Should I teach my kids about Santa Claus? (Lie vs. Harmless Fantasy)

by AlmostAtheist 62 Replies latest jw friends

• kj
    kj

I was not raised JW, and I believed in Santa until I was about 6. I was not upset at all when I found out he wasn't real. I was happy just to continue celebrating Christmas with family and exchange presents. Some kids really do get upset, but I guess each kid is different. It really is a very personal decision.

kj

• rekless
    rekless

The story of Santa is true. There was a man called St. Nick that went around and gave gifts to children; therefore, you would not be lying.

• heathen
    heathen

rekless--- The fact is this guy named ST. Nick is dead not living in the north pole flying around in a sled driven by reindeer surrounded by elves . Another part of the myth I don't like is the belief that christ was born Dec. 25 th .It's a belief started by a cult .

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

It's too heavy for them to fully comprehend. Just let them live the fun and magic of the holidays, just for the fun of it. It'll come a time when they'll know the truth all by themselves. Why spoil it now?

Santa Claus and all the stuff of the holidays is just for fun and joy. Don't spoil things.

DY

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

I'm in the same boat with my ex..he doesn't want me "lying" to our son about it. I believe that Santa represents the magic that is Christmas. The lights, the good will, the family time, everything, and I plan to express it to him that way. When my daughter was in home daycare, the lady that watched her, her family was JW. I had no problem with this, I'm pretty open minded about religion (to a certain degree) up until one of her granddaughters told my daughter that Santa wasn't real. She went on to tell her it was all a lie, how could there be a Santa, the guy in the mall isn't him, etc. My daughter was around 4/5 at this time. She was VERY upset, so I told her that of course the guy in the mall wasn't Santa...did she really think that he could be in so many different places at once?? I told her that what happened was Santa was busy at the North Pole, so he has this phone, he calls helpers, and they go out & do the mall thing so he can get the toys done. I was pretty proud of myself I must say as that was completely off the cuff, and to this day my now 15 year old daughter says she was very thankful for my explanation as it made sense to her at the time. I must add she's not damaged at all about the deception. It's the magic of Christmas I plan to share with my son.

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

I agree with Leolaia. I see no harm in it. Santa visited me and I wasn't scarred for life - that's not to say some kids don't harbor resentment (ie Big Tex up there). I would venture to say your wife just wants your children to experience the excitement of it, and probably she wants to experience seeing the joy and wonderment in your kids eyes, waking up on Christmas morn to an obscene display of gifts that were brought to them magically during the night. I also agree with the concept that Leolaia mentioned that I believe there is a very serious amount doubt in the minds of children that Santa isn't real but they willfully choose to believe because of the fun of it.

• kj
    kj
    Another part of the myth I don't like is the belief that christ was born Dec. 25 th .

Heathen,

I am a Christian, and while I celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25th, I know that is not His actual birthdate, and I've never been to a church that teaches that it is. Are there people who teach that it really is?

kj

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

SeekingKnowledge - your Avitar is unfair! I preferred the hairball scene.

AA and others

I suggest you learn about Santa, Christ Mass and it's origins. Allow Christmas and talk about the various parts of the celebration and where they come from. Leave out the attitude of paganism being bad or wrong. Much of it is historic, and carries a great deal of mysticism, spirituality, AND practicality, and neighborlyness (if that's a word). I usually make birdseed ornaments and give them away. This is part of pre-christian influence to feed the birds and animals by decorating outside trees with apples and other food.

Hugs and Happy Holidays!

Brenda

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

PS Learning and teaching a little bit about Chanakka and incorporating it into your Christ Mass would balance things out.

-B

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Have you ever seen, smelled, tasted, touched or felt the non-existence of Santa Claus? Can you prove he doesn't exist? Not trying to be peevish, but what you said is you "know for a fact." Technically, that requires empirical proof.

Maybe this will help you overcome your unwillingness to indulge in fantasy.

Respectfully,
    B_Ing Invisible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit