, complete with music. I don't think they even showed the the Indian Ocean on a map. You all know Americans are at least occasionally guilty of turning a blind eye to international matters, and I was loathe to see this happen. Read my initial post as a reminder not to forget the big picture. Did I make any personal attack on anyone here for memorializing Reggie White? I don't think so. If anyone thinks I did, I apologize; that was not my intention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit