Do you know of any "baptized" JW's that committed suicide or attempted?

by booker-t 78 Replies latest watchtower bible

• booker-t
    booker-t

I remember one of my childhood friends was found dead and the police said he committed suicide. I just could not believe it because my friend was a "devout" JW almost franatical about it. Now years later since I have seen both sides of the coin I am beginning to wonder if my friend did indeed kill himself. The family has never been the same after his death. His brother who was my field service buddy for many years left JW's and does not want anything to do with JW's. I saw him a few years ago and I did not recognize him. He is so angry with the JW's and he sounds like he is abit atheist. Do any of you out there know of any JW's that committed suicide or attempted suicide? Did the elders DF'd them or make some sort of announcement for the JW's not to attend the person's funeral? Or did the elders refuse to give a funeral for the deceased JW?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sadly yes, only few months ago. She was the presiding overseer's wife. She had been in and out of hospital for a few months and had already tried to kill herself using pills. This time she hung herself from the stairs and her husband found her when he came home from work. It was terrible, the funeral, everything - terrible.

Her husband thought that she must have been feeling better that day because when he left for work she had already got up and washed her hair.

I can hardly bear to write about it.

• Miata
    Miata

Yes, when I was a teenager but had already left the org there was a friend of mine in Lake Tahoe who committed suicide. It was quite a shock to me and at the same time that I learned of this, I learned that he had been selling cocaine right in the kingdom hall during meetings. He was one my my very good friends while I was in the religion

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Suicide is a very real problem for the dubs - a result of the "rules" and always being made to feel guilty. In our experience downunder, it's the young people who are particularly succeptible.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yes I know a few.

Brummie

• Mulan
    Mulan

I know of a few who did, but only one personally. He was married, and had a young child. No one really ever knew why, other than that he had some mental problems.

Makena and Sabine's daughter is another, but I met them a couple of years afterward. That event and the aftermath is what finally took them away from the WTS. She was 21 and a regular pioneer................hers was the result of a botched elder visit.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I attempted it once.. the trigger had to do with the elders. and stress from them .

• sandy
    sandy

A girl I used to know, her mother killed herself. I am not quite sure how but I think it was in her parking garage, carbon monoxide. I never met the woman personally.

There is one strange death I always wonder about. A very nice JW guy in his early thirties who died. The story I heard was that he got too confused, not sure if he took his meds and overdosed. He suffered from depression.

Well, all the details were sealed tightly by the family. I don't blame them. The more I think about it, the more I believe he committed suicide. He was a very sweet person.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The posts of Mulan and Sassy bear out my point about the detrimental effects of living under the rules and the enforcers of the rules (elders).

How tragic!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mulan,

Tha't terrible about the sister who committed suicide after an elder's visit. What could have gone so badly?

It is all so sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit