Your favorite JW made-up word

by dorothy 41 Replies latest jw friends

• dorothy
    dorothy

Ok, they have lots of "witnessy" sayings. But the best is the words they keep making up.

Mine is "super-fine apostles" (from an Awake a few months ago). What's yours?

• lawrence
    lawrence

I love "worldlings."

• franklin J
    franklin J

any old timers remember "contact point" ? Which was later changed to "rendevous"?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    any old timers remember "contact point" ? Which was later changed to "rendevous"?

This is one old timer that remembers. I remember my mom and myself laughing over the implication of a "rendezvous". I must have been about 15.

• undercover
    undercover

It's not really a made up word, but the meaning of the word is totally changed from what normal people think:

"Publisher"

When non-JWs hear the word "publisher" they think of someone who prints books, magazines or newspapers. When JWs use the word they think of other Jehovah's Witnesses. A buzzword to always remind us that we were more than just believers, but that we were all expected to give our time and effort in trying to gain new converts.

edited to add a real made up word that I remember: backcall before return visits(which qualifies by itself) we called them backcalls.

• blondie
    blondie

happifying

w91 12/15 p. 8 Rejoice in the Kingdom Hope! ***

Since Jehovah is the Source of all good and happifying things, all of his intelligent creatures can find happiness in their association with him.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Theocratic warfare...it almost sounded like ya got to use a gun or a sword...finally!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I don't know if they made it up, but how about the pre pioneer phrase of "cole porteurs" or something like that...I thought they were talking about that composer....

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

its not a made up word but they use " behoove " In talks a lot .. who uses that word in this day and time anymore?

• blondie
    blondie

What is a colporteur?

Definition

A colporteur is a person who travels about selling books.

Not a madeup word but shows that they were not preachers of the good news of the kingdom. At this time in WTS history, this is exactly what they did; they did not conduct bible studies or make "return visits."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit