Why ? Why? WHY???

by rune 160 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

It has been my experience, and LIttleToe's experience, and Dansk's experience that the proof of God is ALWAYS truly personal. It makes sense (to me) that it is that way: That way those who truly don't need God don't have to deal with him. But I believe that he is always there when we do...

...More than that, even if they went to Hell, it is standard Christian doctrine that Christ has the keys to that place, whatever and wherever it is: he has gone there to rescue people before, and could very well do it again... maybe in the fullness of eternity Hell will be empty completely as people slowly are redeemed, one by one...

God has shown himself to me and not to you, it makes better sense when I say that God has not shown himself to you YET. I also wanted to point out that the "truly personal" aspect of the proof of God is exactly what convinces believers so thoroughly. that is why I was curious if you even had an idea of what God's proof to you might be? You certainly don't have to tell me, and these proofs tend to sound silly even to fellow believers - but it seems that you already have an idea what I am talking about...

Czar, I've considered posting here... by why should I when you have simply read my mind-- and then fully revised it so it is so organized and concise? (Ummm, should I be paying you for that??...) You are a veritable screwball, besides.

(Oh, and btw czar, I was surprised to read in Calvin years ago [it was a commentary on Ephesians, I believe, which was in the library of a Presbyterian church] that precisely because God, not ourselves, who know who the 'elect' are, we have all the more reason to have hope and faith for all the 'hopeless' causes. Far, far from being fatalistic, it presented strong hope against all odds. [Perhaps I should mention that the church we currently attend is arminian--the opposite of Calvinism. ])

bebu

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

God has shown himself to me and not to you, it makes better sense when I say that God has not shown himself to you YET.

Sure ...

see we ain't going nowhere ... you still haven proven anything ... (we could have stayed on common bases but NO you don't want to ...) ok then ... but I know all what you've told me NOTHING NEW ... SAME OLD WHATEVER !!!

• Golf
    Golf

Why? A sense of accomplishment. Why? It's the right thing to do. Why? Execute my responsibility. Why? The challenge. Why? I'm compelled to learning. Why? I set goals for myself.

Will Rogers once said, "The more I travel, the more I realize how little I know." I've injected my own thoughts to his comment by adding, '...the more I meet people, the more I realize how little I know."

• formerout
    formerout

Rune said,

czarofmischiefb: Um, ok, so you're trying to live up to your name by repeating some of the same old wrong things that formerout and LittleToe said earlier in this post I take it?

Rune,

I will leave myself wide open for your critcism here. (To be honest, it seems like that is all you have in your psyche anyway, so what the hell.)

Don't ask a question of other people (as you have done here on this forum), when your (either conscious or subcoscious) reason is to criticize others. Nobody here thinks the same way that you do. Not even FBB does, although your acceptance of her "logic" has been noted as being noteworthy because hers is the closest to your rants.

The next time you post a topic on here can you please make it evident from the very beginning that you wish to only have replies that stroke your own ego? Stupid people like Little Toe, Czar and myself will not waste our time, if you had of done so when you asked, "Why? Why? WHY???"

Brad

• one
    one

The original poster is more than justified to ask the question and think in the way he does.

Even as stupid as we all human are, just about anything humans build comes with a manual written, IN PLAIN LANGUAJE. Purpose is stated for the manufactured device. And in some cases the NOT intented purpose and how to dispose of the device once you dont need it.anymore, is also stated.

I sometimes wonder how humans found out potatoes were good for food, after applying some heat. And why the best vegetables do not grow wild... are weaker than weed, goats and other more stupid animals have a culinary advantage..

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

One : how humans found out potatoes were good for food, after applying some heat. And why the best vegetables do not grow wild... are weaker than weed, goats and other more stupid animals have a culinary advantage..

Also there was a time where we were JW's and believed "diamond-hard" that they had the truth, and shut the door to reality ... how many ways did you have to make your life better (for yourself, your familly and for others ?) how many things did you think was not needed to think about ? ...

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    see we ain't going nowhere ... you still haven proven anything ... (we could have stayed on common bases but NO you don't want to ...) ok then ... but I know all what you've told me NOTHING NEW ... SAME OLD WHATEVER !!!

What do you want to hear? What kind of "new thing" could I tell you? If you are looking for proof of Creation, then a scientist could tell you eight million more amazing things than the things I know about. If you are looking for proof that we did not evolve purely by chance, then a psychologist or a neurosurgeon would be able to tell you a million amazing things about our brain, body, and our higher reasoning abilities.

If you want to hear about visions, miracles, answered prayers... wouldn't you condemn me as being delusional? Even if you had a vision yourself, wouldn't you doubt the evidence of your own senses and check yourself into a mental hospital rather than change your worldview ? and even if you believed it, wouldn't you promptly get angry that God doesn't do that for EVERYBODY? Why he lets bad things happen on this earth?

The answer is I can't prove anything to you. Which is humbling for me. To admit that my faith is competely mine and nobody else's (although the czarina also believes like I do, based on the evidence of our shared experiences). Maybe that is why God is so individual about it: to keep the believers from feeling like they are some kind of uber-mensch. And frankly, I have no interest in proving anything. I entered this discussion to talk about WHY people believe what they believe. I am going to try another tack, here.

But common bases? You know, I think that the Leftists really shot themselves in the foot when they discarded all religion, religious expression, and the bible. They agitate constantly for change but promptly tossed away the purest motivation for it: spirituality. The greatest protection for the poor is summed up in words that are almost universally accepted as being from God, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Just look at the results! Slavery in America ended as a result of Biblethumpers denouncing the inhuman treatment of our fellow man - which motivated the masses of Northern soldiers. Usury laws, which keep our credit cards at a max of 21 percent, are based on Old Testament prejudices against lending at interest. One black preacher accomplished, with fine Christian rhetoric, the civil changes that fifty years of Communist agitation completely failed to produce. Even evil people, like Stalin, had to accept that religion could motivate what mere self-interest could not... and made a deal with the Orthodox priests to help defend Russia in WW2.

I'm just saying, our common base, whether you believe it word for word or not, is the Bible. It is the cornerstone of our culture. If we talk in Bible terms, we can communicate higher purposes to each other. The only other motivation that is as pure as the spiritual is self-preservation. And that has a completely different set of priorites.

CZAR

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    Czar, I've considered posting here... by why should I when you have simply read my mind-- and then fully revised it so it is so organized and concise? (Ummm, should I be paying you for that??...) You are a veritable screwball, besides.

Yep. I read Bebu's mind. Pretty racy stuff... LOL! Believe me, that chapter about the water balloons was payment enough

Merry Christmas, everybody!

CZAR

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

What do you want to hear?

I give up CZAR we do not surf on the same wave ... What do YOU want to hear ? That I agree with what you call proofs ?
    There isn't any proof and, nothing logical in what you said !

Sorry I don't feel like to be mystified about the mistic (even if I believe in some mistic stuffs but not in the same way) ... too much real stuffs that we are already mystified about ... so if you don't mind I care real onces first ... When you'll get a real proof, give me call, sure I'll take my time know about it !

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    What do YOU want to hear ? That I agree with what you call proofs ? There isn't any proof and, nothing logical in what you said !

I don't need to hear anything, FBB. That's my point. I cannot prove anything to you. I was just curious what exactly it would take to prove God to you, personally.

Remember, the original question was Why do people keep believing in God? I tried to explain why as best as I could, but maybe I can't even do that. I'm not very good at this sort of thing, really.

What common bases were you talking about? I'm confused.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit