Why ? Why? WHY???

by rune 160 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

First, being a human means having a pre-programed set of highly complex aleels that give rise to our phenotype. That includes not only our physical qualities but tendencies of behavior, predispositions toward "wonderment" and a sense of "need" to know and to love. Now you can call it a waste of time to ponder the origins or the extension of life, why we are here and where we are going, I happen to think it is a force to move us forward as individuals intellectually, morally and socially. I'll throw in spiritually, but we may differ on the definition. It also seems to motivate us to evolve politically and corporately, beyond socialization to higher and higher levels of unity while maintaining diversity. As a biologist, ex JW, now Baha'i I don't believe that this complex system that far transends the capacity of mere beasts is a result of an un-numbered series of happy accidents. Just as mathematical probability says life likely exists on other globes it also suggests that inteligence is unlikely to evolve from non-intelligence. Lots of tomes written on this subject trying to conjure how it could.

Second, believing in the existence of the metaphysical need not be burdensome or any more complicated than denying it. Both are easy concepts to live with. Some (many) turn it into a burden by being so engrossed into it we are made weary being around them. Just go to E-watchman for a few minutes and you will see how much everything that moves or doesn't is accredited to Jehovah or Satan. God, it gets sickning. Religious belief, IMHO means gaining and respecting all humans, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin or degree of misguidedness! Seeing all humanity as wearing white hats rather than white and black, is the goal of humanity, whether or not it wants it or sees it. We either evolve toward that degree of humanity or we will use the forces at hand to destroy ourselves. It is a do-it-yourself kit. Even in biblical times this was true. Follow precepts for survival and you prosper, don't and you won't. IMO, being "chosen" means being selected as an example to the rest of humanity. Nothing more!

Last, I would disagree that there is no explanation for the great questions of life. Whether or not you like or are satisfied with the answers, however, is another question. We in the west are so embued with the philosophical notion of freedom to the nth degree, that it is difficult to accept "submission" to any external set of commandments or laws. Yet daily we subject ourselves to driving on prescribed side of the street, obeying all kinds of laws. We recognize for the most part their importance in an ordered society. Religious law, if derived from a source that you accept that has "authority" must be utilitarian and conducive to human advancement. If not is it better to be without. I would suggest you broaden your search for answers and not consider all religion is this or that until you have intensely investigated to see if there is not one that is reasonable and relevant, not one that is based on 2000 to 6000 year old precepts and mythical stories.

regards,

carmel

• formerout
    formerout

Interesting points Carmel. It made me think about a couple of things. As humans we do, as you said, subject ourselves to laws all the time (driving etc.) but we tend to try to avoid it in bigger laws that govern the Universe.

In another sense, if we look at the fact that we treat all humans as equals now as being a big step, it is hard to move beyond that to accepting that all creatures on the Earth and in the Universe, for that matter, are on equal terms with each other.

It's interesting that the greatest minds all seemed to ignore the things that a lot of us place importance on. Einstein, for example dressed the same all the time because he didn't want to use his brain to determine things like dress when there were so many greater thoughts for his mind to process.

Brad

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Why do we ask questions about life and our purpose here?

Because, that's what the brain does,, it asked those questions that it scans for those that perhaps have an advantage in knowing the answer to. And the mind seems to like mystery. (The mind is always in the past the memory).

The individual "I" which is an invention of the mind seeks to stand out,, and aquire,,it's also a funtion of the "I" to own things,, to own feelings,, to own thoughts,,to aquire experiences,,things to enhance itself, or at least things which it considers will enhances itself,, things that make the "I" feel good. (The I is pleasure oriented). And so we ask these questions for the pleasure and advantage they may give us,,if they did not give us some emotional pleasure or fear we would not inquire.

• Preston
    Preston

I read your comments rune and.....well, I don't know exacly the proper way to address each and every one of your points. You may not of realized it when you wrote your post, but if you were to re-read everything you wrote and compare it to John Lennon's lyrics in his song "Imagine" You will find the parallels quite striking because I think he was getting at something that you were referring to in your post, and that is if we could just speculate that we could be wrong in our political or religious beliefs, or that if there was no God, or religion, would it help us to be at greater peace with each other. I sense within your orginal post an internal sense of protest with humanity in general. I do agree with you with...well everything in your post. You were spot on, however, I feel that any protest should be tempered with a understanding of the opposing viewpoint for lack of a better word. Is an ant's life less important than a bird's, is it strange that people have such a clear cut understanding of the world around them? Is life really less than the approach that people give it? Rather than giving you my view on each and every one of your points I will say this, I do believe there is a healthy need, just as important as breathing, sleeping, and eating, a need to feel important. People take this approach in different ways, but people in general like the easy answers. I don't have a single shread of proof that there is some benevolent force in this universe, but I feel that belief in one is important for our mental health. I don't know why, I just need to feel connected with something outside of humanity that reinforces us that...everything will be ok.

I do not hold that much hope toward people in general. I will never in a million years understand how the majority of people in our country have not an ounce of sympathy toward the people of Sudan, the general populace of other countries, or the hundred thousand or so people killed in Iraq. I think collectively as a nation less and less people care about these things, and the longer that we do, the more likely the reality will be brought to our doorstep.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I would just like to add to my post above:

And so we ask these questions for pleasure they give us,,if they did not give us some emotional pleasure or fear we would not inquire.

Evolution made our minds to function in certain "primal" directions that made us develope thought unique to our species. But as to what causes thought to "apear" in the mind that is a great mystery,,try thinking about it,, what happens just before a thought comes into "view"?? what preceeded the thought that pushed it to consciousness??This questions if answered leads to more questions with no end insight.

• rune
    rune

seattleniceguy: Well I didn't mean for it to sound like I was against science, but I see what you mean. I was really getting at the layman, i.e. someone who isn't a scientist and only learns what he needs to know to progress in his life, including perhaps some minor focussed interest on some random topic. Curiosity is great, but what's the point if the curiosity gets aimed in a completely fruitless direction that yields nothing less than wrong answers? In that case it's better not to have even wasted the time, at least in my opinion - unless you derive some enjoyment from ascertaining wrong info. I guess what you're getting at is getting your curiosity satisfied, even if the satisfaction comes from something that is not demonstratable (and therefore most likely incorrect). I am definitely NOT an atheist, nor am I suggesting anyone become one. I say sitting on the fence is the closest thing you can get to being accurate at this point in time... But I also look for evidence of what's true and what isn't, because even if I don't believe anything for certain, my views CAN be influenced towards a certain direction if the likelihood (that is, probability) of something being true over something else looks more favorable. For instance, creationist ideas vs the theory of evolution. There are new discoveries being made the world over that provide more links to support the evolutionary theory. For instance, a recent one is hominins (also referred to as hobbits in lieu of the recent Lord of the Rings remake). These little half-sized humanoids used miniature tools, had some sort of social structure and interacted with the size of humans we are used to, but unfortunately for them they were all wiped out for some reason or another (probably food shortage). I don't have the link handy so I suggest that anyone interested who hasn't heard about this search it up.

Tigerman: I'm afraid you'll have to explain what you're talking about better if you want me to have any inkling of understanding as what you mean...

formerout: Read what I said a little more carefully... it's not that I'm against wondering the big questions specifically, it's that I'm against deciding on answers as true rather than just leaving oneself open to all possibilities. My mind floats around on different issues all the time, but I never make the mistake of just deciding on one answer. It's easy to just juggle around a couple idea and see them all as possible without picking one. I think searching for any kind of golden enlightenment without being able to know verifiably is foolish and once again, delusional. Of course we're ignorant? So what? That only proves that we cannot verifiably know almost anything that the mystical pertains to, and furthermore what is the point of calling yourself enlightened if it only equivalates to being a regular person (except that you go around calling yourself enlightened, thereby making yourself look pretentious and arrogant). Besides isn't 'truly enlightened' intended to mean that someone knows everything? I can assure you there is no such thing in truth in the human race. And as you should know, whenever I make a definite statement like that, using 'there is', I am never meaning for certain, I am meaning the lean of probability is far against it. It takes PROOF to tip the scales in the favor of the unbelievable. Unconditional love? Please, shed this fairy tale notion that humanity is going to unite and band together as one, that everyone is going to drop all traces of violence, greed, and corruption. It just isn't happening. Our nature as a race is to try to seek out the best circumstances, which leads to some people stepping on others' toes as it were. You won't get this boring gray utopian paradise of love you dream of. Just drop it... You're only setting yourself up for the fall. Questioning the craziness around you is not pessimism. If you think it's negative to think of the mundane things as the only thing, then you are not alone and you are among the billions of people on this earth I pity as being too weak to accept the most likely truth.

Carmel: I'm aware that genetics make us each a little different from one another. But in a sense humans do not variate all that much, it is really a subjective matter of thinking whether the spectrum of human differences constitutes a vast and wide amount of changse between individuals or whether it is rather small in comparison to other things that can variate in slightly different configurations of their particles. It isn't a waste of time to ponder these things, but it is a waste of time to decide on one, and start molding your life around it. I disagree that the desire for knowledge pushes 'us' forward. I think it varies, but in general, the majority of the population is quite content living as comfortably as it can without really making any new discoveries, but rather being fed a series of information it desires as told by someone else. This is a different thing from being a scientist discovering new information on a frontier left unexplored, even if it is as small as determining which kinds of cotton shrink the least in the wash. Mathematics, as you say, do not lean against the probability of intelligence forming - obviously, since it happened! What would be the error in this are the factors considered for intelligence to form. You take the time life has been on this planet, consider a number of factors we are probably never going to know (such as how many species developed, ecosystems, 'adaptations' [or random developments] in organisms that happened to be favorable with said ecosystems, natural disasters, and well, a whole flood of points that would just be take an insurmountable of paleontological work, among other fields). If life is here, and mathematics function, then the error would lie in the formula that for calculating the chance of life occurring, is my point. Yes, religion can have its benefits for us and boons for humanity, but as a whole it I think it would serve everyone better if it were not around all. Wishful thinking! I was only wondering why people do it, I already know that mysticism is never going to go away! I never meant to say that there are absolutely no answers - but I am certain that there are no actual truthful explanations for them right now, and I feel that science is the only way we are going to push to knowing anything about those questions in a more 'certain' sense. Laws and rules in society are set down for two reasons: For dominance/control for the government so that it is not uprooted, and for protection/aid of the people at large. Of course there are laws, so what? If we didn't have them with a government mob of police to point guns at us to make us do what they say, then people would do what they want. Human nature, nay, primate nature, at its finest. Religious authority only ever was a form of government, shrug, if you don't see it that way because you are mystical then that is your bias, not mine.

formerout (again): The bigger laws that govern the Universe? I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken. You may see yourself as benign, but that does not extend the morals held in your brain to blanket the entire universe. Creatures are not on equal terms with one another. That's what survival of the fittest is all about. I agree that morals are a good thing to have, because they are a generally beneficial thing to utilize so that (hopefully) other people will treat you the same way back. They are a form of etiquette for life that can, as you say, be ignored. They are as made up as any other laws or rules however. Mystical beliefs aside, when some woman in a poor country buries her newborn baby in the ground while its still alive and no one ever discovers this, the baby has lost, and she has got away with this act. I see it as cruel and horrible as anyone does, but I was raised to believe that killing was wrong and to try to be a compassionate person. Morality, like our laws, are merely a system for living that was invented to theoretically be the best way of running things in our lives, as in society. If everyone followed them, yes, great, but as I said it isn't going to happen, at least not through any humanitarian means (genetic manipulation, brainwashing from birth of every newborn human........etc). Some people are just quirky. Einstein was one of them. So what? I see every person involved in mysticism as the same way.

frankiespeakin: You seem confused too. It is similar to the nominal fallacy to explain something by what it is in this case. "The brain thinks like a brain because it is...a brain. That's just what it does." I am questioning the basis for need to turn to these mystical searches through the ideas of other people rather than leaving one's mind completely open to possibility, swayed only by proof/evidence/heightened possibility. All I'm getting so far is that people like believing life is magical because it makes them happy. That's great, I just wish people would quit beating around the bush.

Preston: Well my question was actually to get an understand of the opposing viewpoint. But just to clarify of who I am and who the opposition are: I am of the people who do not choose something as 'true', the people who are not swayed without evidence and proof. I am questioning the opposition; those who do decide something is true, often with things like 'faith' to back it up, without verifiable proof for all to see. And I'm asking them; why? Why do you have to be so crazy and illogical? I am hoping to discern some logic to their searches and to their decisions to believe - so far, like I said, I'm getting it's because it enriches their lives even if it's not verifiably true. And that's good. But I also see religion mucking up lives, as it did mine. So questioning it really isn't just a stab at the opposition, it's an inquisition to whether it's all worth it. You are right, people do need to feel important in some way. Whether this is a trait of our entire species or not, I'm not sure. Maybe some people don't care and I just haven't met them... who knows. I think you are dead on with the 'easy answers' comment. I don't think it's necessary for everyone's mental health, just those without the integrity and guts to know that the mundane is all you get. I see it as a stage of growing as a person, a stage which many people never overcome for whatever reason. If you don't leave the magical world of dreams and illusions behind you, you never fully grow...whether this is such a bad thing, I'm not sure, but I don't like the problems these mystical beliefs have caused in some lives...hence back to the questioning. It is not a matter of hope whether people care about others' deaths, it is a matter of using what you see to better shape your understanding of the nature of humanity. The more you seem to understand from what you have personally seen, the less you will be shocked. The less shocking life is, the less stressed you are, and hence the more enjoyment you can derive from it. Or at least....that's how it runs for me.

frankiespeakin (again): Actually that is not true. Many primates can think in a dulled, slower way with a memory far lesser in comparison to ours. Even insects and fish have memories, even if they are short. Chimpanzees and dolphins hold a remarkable intellect, with complicated systems of speech and social behaviour. Chimpanzees can be taught rudimentary tasks that a child could be taught, even those involving speech. Chimpanzees have feelings too, or at least, as much of that as can be observed as from watching a human. Our minds are simply, faster, better and able to hold a whole load more symbols than that of a chimp's or another animal's. In actuality, most people can only remember something like 7 to 9 items at a time, before they begin to push the oldest items from their active memory to squeeze in new ones. Memorization generally is influenced greatly by this. Our minds, like our bodies, are finite, and the pretentious assumption that our minds have some great power of infinite dimensions is just well, wrong.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Rune

I am completely open to everything but at once I will always question whether what others say is the absolute truth until it is clear for all to see.

That's the best and only way to be - the standpoint I work from, also! However, please accept that when it is finally clear to you it still won't be clear to others, no matter how hard you might try.

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rune:

When I was 18 I thought my father was an idiot.
    When I was 21 I was astounded at how much he'd learnt in the last three years.
    When I was 30 I wished I had half the sense he had.

You're manner is unfortunate, but not surprising given your age.
    Experience is a fantastic teacher. Often it teaches us to simply remain silent and listen, a lesson that many fail to learn.

You've been here about a month and posted 18 times, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    I would caution you, however, to research individuals before you blindly go putting them down. If you try slapping Dansk again, I'll be on your case like white on rice

Having totally disarmed you with my ingratiating manner, I'll comment on this:

The fact is you're alive today because your time hasn't happened yet.

That sounds a little fatalistic and quite contrary to your anti-mystical perspective.
    Are you sure you don't carry a few preconceived notions yourself?
    In addition, are you sure that your dad turning atheist, while you were young, hasn't influenced your thinking in any way?

I would now suggest you re-read Dansk's first post. He put it as plainly as can be.
    Just to add an allegory - have you ever smelt Africa? I have, and it has entered my blood and captured my soul. Unless you've been to Africa I suspect you haven't the faintest notion of what I'm talking about.

• LittleToe
  • googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

i've read about a place in our brain, where the "spirituality" is located... i only read german articles about it, so you probably have to search yourself, here are two links in english:

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/ezek104.html
    http://www.andrewnewberg.com

there is the opinion that epileptic people would be more religious, because this specific part of the brain would be more active then... thus the prophets, the apostle paul and the like where probably all insane in the brain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit