I think I hate Mother Teresa now...

by Preston 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

under74,

I've been unable to find a primary source for the quote that "The suffering of the poor is something very beautiful". It may in fact, be a paraphrasing by Christopher Hitchen. I have his book The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice. If I can find it, I'll check for a context. One gem that did come from the very mouth of that sacred cow is:

One day I met a lady who was dying of cancer in a most terrible condition. And I told her, I say, "You know, this terrible pain is only the kiss of Jesus--a sign that you have come so close to Jesus on the cross that he can kiss you." And she joined her hands together and said, "Mother Teresa, please tell Jesus to stop kissing me."

- From An address by Mother Teresa at the National Prayer Breakfast February 3, 1994
    http://www.catholic.org/clife/teresa/address.php

• jwbot
    jwbot

LittleToe: in Africa where 25% of the people have AIDS, do you still feel that married persons should abstain from sex?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:I don't know the context she said this in but I will say that I didn't grow up with much and it's not that I consider it a virtue but I do think that I learned much from it.

Well, you can be pretty goddamn sure that her context was far different than that of a westerner saying "I didn't grow up with much and it's not that I consider it a virtue but I do think that I learned much from it."

*shakes head*

And reading JT's comments, you'd almost get the idea that all human endevour is meaningless. Well one human endevour has been to deify Mother Theresa. If she is in fact just another bullshit propoganda piece and far from being someone to be admired, then another worthy human endevour would be to find that out and view her legacy accordingly. Oh, I'm sorry, I'm suggesting that humans not take on another bullshit myth!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jwbot:

LittleToe: in Africa where 25% of the people have AIDS, do you still feel that married persons should abstain from sex?

If their beliefs preclude barrier contraception and they want to remain risk-free (which is a dubious 100%possibility, given the fact that guerillas are known for raping a large number of victims), then I'd say "yes". The alternative is a non-promiscuous lifestyle for men and women, which is a healthcare option promoted by the Catholic church (of which I am no part, incidentally, nor do I condone their stance on ccontraception). You pay your money, you take your choice. Why should that be any less the case for those who hold various beliefs? Education is a huge factor.
    But getting back to the cause, that surely is being involved with infected partners, not the means (or lack thereof) of taking effective countermeasures whilst engaging in a high-risk activity? I would put good sexual health education above sexual doctrinal teaching, any day of the week...

• Fleur
    Fleur

I've read and am thinking over everyone's contributions to this thread and this will be my last post in the thread since I've learned it's better for me to steer clear of subjects that upset me so much.

Whether you agree with the church (or don't, I don't) about condom use or contraception as a whole or abortion (I wish there could be better options) the issue still remains why mother Teresa availed herself of the first class care and treatment that was denied the people she ministered to.

JT once again posts lots to make me think. I will continue to ponder it as I do all his posts.

In the end the point I keep coming back to is this: if the life and lot of poverty was good enough for those dying before her, in fact, likened to favor from Christ, then she should have been willing to die in her own hospice among them. That seems a lot more christ-like than flying to California on a private jet to be treated.

I'm sure that she did some good in her life. Most people do, intentionally or even unintentionally. Most people just aren't as famous for it. Example, do you know the name of the woman who has devoted her life to saving girls in Africa from the ruining effects of obstetric fistula? You should.*

www.fistulahospital.org

There's a woman I can truly respect. Along with another I heard about recently. She lost her own daughter to AIDS, and in her grief, had shut down. Then the local authorities asked if she could care for a child who was orphaned by AIDS. Then another. Then another. Now she has many living with her and has opened a school for even more of them. Her name is Haregewoin Teferra, and she is much more of a hero to me than Teresa will ever be.

With that, I want to say that I respect everyone's right to their opinions on this and I bow out of the discussion.

hugs

essie

*Her name is Dr. Catherine Hamlin.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Essie:
    I guess I just have issues with people maligning the dead, especially when they have contributed so much of their life to humanitarian efforts (regardless of their motivation, or the care that they themselves received).

You should.*

Why should we?
    Should everyone in the West take full cognisance of every disease category and humanitarian relief efforts that are conducted in the third world? It might be insighful, but would unlikely be practical.

I never knew Theresa, I'm not especially well disposed to the Catholic church and a good proportion of their doctrine, and as for the sainthood thing, don't even get me started on that one. Even yet I cannot help but applaud the contribution she made - credit where credit is due, huh?. That being the case, why should I hate her??

• Fleur
    Fleur

Littletoe,

My post only expresses my opinions. I feel that you should know about Dr. Hamlin because she is continuing to do, with much less notoriety, work that is changing lives. I found my own life to be enriched by knowing about her, and that is why I think everyone should be aware of the work she is doing.

As far as speaking ill of the dead...credit where credit is due indeed. But we speak ill here all the time about those who took the lead in the WTS and cost the lives of many due to refusal of blood transfusions. I see no difference in that than speaking this way about one nun who did some good in her life and also caused much suffering by furthering the beliefs that she held as holy. I see no difference between the guilt that comes with telling people that they can't use contraception thus furthering the spread of AIDS than the guilt that comes with making up rules barring blood transfusions and costing lives that way. Only that I think more people have died from the church's stand on contraception than from the JW blood belief. (edited, forgive me, my MS is at war with my brain this morning and I forgot to add the final point) Some could argue that the WTS has done good works, helping the poor in some countries, rescuing people from drug abuse (I know many who say the "Truth" saved them from a life of drugs). But does the good offset the bad? I know that in the Society's case I don't think so. I also don't think that the good that Teresa did offset the doctrines that she preached which have caused needless suffering to millions of people.

Again, this is just my opinion. You're entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine, and I respectfully leave it at that. I won't post in this thread again, talk amongst yourselves... (as the coffee talk lady would say...)

hugs

essie

edited cause I forgot to add, I don't advocate hating anyone. But I don't think that any human deserves sainthood...all of us are as imperfect as the next.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Even yet I cannot help but applaud the contribution she made

Which was what exactly?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Essie:

Again, this is just my opinion. You're entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine, and I respectfully leave it at that.

Likewise
    Btw, I believe you are right to mention the work of those two individuals. They deserve their plaudits, too.

Oh, and I asked you not to get me started on the sainthood thing... In this I agree with you...

(((hugs)))

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:

Which was what exactly?

When did you last raise money for hospices, far less work in one?
    Most people I know don't have the stomach to visit one, far less maintain meaningful conversation with the terminally ill...

She did that far from hearth and home.
    So whilst we might pontificate, sat here in the comparatively cosy West, I don't believe we have much scope to point fingers...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit