Should I teach my kids about Santa Claus? (Lie vs. Harmless Fantasy)

by AlmostAtheist 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

I would rather have my kids involved in happy fantasies instead of Armageddon doomsday craziness. Besides all of those things are kind of like a family heirloom. They get passed from generation to generation and as each one gets older the story and meaning of Santa, for instance, changes. It also doesn't last that long. My kids know that when me and mommy talk to Santa about toys we're looking at report cards and behavior. They also skip Santa and call me straight up asking for the GameBoy..*LOL* Enjoy the time you have were your kids have the smile on their face and brains churning over Santa coming down the chimney, or the little winged fairy flying off with a tooth..good stuff.*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

If you wanted to find some middle ground on this issue, you could tell your child "The end of December is a time when we celebrate the longest night of the year, by decorating a tree, and by exchanging gifts with one another." If your child is old enough to understand what the Solstice means, you could actually tell them something true. There is a wonderful childrens books titled "The Winter Solstice" by Ellen Jackson, with beautiful illustrations by Jan Davey Ellis, which shows how various cultures around the world observe the day. Cultures include Scots, Romans, Celts, Scandanavians, Hopi, Pueblo, etc. Highly recommended, as are her books on the three other quarter days.

• Badger
    Badger

I'd rather my son know he gets is presents from me. Besides, we both know no white guy would hang aournd our neighborhood after dark...

• heathen
    heathen

LMAO@badger --- It's also a sad reality that the holiday season is also a season for criminals . I don't think they report this on the news as far as how much buisnesses lose because of shoplifting or how many homes are broken into in order to steal someone elses stuff . Santa doesn't come down a chimney but many crooks will come in through a window . I don't think it cult thinking to realise the facts but rather to suspend disbelief .

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

When he was small, I told my son the story of Santa.

When he was 7 or 8 he asked me if it was true... Was there really a Santa? How could he get to all the children?

I told him, "Well, I see you are now big enough to be in on the Big Secret. There is a real Santa, but he doesn't have a red suit and live at the North Pole. The Big Secret is that all the adults are the real Santa! WE (your mom, dad, uncles, aunts, etc) get all the gifts for all the little children! It is the greatest, must fun thing to do! And now you are big enough to know the secret, and you are big enough to be Santa, too!"

From then on, he helps pick out gifts for others...and loves writing, "From Santa!" on the cards.

He loves being Santa!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

The other good part of this is since was 7 or 8 he has known the truth and can thank the people who get him the gifts...and I think that is a good thing.

I also like that he gives gifts to the little ones as Santa, and they don't know it was him. It is pure giving. I like that.

And I think it is good because I told him the truth when he asked me a serious question. I want him to know that he can ask me for info, and I will tell him!

• heathen
    heathen

Bahhhhhhhh Humbug !!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

My parents became JW's when I was 4 years old.

I believed in Santa Claus until I was about 9. I thought he just didn't come to our house anymore. I really don't remember when I learned he wasn't real, but it sure didn't scar me for life.

I bought a bright red T shirt on Tuesday that says "I still believe in Santa Claus" and my house is decorated in lots of Santa stuff. I just love the fantasy of it all.

I don't know one child who has been harmed by this story. My youngest son had several imaginary friends when he was little, and it never occurred to me to tell him they weren't really there. He even had an imaginary dog.

• formerout
    formerout

lisaBObeesa,

I like the way you dealt with it with your son. Very positive way to approach it.

In general it doesn't seem like believing in Santa, (whether it's implanted by peers, TV or parents) and the changing of the belief after, results in any harm to the children. If our kids are playing with a make-believe friend we wouldn't step in and tell them that that friend is not real.

Whichever way you choose to deal with it, as long as you deal with it in a positive way, IMO, it will turn out fine.

Brad

• Scully
    Scully

Is reading a fictional story to a child (like Green Eggs and Ham) "lying" to a child?

Is allowing a child to watch fictional characters on TV - from Big Bird, to Mr. Rogers, to Pokemon, to Disney characters - "lying" to them?

The WTS makes such a big deal about how stories about Santa Claus are "lies", yet every time an adult switches on Star Trek or CSI or Bugs Bunny, they are hearing and seeing fictional stories - "lies", in effect - made up about imaginary characters.

The thing about Santa Claus is that he is claimed to give things to children that they want. And JWs only want their children to believe in the fictional character "Jehovah" to give them everything they want: like Living Forever in Paradise on Earth?; like being able to have their very own pet lion or pet giraffe in the New System?, like never being sick, or having loved ones come back from the dead. And JW kids have to be impeccably good, otherwise Jehovah will kill them at Armageddon. Santa only gives out lumps of coal to the bad kids, but he doesn't kill people like Jehovah does.

Children enjoy the magic of Christmas and Santa Claus - they figure it out a lot sooner than you realize that mom and dad are "Santa's Helpers" - but they like indulging in the fantasy. It feels good to think that there's someone who has that kind of unconditional love for them other than their parents, even if that someone only "visits" once a year. Besides, Santa Claus is based on a real person: "Saint Nicholas" - which is more than one can say about Jehovah.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit