Well ,I Just Had An Elder Come By To See If I Wanted To Go For A Beer

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

A little before 5p.m., I got a call asking me how long I'd be working to. It was my ex best friend, I'll call Roger. I haven't seen him in many years but we were best friends while growing up. I recognized his voice. When I told him the time he was just about ready to hang up and I said, "Roger, is that you?" He said, "Yes!". I asked him why he called. He said he just wanted to stop by when I got out of work to see how I was doing. I told him that I was leaving shortly and he said he'd be right over. I asked him why he was calling and he was being evasive with me. So at 5:20 he bopped in and after exchanging the typical pleasantries, he asked me if I wanted to go for a beer. I told him that I had some things to do but I wanted to know why he wanted to "go for a beer". He said, "just to talk". I said, talk about what?".......He said, "just things." So I said, "Look, Roger, I've known you for many years. I haven't seen you in almost 10 years. Since I'm not stupid, and you've got 10 minutes, why don't you tell me what you want and why you're here?" I said, "You want to know why I'm not going to the meetings, right? And by the way, I didn't appreciate how you tried to use theocratic strategy with me by not telling me who you were when you called". He nervously laughed and then began twitching noticeably. I said, Just so you'll know, I'm not going to tell you anything as to why I am not going to meetings. And no matter what you ask, I'm not going there." He said, "I wouldn't want to ask you anything you don't want to talk about, it's just that we had so many years in the truth together and now I understand you don't go to anymore meetings". I said, "That's right". So he again prodded and I again said, "Like I said, I'm not going there. You see anything that I might say COULD get you to feel it's your responsibility to call the elders and have them talk to me and they have tried and I don't discuss certain things with them".....He said, "What do you mean that you could say something that might make me feel I need to speak to the elders. which I wouldn't do"......I said, "If, let's say for instance that a certain brother really bothered me and made me stop going to meetings, you'd feel that because you loved me, you'd feel obliged to inform the elders of what you knew so that I could come back to the "truth"." He agreed. He then realized nothing was going to change so I told him to give me a few days notice next time and if I'm not busy, I'd go with him for a beer or 3.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Min,

Just like the mafia...it's not your enemies that will get you...It's your "friends".

-BONEZZ

• minimus
    minimus

They're always "concerned". When I told him I didn't like his "theocratic strategy" and deciet, I felt real good.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I'm surprised they have not been showing up at your house at odd hours. They are usually so predictable when it comes to things like that.

• one
    one

min,

it is obvious now but i will say that again

"YOU are being tracked"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/80495/3.ashx

• codeblue
    codeblue

Min:

I liked how you responded to your "friend"....how he was trying to manipulate you and you simply said: "I am not going to tell you anything"....(end of story).

I applaud you and wish I had used that same line recently. I will keep that for future reference.

Thank you,

CodeBlue

• Pole
    Pole

A long-time fader who makes explicit statements about not wanting to go back to the meetings is difficult to categorise by WTS standards. It's fun to watch them trying to come up with an explanation.

They can't figure out if you are only a "spiritually weak" one or maybe already a "mad apostate".

Pole

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Min,

Sorry to hear an old friend turning on you like that. It would be nice if he was sincere though.

Well be careful and If he's up to no good box his ears in.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

mini: sounds like you had fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! john

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Way to go Min!

It's amazing how transparent they are, isn't it?

No Apologies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit