by formerout 38 Replies latest social humour

• Snowcrash
    Snowcrash

Something I read here, actually.

"A man without God is like a fish without a bicycle."

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I'm a Voltaire fan:

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

Superintendant Chalmers on the Simpsons:

A prayer....a prayer in a public school?! God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion.
  • flower
    flower

"I'd rather have questions that I cannot answer than answers that I cannot question."

"Religion is a snare and a racket."

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If tricycles had a god it would have three wheels.

Nothing fails like prayer.

Every god is created in the image of the one who worships it.

• Badger
    Badger

Religion is the daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to the Ignorant the nature of the Unknowable -- Ambrose Beirce

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

"Guilt is like a bag of fucking bricks. All you gotta is set it down... Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? God? Is that it? God? Well I tell you. Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift and then what does he do? I swear, for his own amusement, his own private cosmic gag reel he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch but don't taste. Taste but don't swallow. And while you're jumping on one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughing his sick fucking ass off. He's a tightass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee-landlord! Worship that? Never! "

Milton (the devil) in the movie The Devils Advocate

• Badger
    Badger

Heat:

classic Pacino rant...but I thought his "the inches are out there" from Any Given Sunday was a better monolouge. That, and his "Who put this thing together? Me!" from Scarface are my Words from Al to Live By

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

1885 Nietzsche: "God is dead."

1900 God: "Nietzsche is dead."

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I don?t believe in atheists.
    -Neal Boortz

I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion - I have shudder'd at it - I shudder no more - I could be
    martyr'd for my religion - love is my religion - I could die for that - I could die for you. My creed is love and you are its only tenet

-John Keats

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit