Why Do People Become/Stay As Jehovah's Witnesses???

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

OK, so why did I remain in for forty years? There were times when I had doubts, in fact they kept coming back every few years but I did some extra studying, prayed hard , kept busy and then they went away again.

Like some that you mention, I had been in it for virtually all my life . Although it seemed hard to understand, the idea that the Org was totally wrong was just unthinkable. One would sooner have denied the rising of the sun or the force of gravity than to deny that the Gov Body and anointed were the Faithfull and discreet slave. I blamed myself for having doubts and a faith that was weak at times.

As I got older I became a little less of a WT clone and I realised that our "mother org" got her knickers in a twist sometimes , but I still was committed to staying with it. As far as I knew the concepts of the 'truth' were sound and I believed they were directed by the holy spirit, even if losely ( OK I now it sounds daft now)

If I am honest now, then the pschological reasons of emotional support and a sense of community were also true , and I quite fancied living in Paradise

It took an unexpected jolt to make me wake up and take off the blinkers, then it all just crumbled and I realised that it was Just not true.

• minimus
    minimus

Once you realize it just isn't tru or "the truth", it's easier to leave.

• Preston
    Preston

I think it appeals to people who feel they are lacking a moral or spiritual center in their lives.

• one
    one

For different reasons... one could be that now they can participate and talk, show, climb, feel important.. You have to see parents when their 8 years old kids first "participate".

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

It has alot to do with fear!

Fear of leaving. Fear of being shunned. Fear of starting over. Fear of doing something different from the norm. Fear of loosing everything.

I just a few months ago started the fade away thing. I am fearful of loosing my family. I don't know what the next few years or even months will bring me. However I can't live a lie. I can't live with myself knowing something so awful, full of lies, hatred, the ruining of families, controling, cover ups. Staying in you still have all the fears. Fear of dying. Fear of who is watching every move you make. Fear of making a small mistake. No matter what you do or say or wear etc... there is always fear behind everything you do.

I hate living in fear. However if I must I must. If I loose my family I loose them. Its hard to say that but what is worse living and breathing lies? I hate to do this but I have to not just for me but for my kids and thier future.

Its sad to think that when you want to take a different path in life whatever it may be you have no support and you are punished for your actions in a way far worse than it should be. You should not have to live in fear. Thats all I ever known in life and that is fear. I hate being scared.

Brooke WI

• JH
    JH

Those that honestly believe that it's the truth are there for the eternal life. (Majority of JW's)

Those that don't believe that it's the truth maybe stay because they don't want to lose their family or just want a place to be with their buddies.

• astro_girl
    astro_girl

Weak people suddenly can become POWERFUL! Yes, I agree 100% minimus. My mother-in-law is uneducated and has worked as a domestic helper her whole life. As a JW, she feels empowered and (most importantly) RIGHT! How many times have I heard her snickering with her "sisters" about other religions and how ridiculous and evil they are! What an ugly and hateful mind-frame this JW religion spawns among it's followers. Also, by reading the newspaper everyday (keeping the "watch") and absorbing all those "evil" headlines, it just validates how "right" she thinks she is, snuggled safely in her fantasyland. On the other hand, my brother (a moonie) is a college educated person who was a psychology major and an atheist. He became caught up in that cult right after graduating from college. My parents "lost" their son (not to mention the huge expense of his college education as we were not well-off) After 30+ years in the Unification Church (or whatever they call themselves these days) I fear my brother will never see the truth behind Sun Myung Moon's deceptions. He became a "powerful" person too, running a small moon church, giving lectures etc. Isn't it funny how the human ego truly plays a large part in these cults. It seems it's not really about worshipping God at all but feeling a false sense of superiority to their fellow human beings.

• minimus
    minimus

All great responses!! The fact is even when we KNOW the religion is wrong, at times, it's not worth it to leave.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Those that can get into certain clubs or organizations feel VALIDATED.

That pretty much nails it.

My nephew is being raised in a fundy pentecostal church by his dad and stepmom. I have tried to draw parallels with him to show how JW-like his church is, but he just doesn't get it. Pentecostals & JW's are apples and oranges to him. It's the self-righteousness and we-vs-they mentality at the core of both that makes them nothing but variations of the same tune, the doctrinal differences aren't important, but he can't see that. God I hope he does someday.

You could probably find some interesting things studying the brain chemistry of true-believers versus those of skeptics or people who don't cling to all-ecompassing smugness-inducing ideologies like pentecostalism or neoconservativism.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

my ex who told me when I was awakened, that she wanted out years earlier but could not explained it this way:

it was more painful trying to leave [emotionally] then to endure the play acting. everyone she knew since she was five was JW and she had no ability to trust "worldly people" enough to help her escape.... she fantasized about a affair with a worldy guy prior to our dating and how he might help her escape...but too many what ifs loomed too large...

for me, there were times when I thought I knew it could not be "the truth" but could not leave because I had no means of knowing if I was right and too many friends inside and none outside....so why gamble on a belief which might be demonically inspired?

when I finally did see that religion was a snare and a racket, I had a wife and could live without JWs...she had been ill at ease among witnesses for quite some time, but I thought it was a result of her car accident at the time...turns out she played that excuse for all it was worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit