Should I teach my kids about Santa Claus? (Lie vs. Harmless Fantasy)

by AlmostAtheist 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

You should have called me, Rachel. I always have something.............from grandpa's stash of "free" stuff.

I get to see them get in there car all dressed up as Santa and Mrs. Claus. Off they go to touch the hearts of many for another day. RHCP (the way they have touched my heart)

A car? Santa in a car?

• karategirl
    karategirl

I grew up as a witness and began celebrating after I left and married a non-JW. When my daughter was born I was determined to not lie to her and tell her Santa was real. Besides the idea of telling your child to sit on a strange man's lap just didn't seem right. I have always had such an aversion to Santa and religious connection to Christmas that I won't allow anyone to give me anything with either Santa, Jesus, Mary or an angel on it. Although more recently I have started collecting a few angels.

My daughter says to me a couple weeks ago when we are decorating the tree, "do you believe in Santa mom?". I told her of course not. She looks at me kind of hurt and says, "well I do." I actually wish that I had given her that fantasy. She gets really uncomfortable everytime anyone mentions Santa and looks at me waiting for me to react. I really feel and she does too, that she has been short changed on this one. What's funny is that I always taught her about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Talk about inconsistencies.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I just got home from the store, and the clerk wanted to read my t-shirt, which says "I still believe in Santa". She said "I believe in Santa too...............how can you not, at this time of year?" She is older than I am.

I just think it's part of the magic of Christmas.

Mulan **who resisted buying yet another Santa display***

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit