Do your friends and workmates know...

by Aude_Sapere 31 Replies latest members private

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Only the ones I am friends with outside of work know my dub history. I see no reason to bring it up. I have been asked what religion I am and I say none. A dub works where I do and she does not bring her religion into the work place and is very professional. Thank goodness.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Besides my boss, no one else knows. We are a smaller, tight knit group here, so eventually I imagine that it will come up.

I don't mind talking about it, but I prefer not to make it a part of my identity in people's minds.

"Winston? Oh, you mean that guy who used to be in the WatchTower cult? Yeah, I know him."

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Most of my friends know, they are all sympathetic.

As for work, I never tell anyone. Its none of their business. I have brought up in the past during christmas time that its extra special because I didn't get to celebrate as a kid. But its only in passing talk....NEVER a "discussion"

My immediate family who aren't jws are always kind not to bring up the christmas and easter cards I send em...they know I already have enough problems as is with my mom and brother. No need to cut open wounds for everyone. I think they believe that maybe someday my mother will come to her senses.

Me too.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

If it comes up, for whatever bizaar reason, I talk about it. I'm not ashamed. I have 3 or 4 friends that know I was raised JW. A couple are now aware of the agnostic brummie dot cookies!

No biggie. If asked what religion I belong to today, I respond "none". If asked what my beliefs are I responde something like a combo of native american, budhism, and wiccan.

I just this week defined myself as a Mystic Agnostic.

Hugs and blessings for the Holidays and New Year

Bren

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

No, It makes it hard to be yourself when you are supposed to be living by certain rules.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Both CJ and myself's workmates have "witnessed" a total transition. They would hold their Christmas parties in the New Year, so we could attend. They are much happier now that we have crossed to the "Dark Side"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sure they do, because I am still in the same job and work mainly with the same people that I worked with when I was a dub. In those days I used to do a bit of witnessing at work and now of course it is different.

I find that it is so much easier when the occasion arises , nowadays I speak from the heart rather than toeing the party line as J W's do. My workmates have been great . Forgiven me for some of the silly things I once said to them and now I can honestly tell them the truth about the dubs. I do not think they are likely to have a study....

I was interested when it was said

People will ask what religion your were raised

it is not like that in England. People do not usually ask questions that would appear personal

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Just my close friends know...I have absolutely no problem sharing my past with them.....they are my greatest supporters. When I'm having difficulty with my family or certain feelings that I can't over come....it's liberating to me that I can share it with my friends and they can give me a hearing ear. People in general don't know, not all of my workmates knew because I wasn't close to everyone....I don't know everyone's past either. It's kind of something you share with someone you are close with. It is personal, because it involves a much deeper part of yourself.

• boa
    boa

Some of my workmates know, but the wife and I early realized that to talk about it openly simply boxes you as an 'ex-cult' member.

So I explain to others if they ask but otherwise don't bring it up.

Of course, certain 'conduct' caused some questions!!!

boa...

• Mulan
    Mulan

Well, I don't work outside my home, and all of my friends seem to be ex JW's.

Those who aren't ex JW's, probably know my past, but I don't bring it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit