Do you know of any "baptized" JW's that committed suicide or attempted?

by booker-t 78 Replies latest watchtower bible

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Yes and I was on the "investigating committee" that looked into the attempt. We reported to the body that we should leave it alone and not turn it into a JC, since we thought it more of a cry for attention than a real crime of "unchristian behavior: They took our advice.

*sigh*

How could I have been involved with any of this?

• willyloman
    willyloman
    How could I have been involved with any of this?

You did what you knew until you knew better. God will probably forgive us. I mean, if the Red Sox can win, anything's possible

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    I mean, if the Red Sox can win, anything's possible

Yes, thanks for noticing.

But those Damn Yankees just signed Randy Johnson and the power has now shifted back to NY (esp after the Mets getting Pedro)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A very sad thread . May i send my sympathies and words of support to all of those who have attemped it and gladly not succeeded. It was stated above that

"some here, but not all, have drawn or suggested the inference that jay dubyaism causes suicide "

the point is not that JW ism drives some to suicide, the point is that this org has the audacity to describe themselves as the "Happiest people in the world"..Note the WT study article for two weeks ago entitled "Happy Servants of Jehovah" paragraph 1 says "The deepest happiness - reaching the very depths of our being - comes from the awareness that we are blessed by Jehovah"

Statements like that can cause an unbearable burden in the minds of those souls who do not feel this mythical feeling of happiness that "Reflects a close relationship with Jehovah"

what we have done is give the lie to this nonsense. It shows the paucity of real spirituality and expose their teachings to be a sham ....

• dh
    dh

I knew one, who came from a long line of JW's, many generations in, grandparents and great grandparents who prided themselves as being conscientious objectors, the whole family were and are regular pioneers living a lifestyle totally devoid of material wealth, they are a family of JW's that are considered odd even among JW's, if you can believe such a thing. The eldest son, a regular pioneer to the day he died, when he was around 21 threw himself under a train as it passed the station. They had to use teeth found at the scene to identify the body.

I knew another guy who was chewed up and spat out by the org when I was a kid... He was the 'apostate' that would come to the hall drunk on meeting nights and shout and ball, and the local MS and Elders would try to act macho and get him out of there... I don't know what the whole story was as to why he was so messed up, but in the end he killed himself as well.

When I was a JW, one of my friends sisters, after many many cries for help (attempted suicides) climbed a building with intentions of jumping off it, and when the firemen were trying to talk her down, she fell... or jumped, I guess only she knows which.

I know of other cases but those are the three that stand out most in my mind.

• zealofjehu
    zealofjehu

yes i know of one who had killed himself and only a handful at the hall knew what had really happend. i remember how upset it had made me i was depressed for what must have been a year. this really does back up the reprot i read about how witness are 9 times more likely to have some kind of psycological problems.

• fairy
    fairy

i knew someone who killed himself the day the elders were going around to see him again.....they were the ones that found him

• Iskra
    Iskra

Yes, an elders' wife in Nebraska. She did it while her husband was at the District Convention in Lincoln.

• franklin J
    franklin J

my cousin that I grew up with....he became a "devout" witness just as I was falling away.

He lived on the west coast with his wife and 2 small kids. He left a suicide note and took pills....his very "theocratic" sister went crying to the elders saying he was severly ill with depression ( obviously) and would they pray to jehovah to let him be resurrected into the new world ; as he was not responsible for the suicide...poor lost soul, I actually wanted to comfort her and she wanted nothing to do with me.

Also a younger sister in the congregation I was part of . The elders would not let her mother ( one of the few really kind souls I ever knew in that religion) have a service in the Hall because it was suicide...what unimaginable bastards....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit