I think I hate Mother Teresa now...

by Preston 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under74
    under74

wow

Little Toe and Narkissos came in when I thought the thread was dying. Where were you guys when I was getting knocked around? Nevermind, it's not important. What's important is that if the thread dies now it'll be like the ending of Seven Samurai...or something like that....where my side wins....after a long and drawn out battle....THE END.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Under74:
    Which side were you on again?

~commits Seppuku~

• under74
    under74

Any side that wasn't against me...

and didn't make me mad...

• Brummie
    Brummie

While I dont believe in her philosophy or many of her doctrine, I appreciate the sacrifice she made to help many of the people she did. I want to be the male version of her when I grow up, though I doubt I could ever be.

Brummie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

It's so easy to criticize. And all who are critical, exactly what are you doing to alleviate suffering?

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Don't be made Under74 : I think you need a kiss cause yes they've been harsh (a bit too much)

But when it comes from someone like abbadon for instance (and even anyone after all - we can't jugde you for real), really just don't take it personnaly ...

Also you have defended yourself very well Man ! : I mean, I think that I've understood what you meant exactly when you expressed yourself

What's important is that if the thread dies now it'll be like the ending of Seven Samurai...or something like that....where my side wins....after a long and drawn out battle....THE END.

... ok it's like you got high again ... U74 the Joker ? ... Cool ....

Read you soon U74 !

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I would agree with the statement "sacrifice in itself is a virtue"

I've never been able to understand that. Giving up something dear to you for something more important is admirable, but giving something up just for the sake of giving it up strikes me as pointless and perverse.

My heart broke when I read (earlier on the thread) of the person who asked to stop being kissed... I honestly don't think that particular philosophy would have been the attitude of the biblical Christ that Therasa claimed to follow.

Nor do I. Jesus frequently healed the sick. He never gave any indication that he took pleasure in their suffering.

So the world would have been a better place had she never lived? The net sum of her efforts were negative? You'll excuse me if I question that...

It's hard to call. Certainly some of the people who died under her care would have died on the streets if she hadn't been around. She possibly made their lives more bearable, even if she refused to make them comfortable. She certainly appealed to the better nature of relatively wealthy Westerners who donated a lot of money to her order; but, as most of it was never used for its intended purpose, I have to wonder if it might have been better had that money gone to a real charity. What if some of the women who saw Teresa's compassion and joined her order had become doctors, nurses or teachers instead of (or as well as) nuns? Whether she did more bad than good is probably impossible to say, but she was definitely in a position to do more good, to really help people and she chose not to.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:

I've never been able to understand that. Giving up something dear to you for something more important is admirable, but giving something up just for the sake of giving it up strikes me as pointless and perverse.

I agree.

What if some of the women who saw Teresa's compassion and joined her order had become doctors, nurses or teachers instead of (or as well as) nuns?

Didn't some of them do that? Honestly, hospice work is a vocation!
    I seem to recall that Florence Nightingale got some stick, too.

Whether she did more bad than good is probably impossible to say, but she was definitely in a position to do more good, to really help people and she chose not to.

Sometimes people help in the only way they know how...

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Abaddon,

Yes, what about all the evil? In context of all mans inhumanity to man, what I am saying sounds pretty much insane.

In a way the people you mentioned were true to themselves, true to the individual person they sincerely and unquestionably believed themselves to be. The problem is, is that this believed self, is not the True Self, which I was referring to earlier.

When we identify with a tiny separate self, as is common to do, we identify with a fragile little piece in search of wholeness. There are many different avenues in which people attempt their search, such as religion, science, materialism, sex, politics, etc. Those who find themselves in a position of great power over others, can easily believe themselves superior and some like those you mentioned have little qualms of wholesale killing. The spectrum of the search for wholeness is wide and incorporates actions and endeavors from the most kind, to the most evil; but the fuel is the same: the yearning and hunger for wholeness and completeness. All suffering, all "evil", is due to misidentification with a tiny broken self which was born and will die.

Our true Identity is not whole -- it is Wholeness. Our true Identity is not complete -- It is Completeness.

When there is earnest and sincere investigation within the deepest sense of Being, the greatest discovery can be made that I am not what I (the self) believe itself to be, but rather I am the Wholeness sought. This, is the one true Self of everything and everyone. This was Hitler's true Identity, and It is yours.

When it is spoken like this, it sounds crazy; and I am not here to try and convince anyone or have them believe any of this. It has to be seen first hand as our true Identity which is far more real and actual than the individual person we for so long have believed ourselves to be.

I can not answer your questions as well as you would like them to be, because you -- are the answer.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:All suffering, all "evil", is due to misidentification with a tiny broken self which was born and will die.

Well that's a bold statement!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit