I Love It When The Words Are Wrong..

by Englishman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

My old boss was forever going on about us being careful "Not to set any presidents".

HL's friend's ex-hubby needs some surgery on his knee to have "His cartridge removed". She's signed an affy-David as part of the divorce process. Meanwhile he spends his time in night clubs watching the Cadbury.

Jenny, the pub's landlady, took the quiz a couple of weeks back and questioned us about "Far from the maddening crowd". Just before that she was sighing over the moral atmosphere around WSM. It's the opening of a couple of "Lap-top dancing clubs" that's causing her most concern.

Englishman.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

LOL! I know someone who always says he was in "estacy". No "x" pronounced. He calls a humidor a "hemador", and mispronounces an assortment of words........worst of all, he listens to "Loverboy" and "Scritti Politi", and talks about his halcyon days in the eighties . BTW he's also one of the psuedo-rich, who lives mostly on credit card debt, despite a decent salary.

• omiecoop
    omiecoop

My "favorite" and I am being VERY sarcastic, because it bugs me horribly, is this one:

Supposably....

There IS NO SUCH WORD!

I also get crazy over someone referring to their driver's license as "them" instead of "it"---You only have one, people.

People who go the the "liberry" to check out books drive me mad, too.

Omie

• TMS
    TMS

Many moons ago, one of my JW associates would want a break from field service to get a "hambugger." His phrasing kicked my appetite down a notch or two.

tms

• Panda
    Panda

This was told on the news by George Bush senior. I saw it myself so it's no E-rumour.

The story goes like this: When our current President was 10 years old he had a report to give in grammar school. George senior asked what the report was about. Pres.Bush answered his Dad saying, "It's about Magellan and how in 15?? he circumcised the globe." I love it! I have a friend who does the same thing and I'm sure some linguistics proffessor would have some ideas about this stuff.

OH and the word NUCLEAR= NU (pronounced like new) and CLEAR (pronounced like CLEAR); not the way Jimmy Carter (also a President of the USA) pronounced it. He said NU"CU"LER. WHat the heck is that ?

Hey and what about those shibboleth guys?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

There are two of these that sound like fingernails on a chalkboard; one is JOO-lery instead of jewelry, and a newscaster that always says "baskaball" scores instead of basketball.

Annie

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I have a friend who constantly gets the following two words mixed up.

Idea and Ideal

He'll say "I think that is a good ideal" at which point I am like, you mean IDEA, there is not L on the end.

He'll then say "that house is great, it's in this idea neighborhood" and once again I have to say IDEAL with the L at the end???

He has his graduate degree and yet still messes up the two most basic words.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    He'll say "I think that is a good ideal" at which point I am like, you mean IDEA, there is not L on the end.

In the City of Bristol, just up from where I live, the locals put an "L" on the end of every word that ends with a vowel.

So Samantha becomes Samanthal, idea becomes ideal, Canada becomes Canadal.

You know why? It's because Bristol used to be called "Bristowe" and they stuck an "L" on the end of that too!

Englishman.

• happyout
    happyout

I overheard a proud mother tell someone her child was going to attend a hysterical black college (should be historical, for those outside the US)

Another lady was bragging to my brother about how smart her relative was, she said he had a photogenic memory.

Does anyone remember the Damon Wayans character on In Living Colour that used to assassinate the english language??

Happyout

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

Thanks to my mom, I can laugh about 'public' hair!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit