Why Do People Become/Stay As Jehovah's Witnesses???

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

What makes a person leave their religion and join the Witnesses? What makes a doubter or better yet a JW that KNOWS this isn't really the truth, remain a Witness? I believe most stay on because being a Witness is like being a member of a club. Those that can get into certain clubs or organizations feel VALIDATED. They feel special. Even if they don't like all the rules or even all the membership---they stay on.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    What makes a doubter or better yet a JW that KNOWS this isn't really the truth, remain a Witness?

I think that many, especially nowadays, are afraid to leave, even though they may realize that it is not really the truth. They may feel that it would become to overwhelming to leave an environment that they were used to, and be too afraid to have to deal with the shunning issues, guilt, etc. so they decide to stay in, so as not to lose family, friends and the like. Just the thought of leaving, and how hard it would be to deal with-(as many of us know firsthand), would scare some people who are not yet strong enough to leave, stay in, even though they may realize they are living a lie, and that what they have learned is not the truth..

• Gill
    Gill

I agree with ohiocowboy. They become trapped. To leave involves too much effort and too many loses. It's also partly due to laziness, like the question of why people don't change mortgage lenders and get a cheaper mortgage. TOO MUCH EFFORT!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Remaining a JW helps them maintain their illusion of superiority over others. They are, for the most part, uneducated, and many unskilled. Many who have position and power in the organization would be nothing outside of it. It's all they have.

Sad, really.

Walter

• minimus
    minimus

Walter, I agree. Window washers and carpet cleaners rule. Literally.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Many reasons.

I've seen people spend the better part of their lives as non-JWs, and when they reach the latter years they like the group mentality and the fact that it keeps their time occupied and they have a good network of people that will help out in the old age, of course provided they play all the cards right and do everything Simon says.

In my case, I'm not ready to part with my close relatives just yet, so I remain a JW, although just doing the minimal to get by.

Some people have been persuaded by JWs at a very vulnerable time in their lives, so they're easily convinced and sold a wonderful dream of eternal life or that they'll get to see their loved ones again in a paradise. What a deal, huh?!

Others are born into it and their whole world completely and absolutely revolves around the JW lifestyle, so they know and will never know any better.

DY

• FairMind
    FairMind

Many people first become interested in WT teachings during a crisis period of life. The WTS provides answers and explanations as to why things are the way they are. Once the WT routine becomes ingrained people become comfortable with the belief system and really have no reason to leave. A place in the WT organization is all that some people have and they believe that somehow this makes them special. IMOHO.

FM

• Bryan
    Bryan

I was thinking of this last night. Where else could your average Joe, with no education, get so much power over other people than to become an elder?

All you have to do is attend meetings regularly, preach several hours a week, and keep your nose clean.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Many people first become interested in WT teachings during a crisis period of life.

uh-huh. the very week my father died, hmm a knock on the door and whattya know, a whole herd of jw's... well, a sister, an ms and a bunch of kids. (i sometimes suspect they peruse the obituaries then "happen to be in the neighborhood...)

then once they get you dependent on the org, well, it's too late...

• minimus
    minimus

Weak people suddenly can become POWERFUL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit