LCD screens, do you have one?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

This week, I'll go and buy a LCD screen for my computer. But first I'd like to hear from those who have one.

I noticed that 17 and 19 inch LCD screens have a native resolution of 1280 by 1024. Compared to a CRT screen, the ratios are not the same. The LCD has a ratio of 5:4 and the CRT has a ratio of 4:3, thus distortion will occur. Try to fit a 4:3 ratio picture into a 5:4 ratio screen, and it will distort. This is what's bugging me now. Who wants geometry distortion when you pay alot of money for a LCD screen.

I'd like to have your feedback on this, if you noticed any distortion in your pictures when you changed from a CRT 4:3 ratio to a LCD screen 5:4 ratio

For fun I made this circle in photoshop. It's perfectly round with my CRT screen 4:3 ratio. I'll see tomorrow if it's just as round when I view it on a LCD 5:4 screen. Maybe it will stay perfectly round, but I know when I stretch it out to fit the window, it will distort and won't be round anymore.

I'd like your feedback on this.

• JH
    JH

Maybe those with an LCD screen who are now at 1280 x 1024 resolution could tell me if you see this circle perfectly round or slightly oval.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I see a triangle JH ?

• JH
    JH

You must have windows 3.1

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have a 21inch CRT at 1600 x 1200. I love it, but it is VERY heavy and it takes up a lot of desk space because it is very deep.

Every now and then I will look at LCD screens that are able to do 1600 x 1200 but so far they are still more than I am willing to pay.... maybe one day.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Holy shit when did they come out with 3.1 ?

• Simon
    Simon

I have Windows 3.2

It's very hard to use thought because everything is in Japanese

Oh, and the sides of the square look bent on my monitor but it is about 4 years old ... I may get an LCD monitor for my birthday if I behave.

• jwsons
    jwsons

If you can, buy one with TV Turner (so you can watch TV sometimes) and if it has TV turner, ask for High Definition. Check if any dead pixel (you should ask them if bring home any dead pixel can I change another one? For it hard to check in a short time at shop. Dead pixel is a black dot always exists on screen whatever color of the area is)

jwsons

• talley
    talley

I have a View Sonic brand ViewPanelVE150B that Hubby ordered with the computer back in Dec. of '01, and I really, really like the monitor.

For a couple of years he asked me why I had not begged for a computer, or gone out and bought one, and I said I was waiting for the price of LCD to come down.

I was in grade school when TVs were intoduced and still remember the directives about not letting the kids sit too close to the screen.

My logic was and still is, that I am not about to 'cook' my boobs and eyes in front of a cathode ray tube.

BTW, the red circle 'looks round' to me.

talley/Judy

• sleepy
    sleepy

You shouldn't have any distortion problems, your ratio must be set wrong.There usually controls on the monitor to adjust it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit