Do your friends and workmates know...

by Aude_Sapere 31 Replies latest members private

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Most know, but I don't talk about it, except on rare occasion. Like when my parents showed up on my supervisor's doorstep last year!

TresHappy, what was that all about?!? laters kaykay_mp

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

One of my workmates know that I am struggling to be a JW and he has been very supportive. Their are alot of things he doesnt understand and alot of things that seem crazy to him. He is a catholic that never attends.
    After seeing the confusiong and depression that Ive been going through with doubts and confusion he has been telling me "I think you should quit reading anything anti-JW and just remain one." Just keep in mind that maybe you dont agree with every little thing they tell you. He then went on to say "All churches are like that, nobody agrees with everything said from the podium. Not bad advice I think.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Pan,

I suppose I'm one of the few on this board that will agree with you and your workmate. At least if you do return/continue, it will be with an educated open mind. You know what you know...now. Relax if you can and take it as it comes.

Hugs. If you don't show up here again (for a while) I wish you all the best. You're a good person and deserve the best.

Brenda

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Thanks for all the comments, EVERYONE!!

I feel shame for having been a witness for so long and am struggling with this. Struggling with depression for many, many years and I think that my current feelings of shame are keeping me in a depressed state even now. I feel that I don't quite 'fit-in' anywhere.

I was a bold and faithful witness for so long (age 10 to 32-ish) and feel a bit guilty for not believing anymore.

I left because I felt that what was being said and done in the congregation was wrong and could not in good conscience associate with those people anymore. Yet I didn't feel connect to anyone or anything else.

Subject of religion comes up ALOT at work and I generally avoid it. Twice I've been asked what religion I am/was and I just say 'various' - which is true. One person tried to pin me down but I would not answer. Just told him - not important.

I've been out for over 12 years now and am now finding that I really need to come to terms with this part of my history. I need to own it, accept it and move on --- with pride and confidence.

And I'm struggling.

This board has been very, very helpful. Again, I thank EVERYONE for their contributions here.

Any additional comments, further insight and encouragement will also be greatly appreciated!!

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

It's nobody's effing business. If people already think the JWs are kooky what will they think of you when you tell them you think so too? I agree with the poster and his wife who said being an ex-JW is just as bad a pigeonhole to be in. At my workplace, nobody knows what the hell religion I am. Some surmised I am/was a JW, others (correctly) think I'm an atheist, still others think I'm non-religious. Some people think I'm Jewish. But you know what? Those are only the nosy, gossipy futhermuckers that need a good ass-whooping because a person's religious affiliation is nobody's effing business. I couldn't possibly care less about what brand of inspirational folklore Paul in Bookkeeping ahheres to, so why should anyone care about me?

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Kay Kay,

My parents were in the door to door ministry and happened to run across my boss. It was a total fluke, they didn't know and he didn't either...until he heard the last name...he quietly took the magazine and on Monday morning showed it to me...look at what your parents gave me this weekend...what should I do with it? He had the biggest smile on his face...I told him to use it as toilet paper...he said that was a good idea!

• redskymedic
    redskymedic

Unless asked, I keep that little tidbit tucked under my hat. I hate trying to defend why I wasn't smart enough to leave sooner!

Red

• Miata
    Miata

Well, I am an active member of the Silent Lambs org. and sing to the heavens about the JW"S cultish and molester protection ring. But I have been out of the Borg for over 20 years now so it is very easy to bad mouth them.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I don't bring up my JW past, but sometimes conversation requires that I tell them my story... such as just before Christmas we were all out for lunch and they asked me if I was planning on visiting my family. I told them no because they are all JWs and they shun me because I am not a JW.

I told them that, instead, I will be visiting friends.

• jws
    jws

I'm open to sharing if it comes up. I don't try to hide it. I'm proud to be an EX JW as opposed to when I was a JW and tried to hide the fact that I was one.

Interesting thing at work. Guy from another department was talking to the guy in the cubicle behind mine. Not that I was listening in, but certain things prick up your ears. I heard him say his uncle is a Jehovah's Witness. I spun around and said "Really? I used to be one of those". No real reaction from him. Maybe an "Oh", then I let the two of them get on with their conversation.

Not that I really know the guy, but it seems like now he's avoiding eye contact with me. Maybe I missed part of the conversation before that where he was saying he was a JW and I came in when he was saying it was his uncle that introduced him to it. He could be a JW. He seems like a smug little prick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit