I think I hate Mother Teresa now...

by Preston 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Right JT,

but (there is a time to act and react) and thanks GOD (whoever did good) but for instance M Luther (soft - instead of white ... for a change) and Malcom X (hard = instead of black for a change ... ) and moreover for having being there at the same time. That's how I see the utility of our capacity to do good and bad (strategic) M. Luther coud have pray God all day, I'm not sure that things would have changed, but knowing that If you hurt me I'll retaliate ... well ... it helps to negociate !

information and balance = bases of : ideas and global control

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Kenneson

I don't see what connection a person's own charitable works has to do with their factual criticism of someone's work. The argument you seem to be pushing is;

"If you haven't done charitable work you cannot criticise someone who has done charitable work even if there is room for criticism."
    But maybe you don't mean that, as that's silly.

I concur.

I also don't think giving and honest opinion of other people's works are mutually exclusive. Especially one who put herself into the spotlight because of her acts. You're right, Kenneson, there are exceptions.

You have got to look at how charities really work; where the money really goes. Because in a lot of cases, most of the donations do not get to their intended recipients.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Fleur : got to look at how charities really work; where the money really goes. Because in a lot of cases, most of the donations do not get to their intended recipients

= informations for global control

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Babyface,

As individual people reacting with one another there unfolds an endless diversity, a time for everything, birth and death, a dance between the darkness and the light, and we admire those most who selflessly fight for improvement of the lot. The wheel turns, the lights shine bright, the drums rumble, and there is drama. This is the way of things.

What is It, unmoving and silent, which witnesses it all? What is this spacious-pristine-stage on which life plays? What is closer and more intimate than even the most tender kiss, or the role we play?

There is That, which, without touching, embraces for an instant these silly words as if they were It's entire universe. It is That, which gives life to everything. And, it is -- you. Find this pool -- and dissolve into It.

j

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:

As I said, I happen to feel that advising people not to use condoms is, if it can result in death, as contrived and life-harming a doctrine as the JW's blood transfusion one. No response from you.

I did address this, when stating that I didn't think it was an accurate comparison. One is a medical intervention, the other is a preventative measure amongst several. Nonetheless, I do agree with your main objection. In the face of poverty, over-population and rampant disease, I find it hard to condone such a doctrine, too. In fact I don't, but I'm not about to start a war with my Catholic brethren.

I also see nothing wrong with due criticism; Teresa got millions; if a publically-accountable charity had the same policies and level of delivery of care as her order, it would end up in court and no one would criticise the investigation. What do you think?

I think there should be greater accountability for all charities, regardless of whether or not they are religiously based.
    Like you, I don't believe in exemption. What evidence do you have that everything wasn't "above board", though?
    I will confess that I find the figures staggering, but I'm not really talking about efficiency in my argument. Besides, it's not as if she bought her dog an air-conditioned kennel, for gawdsake.

I don't believe in 'get out of jail free' cards; you know the 'world-famous humanitarian so we won't actually question how humane she actually was as it is disrespectful' routine going on in this thread.

We're all entitled to our beliefs...

I think the idea that, essentially because she was a nun, she gets to not exercise due dilligence in financial matters or can provide doctrinally influenced medical advice without criticism is a joke.

You're combining two diverse situations here. Firstly, can you point to a lack of diligence in financial matters? Secondly, you are always going to get "doctrinally influenced medical advice" even if it's as simple as saying that everything truly is a conscience matter and leaving it to the individual. Personally I prefer the latter, but I have to acknowledge that in this imperfect world people submit themselves to the opinions and interpretations of others. Unfortunately you and I did, for long enough, and that perhaps makes us more jaded than most.

A secular person wouldn't get away with it, no matter how much of their life they devoted to it, if they did the same things. Why does doing it 'cause you think it is god's work get you off criticism?

People get away with it all the time. They are rarely taken to account for it after they have died, though. Why wasn't she taken to court while she was alive, if the evidence is so compelling? Why isn't the Catholic church being taken to court over it now, since they appear to have been the main beneficiaries?
    After all, it's not as if she was an axe-murderer - I'm not even aware of her being charged with fiddling taxes.

I don't see any connection between god, heaven, and Teresa, or how fair criticism in any way influences how easy it is to 'get to heaven' ... What it does is underline how silly thoughts related to people EARNING salvation are. If there is such a thing as salvation, we better be given it, as essentially even if we are 'saints' we are still flawed humans.

Which would also be exactly my position

I get the idea that you are reaching a new stage in your de-Dubbing. I don't think you'll like it as it involves accepting the world as it is (money-hoarding nuns who sanctify suffering and all), rather than the idealistic one you might want. It sucks, I know. I fully expected to have thrown my glasses away by now and have a pet lion.

No, I've been through that stage. I have no rose-coloured glasses regarding human-beings, regardless of whether they are "believers" or not (truly, fanatical believers can sometimes be the lowest kind of scum). As for the glasses, I threw mine away a couple of years ago when I got my eyes zapped with a laser - I recommend it as a serious "quality of life" improvement (totally non-doctrinally based, of course)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

LT

I did address this, when stating that I didn't think it was an accurate comparison.

One is a medical intervention,

... that can be used in a variety of situations (not just accident but disease) to prevent a patient's death.

the other is a preventative measure amongst several.

Amongst several forms of contraception but we are talking of it's use not only as a contraceptive (allowing smaller family size and thus better quality of life for a poor family) but as a barrier to STD's (which can kill). The only other dual preventative measure (other than abstiance which is unnatural) are Femidoms, which are just like condoms; a bag a guy comes in, except it's worn by the woman not the man.

So you might seek to say that people had other choices, but in practical terms there is often no alternative to condoms, just as in practical terms there is often no alternative to blood.

I think you feel uneasy criticising religions. JW's are open season; they're a cult etc. The fact that other religions ALSO take away one's own ability to make a choice and exercise one's own conscience and are logically just as open to criticism as JW's is disquieting. You seem to have a big dividing line in your head between the cults it is okay to knock and some mainstream religions which put their believers in more-or-less the same situation as JW's put their believers in.

The line in a case as described here is illusory.

Nonetheless, I do agree with your main objection. In the face of poverty, over-population and rampant disease, I find it hard to condone such a doctrine, too. In fact I don't, but I'm not about to start a war with my Catholic brethren.

No war needed. Just don't defend what you don't feel to be defencable just because you feel they are 'brethren'. This illustrates what I say above; you feel freer to criticise JW's. RC's are your brethren, JW's are obviously less related to you (in your own opinion) as you have no bones about saying what you feel is false or wrong about their beliefs.

Yet the harm beliefs held by RC's and JW's can do is identical. They can kill. The controls used by religous leaders are very similar; even if the 'threat' is different, there is still threat at the base of it all.

Why the double standard? If Rangers employ a sniper to shoot the opposing team's goalie it is as wrong as if Celtic do it - even though there will be those who claim otherwise!

I think there should be greater accountability for all charities, regardless of whether or not they are religiously based.

No argument from me there; my point was that there ISN'T a similar level of treatment in this case.

can you point to a lack of diligence in financial matters

Yup;

• Under Indian law the finances should be disclosed and they haven't ever been disclosed
    • Failing to return money donated by a thief from the proceeds of his crime
    • Calling themselves 'Missionaries of Charity' and only donating 7% of their income to charitable causes (that means they are 93% a fund raising organsiation for the Catholic Church; nothing wrong with that in itself but do those giving them money realise this?).

Enough? Isn't the fact that the MoC take money from people who think it will help the hungry and poor, and it doesn't help the hungry and poor enough?

Secondly, you are always going to get "doctrinally influenced medical advice" even if it's as simple as saying that everything truly is a conscience matter and leaving it to the individual.

Oh come on. You can try and minimise the difference between saying;

'use condoms and you will be punished' or 'accept blood and you will be punished' (doctrinally inflienced advice)

and

'condom use will protect you from disease' or 'a blood transfusion will probably save your life' (medical advice)

... but as there is a huge difference, you're not going to do very well. Medical advice should be non-doctrinal and can be, as I illustrate above.

As for Robert Maxwell; well, I think he blows this out the water *LOL; mental image - Bob Maxwell; Bobbing all around the Bay of Biscay*;

People get away with it all the time. They are rarely taken to account for it after they have died, though.

And you seem to think that a politician would risk or allow taking her to court! You see the reaction HERE, when someone dares to question the 'blessed teresa'. Can you imagine the effect on political aspirations?

You have yourself asked questions that have been answered in previous parts of this thread. Why? Are you are so unwilling to actually deal with what she allowed to happen under her control that you don't even read the posted evidence and instead have to have it repeated to you? People defending her post material that actualy supports everything being said about her and don't realise, perhaps because they believe the 'mother teresa story' too deeply to question it.

And no one said she was an axe murderer or Robert Maxwell; what has been said is that

• for an organsiation portraying itself as dedicated to the care of the poor and dying, it actually spent very little of its income on them and
    • its founder thought poverty was a beneficial experience and
    • she mixed with despots and accepted donations from criminals; not that 'dancing with devil' would be a bad thing if the money ended up in the bellies of the poor - I'm all for utilitarianism when it is appropriate and applaud Bob Geldof for dealing with people he despises so that more money would get to the people who needed it. Teresa was hobnobing with scum and didn't have the justification of such hobnobing allowing more money to reach the dying... well, maybe the justification to allow 7% of more money to reach the dying... but that's fairly crap IMFFHO.

Obviously we don't have to agree Ross.

To me all the complaining about MT being critiicised has thus far been bogus and unjustified. No lies have been said about her, it's just the truth ('world famous humanitarian nun wasn't that humanitarian') that the facts presented about her bear out is unpalitable.

As for laser zapping; when I can afford it mate!

Gyles

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

To be honest I have no compunture about calling religious leaders to account (hence my obtuse reference to Jimmy Swaggart's air-conditioned kennel). Shall we take a non-religious example to explain my point? Mandela was also mentioned, in the thread. He has been the catalyst for a lot of good in SA. Should we start concentrating on things that occured earlier in his life when he has subsequently sworn against them? I have just as much an issue over denigrating his name, when it's being used to some good.

I'm appalled that only 7% of the SoM charity funds went to the poor, however there's a pragmatic side that comes to my mind which is that had those efforts not been taken even that sum wouldn't have reached them. Is it better to have an inefficient tractor rather than no tractor at all. That isn't to say that their game doesn't need lifting, as I think that's obvious to see.

Our opinions aren't that far apart, but I wonder if your view of mine may be being clouded by you knowledge that I'm a "believer". I really don't know what you think that entails, but a frontal lobotomy was not part of the process.

I'm also not taking about contraceptive measures, in my comments. All contraceptive measures are prohibited by the RCs. I'm exclusively talking about measures to reduce the risk of the spread of communicable diseaases. In this arena abstainance IS an option (there are others like mutual masturbation, though I'm not sure what the RCs have to say about this). You may view it as an unhealthy/unnatural option, but I would posit that the health risks (mental and physical) are likely less that of protected sex. It should also be added that protected sex is also "unnatural", if you really want to get down to it, though please don't take that as me having anything against it.

• frankiespeakin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit