LCD screens, do you have one?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Just drink plenty of scotch when you're at the computer. Then you won't care if your circle looks like a trapezoid.

• Carmel
    Carmel

My son has a 30" Mac screen. He can split it six ways so he can have six different documents on the screen at one time. Glad he's got the gold mine!

carmel

• JH
    JH

I sent the picture of the circle to my nephew who has a LCD screen 1280 x 1024 native resolution.

The perfect circle on my 4:3 ratio screen was perfectly round, but on his 1280 x 1024 screen the circle became oval, which I knew would happen since 1280 x 1024 is an odd resolution.

So, I won't be buying an LCD screen because the pictures ARE distorted, unless you buy another native resolution other than 1280 x 1024.

Here is the proof of the distortion taken on his LCD screen.....

• jwbot
    jwbot

JH, I am sorry, you are wrong. The circle looks perfectly round on my computer (1200x800 ---wide screen LCD). When you set an image as a background, and STRETCH it to fit the proportions OFCOURSE it will stretch. Otherwise, images are the proportions they are supposed to me. Set the circle as the background on an LCD and DO NOT select "stretch" and your circle will be completely round. I also checked on my sedond LCD flat panel monitor (I have a duel screen desktop) that is a 18" (which is weird in itself, res 1280x1024) and it is also perfectly round provided I do not set it as a background and stretch to fit the shape of the screen. I work all day on computer graphics and the only "problem" with LCD is the color profiles--find the perfect one and then there is no problem.

Get that LCD, I give you my word there is no distortion. Here I will post an image on my next post...

• jwbot
    jwbot

Oh here is my setup too:

• jwbot
    jwbot

JH: some more information

Keep in mind, that resolutions on monitors can change. I could set my laptop screen (normally 1200x800) to 800x600 and thats when it would become distorted because it is a screen that is 13"x8". People get confused by the term "resolution". For example when you refer to resolution when making graphics, you are talking about DPI (dots per inch) or PPI (points per inch) rather than the dimentions in pixels of an image (300x400 pixels for example).

You can have a monitor that is 12,000 pixels x 800 pixels and the circle will remain a perfect circle as long as you to not make it a background and stretch it to fit. That can happen on any monitor. Even programs, the OS, will not look "stretched" because it just will not stretch. If something is meant to be only 300 pixels wide, it will always be 300 pixels wide no matter the resolution of the screen. I am not sure how else to explain this. Do not compaire computer monitors and screens to how Television works....different technology (pixels vs. tube type stuff (I do not know TVs) that DO stretch based on SIZE (in inches) of the TV).

• Satanus
    Satanus

test

• JH
    JH

Thanks jwbot, you're right.

My initial concern was that the aspect ratio wasn't 4:3 but 5:4 and thus I expected distortion. Like you say, as long as the image isn't stretched to fit screen there will be absolutely no distortion.

I will go buy a new computer as well as an LCD screen tomorrow or the day after.

Some people watch TV on their computers, so probably that would distort if set to fit screen, since tv is 4:3 and the the screen we are talking about isn't.

I just wanted to be sure before buying some new technology.

Thanks jwbot for your input.

• jwbot
    jwbot

no problem JH :)

I am a big fan of the LCD, it is very clear and of course...takes up less space :) I got a good one a while back at Wal Mart of all places...for like $450 for the 18", it might be way cheaper now too...

• justhuman
    justhuman

Yeah is great

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit