Why Do People Become/Stay As Jehovah's Witnesses???

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

From these responses, it seems people (like me) will justify their reasons UNTIL THEY are ready to leave. Once they go---THAT'S IT FOLKS!

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

Most of you know that I am doubting and that it was a big step for me to even talk on an apostate board like this. The reason its hard for me to just walk away right this second is that.

Even though I have found things wrong with our beliefs the question is still in my mind. "Maybe Jehovah is still using them he used the apostles when they were imperfect and didnt understand things correctly.

I still believe in GOD no matter how you say his name. The scriptures seem to indicate their is some brotherhood I should be with.

I have helped with two JW promoted hurricane relief groups and been to many many quick builds and have always thought to myself " This has to be the truth! brother so and so doesnt even no me and lets me stay in his house."

These are just a couple I have to go to work now. Im not trying to argue im just giving you input from an active witness struggling with doubts.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Doubtfully Yours,

I'm not ready to part with my close relatives just yet, so I remain a JW, although just doing the minimal to get by

Do you preach jwism to non-jws ?

• Scully
    Scully

Sometimes I think becoming a JW is like joining the Mafia. When you join, you join for life. Nobody gets out alive. With the JWs, once you're outta da family, they treat you like you're dead anyway (until they need money from you).

Love, Scully (make me an offer I can't refuse class)

• FairMind
    FairMind

Panicattck, I know how you feel. I'm an active JW but no longer believe the WTS is God's organization. The real "truth" is that the WTS is the focal point of JW's worship not Jehovah. An absolute must for you is to read some well-written books documenting WTS history, deception, lies and ways they acquire control of your mind and life. It might be hard for you to read "apostate" books because we have been warned to steer clear of them. Keep in mind though that Jehovah is a God of light and truth. If the WTS had nothing to hide then they would not fear their members reading outside material. Some books I have read and would encourage you to read as well are: Crisis of Conscience, Ray Franz; Captives of a Concept, Don Cameron; Apocalypse Delayed, Jim Penton; In The Truth, Paul McCool. These publications are easily available and can be found and ordered through Internet websites. Jesus said at John 8:32 "you will know the truth and it will set you free.

I would also suggest that you consider some of the accounts JWs and former JWs have posted on Internet sites like "Silent Lambs". Try the link to "Best of Watchtower Society" in this web site and read some of the soul-searching information found there. Only Satan doesn't want you to know the truth so you owe it to God and yourself to look into this extremely important matter.

FM

• PinTail
    PinTail

First they become interested because of some basic reasoning from the scritures and a longing for their God. Then its a matter of fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner,fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, fear, countrol, fear , control cult cult Armagedon's comeing around the corner, and family presure. Shane

• minimus
    minimus

Scully, a long time ago I did a thread about how my daughter said the JWs were just like the Mafia. When you have that type of thinking, you know you're out.

• dh
    dh

I think a lot of people stay in because it's all they've ever known, such people have no experience and are programmed to have no interest in experience with the outside world (because they can do all that in the 'New System'. I also think a lot of people stay in because of the routine and lifestyle it gives them which they are comfortable with, i.e. they are established in a particular pond (congregation) and so stay there because they are comfortable in said pond... I think many people stay in for their partners as well.

As to why people become Jehovah's Witnesses... I think it boils down to moments or extended periods of weakness & vulnerability which can be due to too many individual reasons to list. Ultimately the JW's swoop in and take advantage of that vulnerability and weakness and offer a thing which they present as instant life, instant friends and instant safety & support from whatever, when in reality it is lies.

My experience is that no sound minded happy & successful person becomes a JW, it's always someone from the end of the line.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    it's always someone from the end of the line.

dh, what does that expression mean to you? Are you saying they are at their wits' end? Or are you suggesting that all who become JWs by choice must be the dregs of society? I know you can't mean that, since many who convert are kind and helpful people who try to take care of themselves and their families and who take at least some interest in their neighbor.

Are you talking "loser" here? Loser with no possibility of becoming a reasonably well adjusted person once out of the organization? Unable to make any positive contribution to society/community?

Also, if you differentiate between those born in and those who choose to convert, what about those who are born in who never see the teachings as anything but the "truth"? (Since some born-ins leave and some choose to stay.) Are those ones also from the end of the line?

Thanks, just trying to understand your meaning. I always appreciate your candid expressions here.

• dh
    dh

When I say 'the end of the line' I am referring to converts, and what I mean by the expression are the sort of people I have seen convert to the JW, being single mothers living alone with their kids (perhaps they were smacked around by their partner too) and no friends, lonely and depressed single guys who are also living alone, confused people, lost cause type people, people who are victims of one kind or another, people who are poor, people who essentially unhappy to begin with or have some underlying damage making them susceptible to the lies of JW's. The end of the line can be used in a lot of context, but the bottom line of how I mean it are people who are either 'losers, failures, victims' people with low self esteem or just going nowhere or lost causes, or 'damaged goods' if you understand the expression. The end of the line because if not for JW's, their life was (or is) going nowhere.

I have seen many people become JW's, and all of the ones I've seen have fitted the profile, because I honestly do not think any sound minded happy person would ever convert to become a JW, because the JW's have nothing to offer a happy successful person.

In my opinion, people born in (born as JW's) are different in that their starting point in life is where those who convert are ultimately aspiring to end up, they just don't realise the full magnitide of what hell it is... This is one reason why I think people who are born in (if they get a hold of themselves once they leave) are capable of being much stronger than those who joined... maybe 'stronger' is the wrong word, but definitely I think their nature is less damaged than that of a convert (a convert who later leaves that is, those who stay have made a choice and have the strenght to live up to it, even if in ignorrance, and I respect that), but my view is that those born in started at the bottom of the pile and that is all they knew, whereas the people who convert had the chance to do more with their lives, but chose to give their souls to the JW instead... Give their souls to the JW because they dig themselves into a hole and put themselves in a position where they needed JW's.

Anyway...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit