Who was the strangest JW you ever met?

by Preston 30 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

LOL,

This is a great thread. I think I am the strangest JW I have ever known, but I have known some really odd people along the way as well. Yall's stories bring back some funny memories.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Joel

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Definitely, the strangest people I ever knew in the KH were this huge family named Trask. They were traveling vagabonds, from Oregon to Arizona, to Colorado to Missouri. Always looking like they lived on "Tobacco road". Four of the grandchildren had a mother who had whiskers all around her mouth, on her chin, and she was one really weird chick. She wouldn't let her daughter wear anything that was pretty, made her wear clothes that were too big and old for her. If any of us gave the poor girl some clothes, the Mom threw them away, saying they were too "provocative" looking. These were just NICE dresses with lace and and buttons,in Gunne Sax style (women who sew will know what I'm referring to) The father was a painter, and he was always filthy. Like he rarely bathed or brushed his teeth (shudder). It seemed like the congregation was always trying to help them out financially. They would stick around for awhile, then move on to the next congregation. Weirdest family I ever did see.

The mother of the painter was a long-time Pioneer. A lovely woman but she had some strange stories to tell. Like the time their roof was leaking like a sieve, and she couldn't afford to fix it. She said she prayed and the roof fixed itself. lol She had a son who was in his thirties at that time, and he was brain damaged from a truck accident which had killed her husband in the '60's. The son was two at the time, and he flew up and hit the metal bar between the front windows (old 52 chevy truck), causing permanent brain damage. He was a nice guy and he married another "slow" girl in another congregation. I don't know what ever happened to them, but that was one STRANGE family!

RCat

• malk
    malk

This story (about the Trask family) caught my eye, and I for a minute I thought you were talking about a family I knew. Their last name was Griffo though. Really nice ppl, kind hearted, but crazier than fruit loops. The father was a painter as well, and they moved from cong. to cong all over the country. I remember when I was a child, they were in our cong. in Saratoga Springs, but then moved on, out west to Oregon, Arizona, California....all over the place. (The mother's family, the Whites, were pretty wild as well. Her brother stood up in 1st grade and told all the Catholic children they were going to die at the hands of Jehovah.....they all went home crying). There's not enough room on the Internet to share the amount of stories I have from this family. At 15, we moved to AZ, and at 16 I moved back to NY, by that time they also had moved back. I met up with one of their kids, my age...we were in his car, and he stopped off at his house, and I'm in the back seat of his jeep waiting. All of a sudden, his dad, Larry comes flying out of his front door with a huge sword.....runs to the car and tries to stab me with it, yelling some kinds of crazy African sounding something or another. He kept jabbing that sword into the back seat, and I'm squirming all over the place....I make it out of the car, and Larry chases me down the street....in nothing but his underwear! It was great (especially being that I survived). They had like 5 or 6 kids, and I hung out with them alot, they were more fun than the rest of them. Larry Jr. took the cake (last I knew he was in Attica)...He was hanging out with us one night at another friend's house, and the father of this other friend had all sorts of meds (he was in Vietnam), so Larry gets ahold of something, valium I think, and swipes it. Next morning, Ruthie, the mom calls me up...."you have to come do something about Larry, he's on something!".....I go over there, and Larry (JR) is just out of it, took the whole bottle I think....anyway, he swears he's going to work, and what with the insanity in the family I wasn't arguing. So, he puts on his hockey skates, and off we go. He was working on a construction site, new condos. And he worked on the roof. He climbs up the ladder, somehow, took him a while (I stuck around for the show, in my car). He gets to the peak, and you know those big fires they have on construction sites, to warm up in the winter, and to dispose of the scraps? Yep, you got it right.....skated right down that 3 story roof, and right into that huge fire, funniest thing I think I've ever seen! The family was always dear to me though, they took no crap from the church, NONE, and I appreciated that. They moved to a town just outside Orlando, and we went to visit them once. What a trip....Larry (the father) had me out in the bayous in the middle of nowhere, and he was going to catch dinner (they ate anything). He finds a huge snapping turtle, and he's gonna catch it (mind you Larry was a very big man, biggest gut I ever seen) so, he jumps on this thing, and it takes off running, which I was amazed at the speed this thing got, especially with Larry on it's back.....he ran into the swamp, which was infested with alligators....and him and Larry were flying around this swamp like crazy, under water above water, it was insane....gaters licking their chops by now....finally Larry knew when to cut his losses and swam out (we ate cray fish that night, easier to catch). To say the least, this family was not all there, but like I said, very kind hearted. I was upset to hear this past weekend that they're not together anymore, and the kids are scattered all over the country....so sad. And their one son (Sean, with the jeep) has passed away. I haven't been in contact with the family in years due to my disfellowshipping, but if anyone reading this ever runs into any of them, please send my love. Ruth Griffo, I believe is in Coos Bay, OR area, I believe Sean (who passed away) was in the Davenport, FL cong. And the rest of them I don't have a clue. This type of thing has been the hardest for me to deal with, as with all the rest of us DF/Possessed members....

Matthew Hill
    Saratoga Springs, NY Congregation Refugee

http://www.land-and-deed.com/emart/emartstart.html

• malk
    malk

Matthew Hill
    Saratoga Springs, NY Congregation Refugee

http://www.land-and-deed.com/emart/emartstart.html

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

This is BY FAR the strangest JW I've ever met.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

he's GW and anyones better than a liberty stealin' democrat!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Can I add GodRules to my list?

A recovering Jehovah's Witness. Kinda like alcohol, but not as fun. Just ask J. Rutherford.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

HAHAHa ohh Man I can't narrow it down to any given stories just yet!!!

Riz I can understand why you'd have a HARD time norrowing them down HAHHAHAHA ohh man, kinda glad NOT to see my aunts in the list though!!!

For your old hall I'd pick JR (think he condtucts WT) anyway for as long as I remember I was OFFENEDED at EVERY converstaion I've ever had with him. HAHAH one of my fav stories of his was he was conducting bookstudy, and they were in the REV book. and the Pic of New Jerulsam which is depicted by a lady with blue hair and a white dress.

Now he asked how from just looking at the pic they could prove that she was only a figurative woman???? (apprently he thought the artist was inspired HAHAH) give up?? I would have picked the blue hair myself but no HIS official asnwer was because she's flat chested and wouldn't be desireable!!! I SWEAR THAT'S WHAT HE SAID during bookstudy. One of my aunts was none to please to hear that HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA and that's all I have to say about that, hmmmm is that why he always talked to me????

Anyway that's a little Story from Riz and Nate's hall!!!! hahhha

Ven

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong, is to let him have his own way."---Josh Billings

• matahari
    matahari

The strangest JW I ever met was again an older single man who used to give the most extraordinary talks on the Ministry School. One highly memorable one was a bible reading from Ruth and Boaz. When he finished the reading he declared to the assembled company in his strange nasal tones. "I don't know much about Ruth and Boaz but I do know that many years ago Hollywood saw fit to make this love story into a film. Now, I can't tell you if this film was good or bad because I didn't see it but I can tell you that the man who played Boaz was the same actor who played Colonel Klink in "Hogan's Heroes". Then he sat down.

I was new to the congregation so I couldn't believe that everyone sat there with a straight face as if it were completely normal. They laughed about it for months afterwards. He was the most often quoted brother in the congregation as he was the only one who was allowed to say anything original. He was always thought to be very eccentric and therefore able to say things he hadn't read in the Watchtower. I look back now and think he was the sanest one there. At least he thought for himself.

He was certainly more with it than the Circuit Overseers wife who gave me advice for "dealing with homosexuals" at the doors. (A man had told me he was gay and I hadn't run a mile as I was never homophobic even as a Witness - thus I placed the Watchtower with him - poor sod). She said "When I meet a young man who tells me he is a homosexual I show him the scripture about Jehovah fulfilling the desire of every living thing. And then I show them the picture of the paradise and say "Now what is the desire of every young girl? The desire of every young girl is to have a husband. Now if all these men are homosexual they will be robbing these young girls of perfectly good husbands." And you know - they can't answer that. They have nothing to say when I tell them that." Mmm I bet they don't - I imagine they just shut the door in disbelief.

I remember thinking as a regular pioneer working with a COs wife - "For fuck's sake - are you on drugs or something?" She did always look a little wired come to think of it...

• Flip
    Flip
    I remember thinking as a regular pioneer working with a COs wife - "For fuck's sake - are you on drugs or something?" She did always look a little wired come to think of it...

Matahari, In the words of Rick to the Capitaine while the aircraft engine noise recedes into the night, they stroll across the rain slicked runway tarmac and into the mist, he says, “…I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship…”

LOL, Keep your observations coming and welcome, indeed!

Flip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit