Your favorite quote about religion/God?

by formerout 38 Replies latest social humour

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Jesus loves you. Then again, so does Barney.

• badwillie
    badwillie

"Religion is opium for the masses"

- Karl Marx

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality."

Albert Einstein

• minimus
    minimus

Millions now living will never die!.......That's the STUPIDEST quote of any religion.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt.

--Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

When I left the troof ...this one helped a lot:

"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."

I also like this one:

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad." ( Aldous Huxley )

I also saw a bumper sticker once that said:

"Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole!" Gotta get that one for my car!

• nilfun
    nilfun

When God is silent, men can make Him say anything.

(rough quote. can't remember who said it first..JPS? *shrug*)

• avishai
    avishai

OK, here's a few by Robert heinlein

A long and wicked life followed by five minutes of perfect grace gets you into Heaven. An equally long life of decent living and good works followed by one outburst of taking the name of the Lord in vain - then have a heart attack at that moment and be damned for eternity. Is that the system?

Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated of nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing - with "obscenity" and "indecent exposure" fighting it out for the second and third place.

One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful - just stupid).

Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

• professor
    professor
    "I'd rather have questions that I cannot answer than answers that I cannot question."

I really liked that one. Where is it from?

• Odrade
    Odrade

"do you really think the whole planet is in a world of shit because a talking snake told a naked lady to eat a piece of fruit?" -- Dave Seven006

This seems appropriate sometimes too:

?There is no use in trying,? said Alice; ?one can?t believe impossible things.? ?I dare say you haven?t had much practice,? said the Queen. ?When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I?ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.? --Louis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit