I think I hate Mother Teresa now...

by Preston 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Preston
    Preston

I've been reading Christopher Hitchen's Love Poverty, and War. It's a pretty good book that puts a lot of things in perspective regarding Iraq, Iran, Pakistan...there's even a section on Mother Teresa. This section...was probably the most interesting part of the whole book I have read so far. I thought some of this stuff was interesting....

pg 311 - "...where awarded the nobel prize for peace, she announced that the greatest threat to world peace was .... abortion. And on other occasions she had proclaimed that abortion and contraception were morally equivalent. Logically, this would mean she believed that contraception was also a great - if not indeed the greatest - threat to world peace."

pg 312 - "When asked if I knew anything about her work among the poor, and whether I had ever met her, I replied that I had walked around Calcutta in her company and formed the conclusion that she was not so much a friend of the poor as a friend of poverty. She praised poverty and disease and suffering as gifts from on high, and told people to accept these gifts joyfully. She was adamantly opposed to the only policy that has ever alleviated poverty in any country-that is, the empowerment of women, and the extension of their control over their own fertility. Her famous Calcutta clinic was in fact nothing more that a primitive hospice-a place for people to die, and a place where medical treatment was vestigial or nonexistent (when she became ill herself, she flew first-class to a private clinic in California) The vast sums of money she raised were spent mainly on building convents in her own honor. And she had befriended a whole series of rich crooks... from Charles Keating to the hideous Duvalier dynasty in Haiti, having accepted from both large donations of money that had actually been stolen from the poor."

pg 313 - "She had written to a judge in the case - a certain Lance Into - pleading that Keating was a good man. He'd been good to her all right, lending her a private jet and handng her $1.4 million."

pg 313 - "In 1995 the people of Ireland held a referendum on whether to allow divorce and remarriage. Mother Teresa intervened forcibly on the side of the "no" campaign. An irishwoman, if married to an alcoholic, incestuous abuser, was suppose to put up with it, or offer it up. But in the same year, Mother Teresa gave an interview to ladies' Home Journal saying she was glad to hear her friend Princess Diana was getting divorced, since the royal marriage was so obviously an unhappy one. I said I hoped this was hyporisy, since otherwise it would look like the medieval church, preaching strict morals to the poor and offering indulgences to the rich"

Hitchens was allowed to give testimony for the Vatican regarding the case for her sainthood...I wonder how his testimony went? It sounds like she could of been a great JW elder....

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Her famous Calcutta clinic was in fact nothing more that a primitive hospice-a place for people to die, and a place where medical treatment was vestigial or nonexistent (when she became ill herself, she flew first-class to a private clinic in California) The vast sums of money she raised were spent mainly on building convents in her own honor. And she had befriended a whole series of rich crooks... from Charles Keating to the hideous Duvalier dynasty in Haiti, having accepted from both large donations of money that had actually been stolen from the poor."
    In 1995 the people of Ireland held a referendum on whether to allow divorce and remarriage. Mother Teresa intervened forcibly on the side of the "no" campaign. An irishwoman, if married to an alcoholic, incestuous abuser, was suppose to put up with it, or offer it up. But in the same year, Mother Teresa gave an interview to ladies' Home Journal saying she was glad to hear her friend Princess Diana was getting divorced, since the royal marriage was so obviously an unhappy one. I said I hoped this was hyporisy, since otherwise it would look like the medieval church, preaching strict morals to the poor and offering indulgences to the rich"

You know, I always felt that there was something not quite right about that woman. It seems to me that people who are really interested in helping others, in giving, in charity, do so with very few people knowing what they've really done. The more famous someone gets for being so 'selfless' and 'giving' the more I question their real agenda. Sounds like she was another one putting the desires of the church above the health and well being of the people. Poverty a gift. She should have enjoyed that gift herself then, if it was such a blessing!

That is really creepy.

hugs

essie

p.s. love your avatar...strong xander! strong xander! (i hope that is the character I thought it was)

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

It's understandable how such discoveries can make one feel uncomfortable. However, take anyones life story, place it under a microscope, and you will find hypocrisy.

Looking non-judgmentally within ourselves and welcoming the darkness that dwells there, makes us not more malevolent and cold, but rather more compassionate, warm and understanding. In other words, the weaknesses we see in others is not nearly as important as the failings we embrace within ourselves.

• under74
    under74

Very true. JamesThomas You have an exceptional way with words...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I agree with JT, however I would also offer the fact that she was merely supporting her beliefs.
    The writing style certainly paints her in an especially poor light. Do we forget so easily that people of each generation are raised differently. Sometimes we act as if this generation is the only one that has ever existed, and so everyone must share our values. That is patently untrue.

I suspect that our great-grandchildren will look back at us and shake their heads, wondering at our mean-mindedness...

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

OT: Is it true that Mother Teresa, nearing death, expressed doubt in (a) God?

• Panda
    Panda

SP: LOL wow that would really be something... but she would more likely not believe the RC church . She obviously liked her position as saviour to the poor in India. Yet there are many poor in her homeland of Albania. Why didn't she stay there? She was a proponent for the Catholic church and never tried to hide that proselytising was her main concern.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Here's a man who did more for the poor and sick of Calcutta than Mother Teresa and her houses of death ever did:

http://homepage.oanet.com/jaywhy/jack.htm

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

FunkyD-

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Supporting ones beliefs is not a valid excuse for supporting a doctrine that contributes to suffering and poverty, unless one also believes that such suffering and poverty are desirable states.

It would appear there is no doubt from her own writings that Teresa felt that povery and suffering were desirable states.

Why should 'belief' sanitise that? Would I have felt better that being strangled by a Thugee in 19thC India was a result of sincerely held beliefs?

Do children dying from hunger feel happier knowing the Pope approves of their mother's blind faith in his oppostion to contraception?

What kind of god would be happy with their spokesman supporting policies that lead to the transmission of leathal infection? Or, perhaps more improtantly, what kind of psyche can believe in such a cruel entity? Perhaps one that is prepared (by its enculturation) for such logical and moral travesties.

When will belief cease to be an excuse to wash the hands of those who harm others or support policies that harm others?

It makes me sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit