LCD screens, do you have one?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander
    Oh here is my setup too:

HEY!!

I've *seen* that setup before?!

JWBot, do you post on the HardForum? I'm 100% sure I've seen that system posted there!

• observador
    observador

JH,

jwbot is right. I Just want to stress what she said about color in LCD monitors. If you do graphic works quite a bit, you may want to reconsider. People who do graphics prefer using CRT precisely because of color reproduction.

Observador.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Xander, I have posted that picture in THIS forum before, in different thread, but not in the forum you mentioned. Perhaps someone saw my setup and claimed it as their own? Thats wierd... heh

• simplesally
    simplesally

I have a laptop, an I-MAC and tv..........all of which are LCD screens and I love them!

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

It's true that with 1280 x 1024 resolution you get 64 exta pixels of vertical resolution beyond the standard 4:3 aspect ratio. But, as pointed out, you only see a distortion when 4:3 content is "scaled" to fit. Popular graphics drivers now support 1280 x 960 for this reason, but you won't want to use that setting if your LCD has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 because, from my experience, scaled resolutions on an LCD just do not look that good.

Virtually all 17" and 19" LCDs are 1280 x 1024 and I haven't heard or read of anyone complaining about distorted imagery in games, if that is an area you're concerned about (definitely a factor for me ). Also, if gaming is your thing -- and you may already know this -- look for LCDs with a response time of 16ms or better (and DVI input, too, provided that your video card supports it). I currently have a Dell 2001FP 20.1 inch, 1600 x 1200 @ 16ms and it is absolute butter. The only caveat with such a high resolution is that it takes a bleeding edge video card to power it through the latest games. That's why if I were buying an LCD now, I'd get the Viewsonice VP912B. It's a 19", 1280 x 1024 @ 12ms panel that also features a newer style ultra-bright screen. It's got the same glass-type coating that you see on some of the latest laptops (particularly from Sony) and it really makes the colors pop. The downside is increased glare -- but, hey, who works games with the lights on anyway?

Okay, enough technobabble... here's the linkage for this one if you're interested:

Manufacturer's info

Newegg's product listing (currently $629 + $12 shipping).

Have fun!

-P

• one
    one

NO

and wont be happy until i get my OLED (organic LED] screen, 'photonics' will prevail in most applications eliminating most 'electronics'. WE already have fiber.

about screen size,

it is stupid using a word proccesor viewing yor work on 4/3 screen when is mean to be printed mostly on 8.5 x 11 or 8.5 x 14. paper....

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

It's worth noting that once you get to the 19" size and beyond, many LCDs can be rotated 90 degrees so that you can work in portrait orientation. My panel supports this, and if I did much in the way of desktop publishing, I could see myself living in that mode, as it really does enable you to see an entire page.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit